Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 11

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    But it's not necessarily the case that the participants on the KLC were actually in ketosis, and that the NLC participants stayed out of ketosis, right?

ETA:
    And is 40% really 'low-carb' ?
    No, the KLC group was designed to be in ketosis for the duration of the study (~30G/CHOs daily).

The NLC group consumed ~150G/CHOs which would still be within Primal Blueprint recommendations. Although, the fact that the higher CHO group lost more weight and had better subjective/objective markers must be even more frustrating to staunch Keto/VLC advocates.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    No, the KLC group was designed to be in ketosis for the duration of the study (~30G/CHOs daily).

The NLC group consumed ~150G/CHOs which would still be within Primal Blueprint recommendations. Although, the fact that the higher CHO group lost more weight and had better subjective/objective markers must be even more frustrating to staunch Keto/VLC advocates.
    Well yeah I'd agree -- but maybe 30g of carbs wasn't sufficiently low to put them all in ketosis. I mean n=1, right? ; p
    As I understand it, the general advice for getting into ketosis is <20.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Did this study last a few months, or closer to a year?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It lasted only 6 weeks. And I don't see anywhere where it says in the abstract what calories they were required to eat.

Also, we've been discussing way more than just how much weight we lose. We've been talking about the energy we feel, the mental acuity we have, the physical stamina for aerobic exercise (and if we haven't said anything like that, let me tell you I just went jogging for the first time in months and felt incredible, absolute unlimited energy, and at noon in the hot sun before I had my breakfast). Or how about the feelings of well-being many of us have, the steady-state mood, the tendency to smile more and feel kinder toward others, less grouchy. Or what about not having any seizures? Or the freedom from cravings and the flexibility to miss a meal unexpectedly and not freak out or white-knuckle through it until we can get to some food. These things are important, too.

This is not just about weight loss or who can lose the most weight the fastest. This is about feeling great and if needed, losing weight without suffering.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Leida, are your taste buds typical of Russians? I find that my boyfriend has the exact same taste preferences, and was wondering if it was a cultural thing.
    I have no idea Maybe we are of a similar age and similar area and ate similar foods when growing up. I guess we do not have the same squeamishness when it comes to using the whole animal & foraging the forest for whatever it yields (like I found the fear with which my co-workers treated a gorgeous red cap bolet mushroom I picked in a pristine forest when we were on the field trip hilarious), so the eyeball in the salmon head doesn't stand in the way of enjoying it, and stuff.

With pork, I think it is probably my personal thing, though I admit to loving holodetz (which is an ultimate bone broth made from pork feet, hocks etc that is allowed to set to be solid, LOL!), and most Russian probably would, while my Canadian husband took a bite and was out for life from eating it. Now when I make a dish, I keep it frozen, cutting a piece at a time because nobody could possibly eat a whole holodetz. Lol. Maybe Knifegill can!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    If it's any consolation, I used to hate fat. The texture, the idea, etc. Luckily for me, it was a learned dislike. My parents had taught me it was bad, and once I learned otherwise I was able to rehab my taste buds. At first it was just nuts and avocado and fish. Slowly I added in cooking oils, and fatty steaks and bacon, and today I could probably scarf down a jiggling mound of most any (most, not just ANY) fat. I still can't stand a bare spoonful of coconut oil.
    I hope things change for me and I can eat fat without gagging. If I chew and swallow really fast I can do fattier bacon now than I could 2 months ago when I started the Primal WOE. Cooking oils and fats I have no issue with, neither distributed fat in say, steak (liquid or small streaks), but big chunks...ew. Not happenin'. I'm open to this changing, but so far I still don't like it. An upside is that I brush my teeth a lot more now.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well yeah I'd agree -- but maybe 30g of carbs wasn't sufficiently low to put them all in ketosis. I mean n=1, right? ; p
    As I understand it, the general advice for getting into ketosis is <20.
    Oh, my lord, that's cruel. I mean, 30 means you count celery sticks and spinach leaves, 20 g with low protein too is really living off the coconut oil.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It lasted only 6 weeks. And I don't see anywhere where it says in the abstract what calories they were required to eat.

Also, we've been discussing way more than just how much weight we lose. We've been talking about the energy we feel, the mental acuity we have, the physical stamina for aerobic exercise (and if we haven't said anything like that, let me tell you I just went jogging for the first time in months and felt incredible, absolute unlimited energy, and at noon in the hot sun before I had my breakfast). Or how about the feelings of well-being many of us have, the steady-state mood, the tendency to smile more and feel kinder toward others, less grouchy. Or what about not having any seizuIres? Or the freedom from cravings and the flexibility to miss a meal unexpectedly and not freak out or white-knuckle through it until we can get to some food. These things are important, too.

This is not just about weight loss or who can lose the most weight the fastest. This is about feeling great and if needed, losing weight without suffering.
    Not all of us need to be in full-on ketosis for a lot of those benefits, though. Fat-adapted/metabolically flexible, yes, but not necessarily all-out keto.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    My n=1, so far, I have lost more weight on higher calories (very top of my range) and higher carbs, lower fats, moderate protein. Like 200+ (net carbs was probably more like 150) But I was coming off of SAD, so anything was going to be an improvement. I like being fuller on less now - fewer calories, fewer carbs but my protein is higher than this ketosis thread is suggesting, so I am willing to give it a go.

But my question to that study, is how close is everyone being apples to apples? I have read men might lose more/faster than women, I have read it is easier when you start & have lots to lose (like my experience) and I have read as you get closer to goal it is harder to lose. So I just wonder what kind of a playing field everyone was on when they started.

It just seems to me that it would be hard to compare apples to apples, even in a controlled study. I know my n=1, there are just so many variables even when I try to pin point something. I try to change just one thing at a time, but try as I may, there always seems to be another factor to consider.

But maybe that isn't important in a study like this, I don't know but seems like it would make some difference. I didnt read the study, so maybe that was outlined.
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=sbhikes;940618

This is not just about weight loss or who can lose the most weight the fastest. This is about feeling great and if needed, losing weight without suffering.[/QUOTE]

This is how I feel too! Even clearer than before when I went paleo. The energy and freedom from cravings is awesome. It is difficult for me to get enough food and limit the protein though. I am re reading Nora Gedgaudas as well to get more insight.

I also can feel my body composition changing. I am definitely retaining more muscle. I am wearing clothes that only fit me at 135 before and I am at 150 and I have a lot more definition than I had. I don't look emaciated like I did when I initially lost most of my weight. I am much warmer as well.

Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast