Page 23 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 23

denise is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    any comments on vlc and thyroid issues for women - I think I have seen posts that there could be a link posted before?? It kinda scares me - but then I am a wuss and easily scared by "you could do permanent damage" stuff..

I am experimenting on myself and, according to a formula based on body weight that was posted on this thread, at 66kg I should be eating 66g protein, 33g carbs and 132g fat a day?? I am a bit "off" today then at 96g protein, 43g carbs and 72g fat. MOAR fat, as you say. BUT its lower protein and higher fat than I have been doing so lets see.

If it might give me satiety, energy, potential weight loss/maintenance (if I watch calories) and no cravings, I'm up for a month or so to see what happens - that should be long enough right?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Paleobird - thank you.
    I am 7kg down, and have 19kg to go. I am currently 79/80 kg. Age = 48, height= 1.7m, and am in the process of getting back into jogging/walking 1/2 - 1 hour per day. Am just upping the time out on the road. I do strength training 2/3 times per week. I have looked at my calorie intake and have readjusted for tomorrow and will begin again. ( I have been eating huge calories !!!!!)I realise that for my height, my weight could be quite fine at 65kg, but would like to try in the long term for 60kg.
    anyway thank you. You are truely an inspiration with your advice and your wisdom.
    have the best day, and I shall head off to bed for the night !
    It's an interesting thing with goal weights, you can't know how they will look on you till you get there. I am 5'4" and have recently reached 60kg and I've found it's plenty skinny enough. Even though it's the same weight I was at 18 I'm pretty sure I have more muscle now, therefore my bodyfat % must be less. Anyway, I dont want to actually look like a teenager any more. Gwamma, you are taller than me, and you also do strength training, so I suspect you would not need to go this low. You are probably closer to your goal than you realise, keep up the good work.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You look amazing, Goldie!
    +1

Okay, I think is 25-30 g is net carb, then I do not have to count stuff. I will see if I chicken out this Saturday and still do a carb-up, leaning towards Cyclic -Ketonic rather than full-time ketonic. I did not follow the supper meal plan yesterday, swapping canned salmon with spinach for leftover chicken breast pieces fried with bacon bits and a bit of cheese sprinkle to crispy 'em up and the brown butter & sunflower seed zucchini, so I do not know my ratios, but I am pretty sure they are decent enough. Feeling good so far, no dizzy spells, no artificial hunger.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-31-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
    thanks for the reassurance sbhikes!! Change is scary I guess, whatever it is.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Wow, my body type looks almost exactly like yours, including the tummy structure. I'm two inches shorter but about four pounds lighter, which sounds about right. I eat about 1300 cals/day but with no exercise (no kids either).

This may be TMI: but if I'm a very good girl and follow Primal 95% for a couple weeks with no snacking, I get a pretty consistent *ahem* good bowel urge within 10 minutes of breakfast, days in a row, usually followed by a pound or two of fat loss and a smaller stomach and a little more self-confidence. I wonder if this is a sign of ketosis, or just efficient body fat burn.

Urban forager, with some practice, you can "eyeball" your calories by sight. Take a few pictures of a typical day's food. Find a good calorie counter (I use fitday.com), and enter it in to see where you are. Adjust the portions or whatever to find a the calorie level you want. Prepare another day of food, again taking pictures. Now line up the pictures to get an idea of how big the lumps on the plate should be.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Dang, I am jealous! I'm at a 225x5, so I guess it's a similar lift. Different body types indeed!
    And I am jealous of your deadlifts number! I made some goals with my trainer a few weeks ago (justbefore my thumb injury, go figure) and my goal is 240 for the DL. You are practically already there!
    Last edited by gempdx44; 08-31-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

Leida is offline Senior Member
    240 lbs on the deadlift before this year is out is my goal too. My PB was 205 so far.

What other goals do you gals have?

Mine are:

SQT: 180 (PB is 155 lbs)
    BP: 95 lbs
    OHP: clean 70 lbs lift, I can do a push press now, but I want a clean 70 lbs lift!
    BBR: 110 lbs with no hip action
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    And I am jealous of your deadlifts number! I made some goals with my trainer a few weeks ago (justbefore my thumb injury, go figure) and my goal is 240 for the DL. You are practically already there!
    Haha, thanks. I also have a finger injury right now after going bowling, so I won't be making any gains these next few weeks, for sure. As of right now my max is 265x1, but I am aiming for 2x bodyweight by the end of the year, which means probably losing another 10 lbs to 140 and increasing my DL to 280. Since I started seriously doing deadlifts in March, for which my 1rm was 230-235, I am getting pretty anxious xD

gempdx44 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    240 lbs on the deadlift before this year is out is my goal too. My PB was 205 so far.

What other goals do you gals have?

Mine are:

SQT: 180 (PB is 155 lbs)
    BP: 95 lbs
    OHP: clean 70 lbs lift, I can do a push press now, but I want a clean 70 lbs lift!
    BBR: 110 lbs with no hip action

Hi Leida,

My end of year goals are:

Achieve body fat % of 20%. (currently 23-24%)

Bench Press: 135 pounds
    Back Squat: 185 pounds
    Front Squat: 135 pounds
    Deadlift: 240 pounds
    Pullup/Chinup:at least one pullup or chinup, unassisted

It's funny, out of all these I am most scared of the pullup/chinup! I feel like I am so far from even being able to do 1. My trainer won't allow kipping, so no assistance from momentum, LOL.
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

Page 23 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast