Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1036

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 103

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Haven't been on this thread in awhile, but wanted to check in. Since starting VLC I have dropped 15-20 lbs. (not sure where I started), but I am down to 127. The only problem I am having and we'll see if my blood test confirms it is with my electrolytes. The medication I take for my migraines, Topamax, can cause metabolic acidosis, and being in ketosis can make it worse. I took a blood test this morning so we'll see if it shows that this is the case. The other thing is that I am having stomach issues - inflammation of my stomach lining - also caused by my medication and maybe it's also tied to the electrolyte imbalance. I started taking Prilosec and it has helped. I hate to be on any medications, but the Topamax has saved me from my migraines and it has been the only thing that has worked so I need it. We'll see what my labs and my doctor have to say. Anyone have any experience with this?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Haven't been on this thread in awhile, but wanted to check in. Since starting VLC I have dropped 15-20 lbs. (not sure where I started), but I am down to 127. The only problem I am having and we'll see if my blood test confirms it is with my electrolytes. The medication I take for my migraines, Topamax, can cause metabolic acidosis, and being in ketosis can make it worse. I took a blood test this morning so we'll see if it shows that this is the case. The other thing is that I am having stomach issues - inflammation of my stomach lining - also caused by my medication and maybe it's also tied to the electrolyte imbalance. I started taking Prilosec and it has helped. I hate to be on any medications, but the Topamax has saved me from my migraines and it has been the only thing that has worked so I need it. We'll see what my labs and my doctor have to say. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Migraines and epilepsy are strongly linked. People who have one are much more likely to have the other. I don't know if you've seen my thread about reducing my epilepsy meds with a keto diet but so far it is working really well. I also used to get migraines on a regular basis but I don't anymore. It may be possible for you to cut back on the migraine med if you stay in ketosis. You may not be as dependent on the pills as you think. Ask your neurologist about it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64225.html

sharoninboulder is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm a whale. Moo. I don't care, really. Sometimes I do, but 6 months of weight maintenance is pretty freaking amazing.

I can't say that going low carb caused me any performance declines but I was never a weight lifter type before, always an endurance type. For endurance I have found that low carb is a miracle secret weapon. It took my already significant prowess and made me so amazingly invincible I can't believe it.

By the way, I downloaded and read Art and Science of Low Carb Performance over the weekend. I was a little frustrated by their other book that they never actually made it very clear what "well formulated" meant. Now I know: sub 50g carb, .6-1g per lb lean body mass protein, plenty of fats from good sources (thought that was interesting about the athletes all complaining about the mayonnaise), salt a half hour before exercise. I tried the salt yesterday and it really did make a difference. I believe they did studies that showed well formulated low carb diets allowed for positive changes in body composition and performance in weight-lifting type activities, too, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to that stuff.

The stories at the end were great because they were so similar to my own experience.
    I already have Art & Science..Living. You have now convinced me to get Art & Science...Performance for my Kindle. I'm an endurance-type myself, hiking and cycling mostly. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My other alternative place for purchasing deer is an online retailer from Colorado called Grande Natural Meats. They sell elk, goat, bison, deer, moose, etc. I really like them. Their website is ElkUSA.com if anybody is looking for game meat.
    Thanks for the pointer to this. Always good to get a recommendation for this sort of thing. There are tons of small game farms scattered around Colorado and it's hard to know who has a quality product. I would love to see their caribou grazing! They are still nearly a 5 hour drive from me, however.

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html = EXCELLENT

So true. It's amazing how many people confuse

WHAT you eat with HOW MUCH you eat.

Good job Paleobird

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I think weighing any more than once a week is pointless. Day to day variations are affected by how much fluid you're holding, how much food is in your colon, how much glycogen is in your liver and muscles. It really is a pointless exercise to weigh yourself daily and try to look for answers by looking at your food intake. Once a week will show you the trends and after a month, once you see what that trend is (either up or down) you could then have a look at your food intake, exercise schedule, etc and see if changes need to be made. Trying to make reasoned decisions on food intake based on daily weighing is a complete waste of time.
    I weigh myself daily because it reinforces how variable weight can be day to day. It's quite incredible. And, my weight has no strong correlation with my activity level or what I eat, over the short-term. I can go for a 5 hour hike, eat rather lightly, and find I'm up a pound or 2 the following morning. So, for me, it's interesting data, not an indication that I need to do anything differently. There is a lot of noise in the data. You need to look at the trend, not the day to day variation.

So, NourishedEm, we're actually in total agreement. I'm just a data-geek.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That was me also. I have stayed away for the most part, as I know it works for some but wasn't working for me. I am glad I tried it though because it showed me how flawed I have been since March. I was steadily increasing fat, and weight loss was steadily decreasing. So when I threw even moar fat at it, I got to a point of gaining and then fasting for 48 hours to take it back off. It made me step back and re-evaluate everything, made me re-read again some things, and some things clicked this time. Weight loss is once again proceeding, so it had some positives for me

It's a good thing when we all discover what works best for us.
    There is a whole chapter in Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living called Personalized Nutrition. It deals with variability and genetics and carb intolerance. Until we get more sophisticated genetic tests for things like carb intolerance, we all need to do our own experiments. We are definitely not the same. Here's a relevant quote from that chapter:

Moreover, this is the first human study to demonstrate that a clinical biomarker (insulin resistance) can be used to segregate weight loss responses to a specific diet. While this segregation of individuals towards a diet that will best suit them for weight loss is helpful, it does not inform those individuals if and how much to restrict carbohydrate to optimize chances for long-term weight maintenance.

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (p. 142). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thread but I would be reading it for a week just wondering if you think it is normal or ok, to find that if you get tired and spacey, which I do seemingly before I have to cook dinner or if I maybe have the wrong balance of nutrients, that I have a spoon full of coconut oil?. It just seems to regulate everything, where a bit of fruit or protein does not.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I did this, almost zero carbs for three weeks or so. Steak cooked in tallow, eggs, chicken, liver, bone broth, coconut milk, some frozen and cooked spinach, some butter (recycled from my wife's cooking so it doesn't go to waste) and some kerrygold swiss cheese from grocery outlet. Was feeling pretty awesome, but a tad weak and run down by week 3. Thought it might be my thyroid. So I added back some sweet potatoes and apples, went a little heavier on the spinach and mushrooms - and now I've had the runs on and off for a week, and my dandruff/scaly forehead just came back! I've got to rework this. Maybe back to VLC with a little more seaweed and liver to cover my thyroid.

I'm thinking of the usual suspects:
    - Inflammation from the dairy (even though it's pretty good stuff)
    - Slowed thyroid
    - Too abrupt a change in macronutrent ratios
    - Too much overtime at work

Not sure what overlaps that could contribute to both the runs and scaly, dry skin. Any ideas?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I've been VLC for months and just got my blood work back and it was excellent... thyroid and blood sugar were great. Electrolytes were fine, despite being VLC and on a medication that can screw them up.

My D and B12 are low, though (my fault)!

When I add carbs back in I get depressed and moody so it's best for me to keep it VLC.