Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1036

Thread: EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it. page 102

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I tried the "eat moar fat" protocol, and it didn't work for me.

I didn't need or want to lose any weight, but I liked PaleoBird's description of feeling like she was slicing through the air when she was doing sprints in ketosis.

I tried to be as scientific as possible. For one week before I tried it, I logged all my food and on a regular basis I was about 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. For me, this is around 80-90 grams of carbs a day, with a daily caloric intake averaging 1500/day.

Then I changed my macros to around 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs. This was less than 20 grams of carbs a day. I found I had to consciously eat extra fat to stay around these numbers and keep around 1500 calories/day while still keeping my protein percentage correct. I did not use ketosis strips, but I am positive I stayed less than 20g carbs/day.

After one week I noticed that my jeans were a little snug, and I double-checked my numbers. Still the same number of calories per day as before moar fat. Hmm. I weigh and measure everything very exactly; I tend to be "anal" (which pays off in my job!) I noticed a slight downward slide in energy levels, but nothing that affected my workouts, and my activity levels stayed the same. I measured myself (sorry, I don't own a scale), and found I was +0.75" waist, +0.5" hips. I did this several days in a row to make sure it wasn't variation in water retention. (No monthly cycle to screw up the numbers.) I measured myself at the same time every day.

For the second week I cut back about 100-150 calories a day, still trying to keep my average percentages at 70/20/10. At the end of this second week, measurements were up +1.0" waist, +0.75" hips from before moar fat. Even more hmmmmm. Energy levels were still a bit down, but activity levels were the same as before moar fat.

For the third week I cut back another 100-150 calories a day, down to no more than 1200/day. Energy levels still a bit down from before moar fat, but not any more than when I first started. Activity still the same. I did get hungry more often, but continued with the n=1. End of the week, measurements up +1.5" waist, +1.0" hips from before moar fat.

I quit there and went back to my usual 50/30/20. Energy levels reverted to before moar fat levels. Activity stayed the same. I've been at my 50/30/20 for the past 10 days or so, keeping calories about 100 below my usual 1500. I have lost 0.5" waist, about 0.35" hips so far.

I did some research, and found that for some people with thyroid issues, going very low carb can suppress thyroid function even more. I've had most of my thyroid removed and am on synthetic thyroid hormone to make up for reduced thyroid function. So this is something to keep in mind for those who want to try the moar fat approach... it doesn't work for everyone.

I hope I haven't screwed my thyroid up too much! I go back in to get my levels checked in a couple months, we'll see how things look then. Hopefully these gained inches will get lost...

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    I've been starting to wonder the same thing - as soon as I started eating more than 65% fat or so my weight loss stalled...and your post made me think. I don't have a thyroid at all, and life isn't fun if my levels get too far out of whack. So much can mess with the effectiveness of that single daily replacement pill I've been taking for 25 years. I think I will go back to a 52/30/18 split that seemed to be working fine. Slow, but fine.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I tried the "eat moar fat" protocol, and it didn't work for me.

I didn't need or want to lose any weight, but I liked PaleoBird's description of feeling like she was slicing through the air when she was doing sprints in ketosis.

I tried to be as scientific as possible. For one week before I tried it, I logged all my food and on a regular basis I was about 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. For me, this is around 80-90 grams of carbs a day, with a daily caloric intake averaging 1500/day.

Then I changed my macros to around 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs. This was less than 20 grams of carbs a day. I found I had to consciously eat extra fat to stay around these numbers and keep around 1500 calories/day while still keeping my protein percentage correct. I did not use ketosis strips, but I am positive I stayed less than 20g carbs/day.

After one week I noticed that my jeans were a little snug, and I double-checked my numbers. Still the same number of calories per day as before moar fat. Hmm. I weigh and measure everything very exactly; I tend to be "anal" (which pays off in my job!) I noticed a slight downward slide in energy levels, but nothing that affected my workouts, and my activity levels stayed the same. I measured myself (sorry, I don't own a scale), and found I was +0.75" waist, +0.5" hips. I did this several days in a row to make sure it wasn't variation in water retention. (No monthly cycle to screw up the numbers.) I measured myself at the same time every day.

For the second week I cut back about 100-150 calories a day, still trying to keep my average percentages at 70/20/10. At the end of this second week, measurements were up +1.0" waist, +0.75" hips from before moar fat. Even more hmmmmm. Energy levels were still a bit down, but activity levels were the same as before moar fat.

For the third week I cut back another 100-150 calories a day, down to no more than 1200/day. Energy levels still a bit down from before moar fat, but not any more than when I first started. Activity still the same. I did get hungry more often, but continued with the n=1. End of the week, measurements up +1.5" waist, +1.0" hips from before moar fat.

I quit there and went back to my usual 50/30/20. Energy levels reverted to before moar fat levels. Activity stayed the same. I've been at my 50/30/20 for the past 10 days or so, keeping calories about 100 below my usual 1500. I have lost 0.5" waist, about 0.35" hips so far.

