Page 16 of 104 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 16

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Strange, he also says fasting or having 2 meals a day is terrible for you and makes you lose muscle mass.
    Now this is interesting. Before I went travelling, I was moving into deeper ketosis and having the appetite suppressant effect. When I had a couple of days of car and plane travel I cut way back on my meals (for convenience and comfort) but tried to keep to similar macros. My serum ketones went down for days after that, and I wondered if it might be because my body stopped using fat as fuel and started consuming muscle. I don't have any other explanation about the dropping levels!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Here is a fat packed recipe-instead of xylitol you can use stevia or honey or whatever you want. It is from the bulletproof diet. I'm not here arguing the diet, just offering a good fat recipe. Don't eat it unless you are fully fat adapted! It would be very hard to to stomach and you will pack on weight if you are not replacing your fat and limiting your protein. I make it and put it in these little rubbermaid condiment containers in the freezer. I am so satisfied-I eat it and then go into about a 16 hour IF with just bulletproof coffee. It is the ultimate feeling of satiety and I have tons of energy through the day :

“Get Some” Ice Cream
    Ingredients

4 whole eggs (pastured of course)
    4 yolks (in addition to the whole eggs above)
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 gram vitamin C (ascorbic acid) or 10 drops apple cider vinegar or lime juice to taste.
    100 grams (7 tbs) grass-fed butter
    100 grams (7tbs) coconut oil
    50 grams (3tbs + 2tsp) MCT oil (important for consistency)
    80 grams (5.5tbs) xylitol or erythritol (or more to taste – you can add up to 160 grams if you want)
    ~100 grams water or ice (just under 1/2 cup; add less than you think you need, then increase the amount).
    Methods

Blend everything but the water/ice in blender. It takes a while to get the butter blended into perfect creaminess.
    Add water or ice and blend some more until well blended. Ideally, you want a yogurt-like consistency for creamy ice cream, or add more water for a firmer, icier texture
    Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and turn it on.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Now this is interesting. Before I went travelling, I was moving into deeper ketosis and having the appetite suppressant effect. When I had a couple of days of car and plane travel I cut way back on my meals (for convenience and comfort) but tried to keep to similar macros. My serum ketones went down for days after that, and I wondered if it might be because my body stopped using fat as fuel and started consuming muscle. I don't have any other explanation about the dropping levels!
    From what I've heard, your measured ketone levels go down after you've been in ketosis for a while since you start using the ketones for fuel instead of "wasting" them.

Also, I'd just like to say that I'm enjoying this thread. Lots of good info. I am a Leangains adherent for the most part, so I eat fairly high carb all the time, especially workout days. But if I stop getting such good results with the program or just get tired of it, I might give ketosis a try. I would definitely miss the flexibility and variety of eating carb-heavy dishes though.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Guys, I remember in the old Anabolic Diet times the conversation went that carbs from the stuff like eggs, cheese and liver did not count to the total, just carbs from the vegetables. Does this still hold true to the whole ketosis ideal? Because I remember how liver always jeopardized carb counts for me.

HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% = range for protein grams/day
    HSIS weight in kilos divided by 2 = upper end for carb grams/day
    The rest of your diet is fat. HSIS weight in kilos x anywhere from 2 to 3.5 depending on your weight goals (lower to lose, higher to gain)
    50 kg = 50-55 g protein a day
    50/2 = 25 g carbs a day
    50x2 = 100 g fat a day

I put my day through the calculator yesterday and that's where I was:

125 g fat, 33 g carbs, 75 g protein 1550 cals

I will try to go down to 25 g, but I still find it a very hard limit to meet!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-30-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Did you try figuring at the top end of the ranges. Also you may be underestimating your HSIS weight. The formula Dr. Kwasniewski uses fro HSIS is your height in centimeters minus 100 = your HSIS weight in kilos. For me, I think that is a little too high but work the numbers through that way and see what you get.
    I can comment on that. I grew up in metric system, and that was a standard formula for calculating normal weight, only for women it was your Height minus 110; and for a ballerina/young lady it was your height minus 115

So, my height is 169 cm (5'6 and 1/2") My normal weight with 110 formula was 60 kg which translates into something like 133 lbs, and the calculators here in Imperial normally peg my 'ideal' weight at 130-135 lbs range as well based on what size frame you put in (the formula of the 5 for every inch over 5 feet will peg me at 130-133 lbs as well if you count my half inch, LOL!).

But I was always more comfortable with 54-56 lbs range (which is your 120-125 lbs), which is consistent with the '-115' rule, and the lower end of the healthy BMI spectrum (the cut-off is somewhere between 114 -118 lbs for my height in Imperial).