I did some research, and found that for some people with thyroid issues, going very low carb can suppress thyroid function even more. I've had most of my thyroid removed and am on synthetic thyroid hormone to make up for reduced thyroid function. So this is something to keep in mind for those who want to try the moar fat approach... it doesn't work for everyone.

I hope I haven't screwed my thyroid up too much! I go back in to get my levels checked in a couple months, we'll see how things look then. Hopefully these gained inches will get lost...
    +1

I tried this and it wasn't for me either. I made sure that my macros were on target so I would be in ketosis and not the "misery zone" that I heard on a low carb podcast. I was a little leary of trying it because of thyroid issues but I kept up 2-3 brazil nuts a day + kelp or dulse for iodine and even added pink sea salt. I took it a little easier at the gym for about the 1st week as to not put to much strain on my body.

I have type 1 diabetes and my insulin units per day were the same if not more! I was fighting a lot of high blood sugars in the beginning but by the 2nd week I had raised my basals to compensate. But it doesn't make much sense to me why I would need more insulin eating significantly less carbs per day (in the 25-45 range, 45 on gym days).

I had a thyroid panel done while doing this and my numbers were the lowest they have ever been. I felt horrible and my hair was coming out more, I was fatigued, and even depressed for a bit.

I didn't comment on this thread to bash it because I think it's a great thing for some. It just goes to show that everybody has a different body with different nutritional needs.

I reintroduced more carbs about 4 days ago and am feeling much better now.

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    It is great that this approach does seem to work quite well for some. It just goes to show that it isn't a 1-size fits all, and that is a good thing.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    +1

I didn't comment on this thread to bash it because I think it's a great thing for some. It just goes to show that everybody has a different body with different nutritional needs.
    That was me also. I have stayed away for the most part, as I know it works for some but wasn't working for me. I am glad I tried it though because it showed me how flawed I have been since March. I was steadily increasing fat, and weight loss was steadily decreasing. So when I threw even moar fat at it, I got to a point of gaining and then fasting for 48 hours to take it back off. It made me step back and re-evaluate everything, made me re-read again some things, and some things clicked this time. Weight loss is once again proceeding, so it had some positives for me

It's a good thing when we all discover what works best for us.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've been starting to wonder the same thing - as soon as I started eating more than 65% fat or so my weight loss stalled...and your post made me think. I don't have a thyroid at all, and life isn't fun if my levels get too far out of whack. So much can mess with the effectiveness of that single daily replacement pill I've been taking for 25 years. I think I will go back to a 52/30/18 split that seemed to be working fine. Slow, but fine.
    I don't either. Eating very low carb or being in ketosis alot can affect your ability to convert T4 (that's what synthroid and levothyroxine are) to T3 (the active form of thyroid). I think that's what's happening to me. My dose is already high for my weight, but I still occasionally have hypo symptoms and my TSH was through the roof last time. I plan to talk to my doc next visit about changing to a T3 med or combining the two, because I think my conversion has never been that great anyway, and eating low carb just made it worse.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    having a supremely tuned liver is required for this to work.

your liver needs to be capable of turning triglycerides into glucose... most people have not done the prework required to make the liver do that.

any keto adaptation takes a minimum of 3 weeks to accomplish and i have seen it take as much as 4 months.

then when it kicks in .... watch out world.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

tomi is online now Senior Member
    It seems to be working pretty good for me as long a keep sugar, gains and alcohol out of the equation. I normally stay between 55-65% on the fat side - and try to keep the carbs under 20%. The rest is protein.

I'm slowly losing as long as I stay on course. I'm also hypothyroid and on Armour. Doc has me at a level that is slightly above the prescribed "normal" range. She says as long as I'm feeling good and not having any issues (such as racing heart) then there's no reason to be concerned. She also knows I'm on VLC and isn't concerned. She's a traditional/holistic cross over doc - and she eats Paleo and does CrossFit.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Heth is offline Member
    Although I only tried for a couple of weeks, keeping my fat at about 70-80% of calories, protein the lower end of moderate and carbs very low, I didn't feel very good. I gained back about 7lbs. I just found I was hungrier and it was easier to eat more calories seeing that fat is denser than carbs and protein. Although I had a week of a family emergency where I had to stay vegetarian while with family, I have been mostly eating more protein (read meat), way more veggies, more avocado, and even a little white rice and potatoes. I have just about cut out the rich fats - butter and oils - and cut out dairy. I also had to cut way back on olives because I realised that the low quality salt used in their processing seems to cause me to retain water. Maybe if I tried very high fat again it would work, without oil and butter, but I find it difficult to eat less protein/meat and still feel satisfied. Also cutting down on veggies, including root veggies such as carrots, swedes, beets etc was not good for satisfaction levels. Oh and I lost all the weight I gained back plus an extra couple of pounds.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I tend to do very well on VLC with carb refeeds once every week or two as I have said.

But I find that I need to keep protein in the high-moderate category (25-30% of calories). If I don't, I get hunger pains often and eat more. So a typical breakdown for me on a non-refeed day is 60-65% fats, 25-30% protein (sometimes more if eating a leaner meat), 5-10% carbs.