My HOT STUFF! weight will be more around 50 -52 kg (110-115 lbs) providing I preserve muscular mass, obviously!

Uhm, what I am trying to say, those numbers correspond well enough, and one probably needs to adjust them in front of the mirror
    Last edited by Leida; 08-30-2012 at 06:49 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If I look at my total carbs through the week they seem to hover around 40-60, which is higher than the 26 I'd be allotted according to PB's formula (if I use 115 as my goal weight, which I'm not sure is reasonable with my large bones). But I have been drinking wine most days so some of the carbs in my tracker are actually alcohol. When I go on net carbs they are so low it's almost scary. One day was 3g. I figure I'm in a pretty good ballpark though because normally when I go low carb I get about 50% fat and now I'm trending 65% so it's a difference that is noticeable.

After my run yesterday I woke up early this morning and feeling bursting with a desire to go running again. Instead, I limped to the bathroom with muscle soreness. Oops. Oh well. Like you, PB, it feels like a weight lifted off me, not like a burden. Like Forgot, I also experienced hair loss earlier this year, but I honestly think it was because I was taking too much selenium. It started shortly after starting selenium and when I stopped it, the hair loss stopped immediately. I am not taking supplements anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

zilog is offline Senior Member
    You can start by reading the Eating Academy and Protein Power websites if you want to see the stuff I'd link to here.
    Thanks for this sbhikes. I've not come across the EA site before - it is a great resource, everything is explained properly and the writing style is very comprehensible. I've really enjoyed reading through it today. As much as I love reading everyone's opinions and anecdotes they are all useless (to me) unless backed up by science. After all, there is always someone with a conflicting opinion, so how do you know who to believe otherwise? This is not a criticism of anyone in particular; although I do think that bad science/ignorance of scientific principles run rampant on this forum (and the internet/real life in general).

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    So interesting this ideal weight stuff. With the 5 pounds for every inch formula, I should weigh 125. I would look sickly at that weight. I am currently 150 pounds and wear a size 4/6. I am muscular with an hourglass shape. Dr. Jan puts my HSIS weight at 143, which is near my goal of 140. I know other women who are 5'5" and weigh much less than me and I am always like WTF? Was I born with iron bars in my bones or what?
    Exactly Gempdix! I always thought this ideal weight never took into consideration the composition of people. I am 5 feet and I kid you not will look extremely skinny at 125 pounds. I wear size 2/4 and size 4/6 pants when I weigh 135. I am pretty big boned and naturally have muscles but also hourglassy with HUGE boobs (32DD) and A$$. BUt at 125 I will have like rock solid flat abs and small legs and arms but will still have the boobs and butt. I am fine with that. I am not sure what was the standard for the weight assumptions but it definitely did not take into consideration diversity.

If you look in some more advanced calculators on many sites, they will put in the frame size that will scale your ideal weight up and down 5-10 lbs depending on your fingers wrapping around your wrist (normally). "Why Women Need Fat" has a far more advanced way of measuring yourself, with getting a few ratios from your bones to estimate your 'natural' weight.

In the end though, you know yourself better than any measurement and you see what you see in the mirror.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If I look at my total carbs through the week they seem to hover around 40-60, which is higher than the 26 I'd be allotted according to PB's formula
    I work off of net also. Might not be right, but I do. I can't imagine not. I had the whole avocado yesterday without thinking about the macros and was shocked after I tracked it and found that there were almost 15 carbs in ONE avocado! I almost wigged out!! But then I saw my net and that almost 12 of that is fiber.

So my day ended like this: Almost twice as much fat as I normally have. My protein is always all over the place, some days low, some days upwards of 128g, so yesterday was towards the lower end of the scale. The mackerel at supper was just so darn good that I had more than I had planned. My carbs vary so much also but usually on the low end. And I bought these beautiful cantaloupe and I just couldnt let them go to waste. So I netted 62.

So... if I HAD to get strict for some reason, I can see lots of places I could cut back on all the macros.

The real kicker for me though, since I ate more mackerel and cantaloupe that I wasnt really planning on, my calories came in a tad higher than normal. And this has happened several days lately. I have just been more hungry, waking up hungry even. The difference today? I can't even think about food. Not even a cup of coffee. I am guessing all the fat from yesterday?

And my scale moved down again today. I had gone up come Monday morning, but this week I have got it back down (-3.7) and today is a new number for me Which is good. We had vacation, etc thrown in there this month and I was beginning to think that August was going to be a total wash for me. The first month in 8 months of no forward momentum but thank goodness it looks like I will come in around 3 pounds lost for the month. I'll take it.
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 16 of 104 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast