Thread: Primal Journal (Hop Goddess) page

HopGoddess is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Hop Goddess)

Well - here it goes I suppose.

I started my "30 Days of Primal Living Kick Off Spectacular" last Monday, August 20, 2012. The weekend prior was a beer festival in Saratoga, WY, and I didn't want to either cheat that much or deprive myself, so I chose to start on the Monday after - figuring the detoxifying effects would be a bonus. What's funny to me, it apparently my brain was ready for this change before I thought the rest of me was. That whole weekend, except for the beer fest, I was definitely on that primal thread: eating primally, moving a lot, even helping take down camp which I almost never do.

So now I start my official 30 Days of Living Primally. And I felt it only proper to set out my measurements, goals, hopes, dreams, etc before I get moving. Partially to keep me accountable, partially because I'm a glutton for punishment...

My initial measurements (much to my dismay) are:

Upper arm - 16"
    Bust - 44.5"
    Under Bust - 37.5"
    Belly - 47.5"
    Hips - 51"
    Thigh - 30.5"
    Upper Calf - 18.5"

Weight - 230.4 (at 5'5")

Blood glucose - 108
    Cholesterol - 208
    Triglyceride - 72
    HDL - 56
    Cholesterol (non-HDL) - 152
    LDL - 138

Not good. Not good at all...

My motivators (because losing weight is a result, not a motivation):

- Enjoy the outdoors where I live more by being able to participate in the huge variety of physical activities the Colorado mountains foster without feeling like I am going to die
    - Be able to buy the cute clothes I want, instead of the okay clothes I can fit into
    - Keep up with my siblings and nieces - all of whom are far fitter than I am
    - Like the way that I look in the mirror, because even on my good days now, I'm not delighted
    - My boyfriend always tells me how sexy I am. So I want to feel the way he sees me
    - Shake off - or at least reduce the effects of - the health problems that have plagued me (asthma, joint pain, depression, anxiety etc). Since I had a pulmonary embolism when I was 28, and my gallbladder removed when I was 23, I'm tired of the health problems

Honestly, how I look is a big part of it. Although never an athlete, I was able to keep the weight off until high school, when it just kept creeping on. I lost a fair amount after college when I got a job at a brewery that saw me hauling kegs, walking 4+ miles a day, working out after work, and cooking for myself (which mostly meant small, reasonable meals). As soon as I got a desk job... well... it's the same ol' same ol'

I just turned 30, and I'm tired of this. I'm setting two sets of goals: initial, small goals and overarching goals.

Initial goals:

- Hit 199 pounds before Thanksgiving, when I see my entire family for the first time since my birthday in July
    - Fit in to the cute wide legged trousers I bought last year when I told myself I wouldn't get any bigger (yep - that was successful)
    - Be able to walk the mile around our block without using my inhaler
    - Be active for at least 3 hours a week
    - Lift heavy things for at least 20 minutes a week
    - Walk twice as much at work (I work in a massive building)

Overarching goals:

- Have sexy, sculpted arms and calves
    - Be able to go backpacking to the Ice Lakes in Southwestern Colorado (a dream of mine)
    - Be able to fit comfortably in our deck chairs
    - Wear a single-digit pants size (which I haven't done since Junior High!)
    - Be able to bike this particular six mile singletrack near my house in less than three hours
    - Be active more than I watch TV
    - Go swimming without being horrified
    - Have more energy overall (i.e. not feeling like if I don't sleep for 12 hours, I'm going to die)
    - Be able to eat when I want, not when my body screams at me that I have to eat or black out
    - Improve all of my "numbers"
    - Goal measurements:

Upper arm - 12"
    Bust - 44.5"
    Under Bust - 32"
    Belly - 28"
    Hips - 40"
    Thigh - 26"
    Upper Calf - 16"

Weight - 125-145 (at 5'5")

Some of the ways I plan on getting there:

- I work in a massive building, so walking to the bathroom farthest from my office, and delivering information in person, rather than by phone or email will make a dent
    - Walk every day at my breaks and/or lunch
    - Take an evening walk (while the weather supports it) with the boyfriend
    - Use the gym at work
    - Planning out meals in advance so that we are never "stuck" being too tired to eat well
    - Getting my food from local markets as much as possible, instead of whatever is cheapest
    - Drinking beer sparingly

Some of my tangible rewards to keep me going:

- Every 15 pounds I lose after I hit the 100s, I am getting a massage
    - When I get to 199, I get to buy some new clothes
    - At 150, we are going to take a trip to Strawberry Hot Springs

Things I am excited about:

- Cooking really awesome, innovative meals with seriously awesome ingredients
    - Trying new foods
    - Waking up refreshed, not exhausted
    - Seeing the look on my doctor's face
    - Feeling beautiful
    - Living life to the fullest

Things I am anxious about:

- Exercising (I really, really, really hate it and I am super lazy)
    - Organ meat
    - Not being able to imbibe in the item I am so passionate about: craft beer
    - Failing

So, I guess that's it. I will try to check in whenever possible. I told myself that I wasn't going to weigh myself until the end - but I already have. Just to keep things consistant, I'm going to talk about that in a separate post. But I feel this sets things up nicely, and gives me something to come back to.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    Happy beginnings to you, Hop Goddess!
    I have been Primal since May 2011.
    I still drink beer because I am a homebrewer, and since I live in Portland, OR there are so many beer opportunities....
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to you, and well done for making a fantastic life decision.

I will throw in a couple of things if you done mind. Its absolutely great you have a boyfriend that 1. Thinks you are really sexy as you are. and 2. Is supporting you as you try and improve your health etc .... As a supportive loving boyfriend there will be times he sugegst going for a walk etc, and this may coincide with times that you dont feel like going for one. This will happen, I guess the thing tor ealise is that he suggesting it to be supportive, to spend time with you, and its not a hint that your lazy or need to lose more weight (This wasnt meant as a go at you, Iv just seen it before).

Another thing to consider is you've been really brave and decided to make a change. That in itself is not easy to do, so well done. I know you want to see changes in the mirror and on the scale and especially so you can go on that uch deserved shopping trip (and holiday), but there will be times, maybe in the beginning, maybe after a few weeks where you feel amazing, energised, motivated only to stand on the scale and see no change. This can dampen even the highest of spirits. Please dont let it. I worked with a lady who was registered disabled because of her weight, she went to work, and she came home, that was it. One day she joined the gym after a spa treatment, I promoced her I would work with her as often as possible to help her out. When I left she wasnt stick thin, but she had undergone a huge change. Her husband cam up to me and said that now she comes home from work, does some jobs on their small holding, cleans the house/gets things ready for dinner, then goes to the gym and still comes home with bags of energy and a smile on her face. He told me I had changed her life.

Now obviously that felt amazing for me to hear, but only because I knew that yes she had started physical changes but much more than that, her mental attitude had changed, and a lot of physical changes that you couldnt see had also taken place.

When you feel inspired and happy, dont let anything take it away from you. One negative day, whether it be not seeing a big enough drop on the scale, or caving in and having a piece of chocolate. Those are the days that put an end to so many peoples dreams of a healthier them. This is a life journey, not a brief foray into health and wellbeing.

Your boyfriend believes in you, if you remember that and believe in yourself you will be unstoppable.

Rant over haha

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopGoddess View Post
    So now I start my official 30 Days of Living Primally. And I felt it only proper to set out my measurements, goals, hopes, dreams, etc before I get moving. Partially to keep me accountable, partially because I'm a glutton for punishment...

Go, HopGoddess, Go. I wish you every success with living primally. You have really thought about this and one day - probably sooner than you expect - you will be glad you made a list of all your measurements and goals. I wish I had done the same, I did not expect the changes that I enountered to happen so quickly and now it's hard to remember how I looked and felt beforehand. I do know that I feel great now and love love love the food. AS for exercise, yes I've even grown to enjoy it, but not to worry if you don't - it is a much smaller part of the lifestyle than the way of eating. Once again, all the best.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Way to lay it down, girl! I can just tell from reading your post that you've reached your "tipping point". Your goals are reasonable and well laid out and sounds as though you've got a nice 'fella' in your corner to offer you the support and encouragement needed. Take one day at a time, one meal at a time, and things will fall into place. Be prepared for your 'weak moments' and device a plan on how to manage those moments/situations. I'm excited for you and will look forward to your progress!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

So - things were clipping along rather nicely for the first couple of weeks of my 30 days: I was eating primally, I was resisting the temptations that would draw me back into an unhealthy pattern, and, most importantly, I was feeling better. I became more aware of my moods between meals - which have ranged drastically in the past - and noticed that I was having less crashing, and that I could control my blood sugar crashes with my meals. It was nice to have that little bit of control where I have had little in the past.

Not to say that the first couple of weeks were awesome and perfect and everything I expected and more. I'm still sluggish in the mornings and, while I have more energy, it's been a very slow ramp-up. I still want to sit in front of the TV, but now I find myself less willing to give in to an entire evening of being one with my sofa, needing to get up every few minutes since just sitting starts to get... something... uncomfortable? Untenable? Irritating? I suppose this is a good thing.

I am also mastering the art of the salad. During my adult years I've gained an affinity for a well-constructed salad, but I have such an awful track record with fresh greens in my own fridge, that I rarely made them myself. I am trying to change that trend. I have discovered a salad that I adore since it combines a large number of my favorite foods, and is great for any meal. A little bacon, two over-easy eggs, some red wine vinegar, homemade mustard, mixed greens, and whatever other veggie goodies I have in my fridge. I make a warm bacon-fat viniagrette, which is lovely, and it just tops the salad perfectly. I also put an obscene amount of fresh-ground black pepper over everything. I love the warm yolks running all over the crisp greens and how the red wine vinegar cuts the richness just right. For lunch at work (where making an egg isn't really possible), I am trying different variations to see what satisfies me the best... we'll see if I can make the long-term switch to salads for lunch.

We are having a potluck at work next week, which normally would be a little scary since people really love bringing way too many desserts, but I am organizing it, so I chose a burrito/taco bar as the theme. We have at least four primal-friendly items on the list, so I know that I'll be good to go. Especially when I add in some awesome carnitas to the mix (thanks Link Love post from Friday!). And my coworker's killer green chili will be perfect as Colorado-style green chili does not include the masa that New Mexicans use. So I have a really good meal to look forward to that will not hurt my primal drive, and that's a good thing.

The bad thing was that I folded like a flan this weekend. Too many temptations and I was not strong enough to resist. Friday night I saw 2am for the first time in years - and that was my best night. Dinner was primal (pastured chicken wings) and I had a wonderful time playing with a friend whom I don't often get one-on-one time with. Saturday morning I did fine with one of my big salads for lunch (after I woke up at 11:15am). Then I spent the day cleaning the house, which gave me some decent exercise between moving boxes and just generally being on my feet all day. My fall began at my friend's house later that evening. She was making burritos, and it would have been SO easy for me to stay primal: she had sauteed up ground turkey with fresh zucchini, yellow squash, and onions from her garden seasoned with chipotles. She also had some pastured milk to go with them. Now, I could have just grabbed the meat mixture and topped with a little cheese and avocado... but NO. My friend asked if I wanted a quesadilla. Quesadillas are one of my absolute favorite foods... I dream about them, I love them so much. And I just couldn't resist. So there I went, eating a massive quesadilla stuffed with cheese and meat, smeared with sour cream and avocados. It was not good.

But, I did learn something. For about nine months, I have had this terrible pain in my hip flexors that made it difficult to stand after sitting. Once I was up, the pain would become a dull ache, but the act of getting up was torture. I didn't notice until that meal, when I tried to stand up about 30 minutes later and it hurt like blazes, that I hadn't felt that pain in two weeks. It was such a dominant pain, but as soon as it was gone, I forgot about it. And it came back as soon as I chowed down on those two flour tortillas. As it was the first wheat-based food I had in two weeks, I'm going to say that there was causation there. As bad as I felt, I have to admit that it was nice to have a result to an experiment I didn't even know I was conducting.

So, Sunday morning I had another big salad (and made one for the boy, who had just returned from a camping trip) so that we wouldn't be so tempted by junk when we went out to meet so friends to watch football. We went bowling then to a bar to watch the Broncos game. Our friend ordered a few appetizers, all of which were good and didn't make me feel too guilty. For dinner I ordered a grass-fed burger on a bed of greens. But the boy ordered mac-n-cheese with bacon. Dammit - it happened again. And this time I KNEW better. I don't particularly like pasta (unless it's fresh and homemade), but I just love the sauce. It was awful. I felt completely out of control and frustrated that I had let myself down.

This morning, I rolled out of bed like a slug and am just now starting to wake up - three hours later. I feel bloated and dehydrated and just... BLAH. At least I had a good breakfast and have good chow for lunch. No clue for dinner - but I know it will be grain- and sugar-free come hell or high water.

One thing I've decided is that I really need to plan out at least four of our dinners a week ahead of time. I love to cook, and planning out meals adds to that anticipation and makes them ever so much more craveable. The temperature is supposed to plunge mid-week (I walked out of the bar Friday night and it smelled of winter - yey!), so I'm thinking of thawing out some blade steaks and making a good beef stew in the crockpot for Wednesday night. Maybe planning things out will make sticking to it easier.

Well - time for me to hit the gym during my break and lift some heavy things. Hopefully I can get back on track and have some good news to post next week!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alright. I guess it's that time of year for the 21-day challenge, so let's restart this thing. I did start eating completely primally in August and felt so much better. I've now discovered that there are some nasty side effects when I eat even a little bread, so that was interesting to learn. I also learned that if I eat primally and count calories, I end up eating too little and turn into a terror. So no more of that crap.

Since this is where I started last time, here's where I start this time:

My initial measurements (much to my dismay) are:

Neck - 14"
    Upper arm - 16.5"
    Bust - 44"
    Under Bust - 36.5"
    Belly - 49"
    Hips - 50"
    Thigh - 30"
    Upper Calf - 17.5"

Weight - 220.1 (at 5'5")

Blood glucose - 85 (I would like to point out the HUGE difference from last year to this. Although I haven't been entirely faithful, I have cut a lot of excess sugars out in the last year, and I believe that shows)
    Cholesterol - 223
    Triglyceride - 104
    HDL - 52
    Cholesterol (non-HDL) - 171
    LDL - 150
    TSH (Thyroid) - 1.799'

Ugh. Long way to go.

My motivators:

- Enjoy the outdoors where I live more by being able to participate in the huge variety of physical activities the Colorado mountains foster without feeling like I am going to die
    - Be able to buy the cute clothes I want, instead of the okay clothes I can fit into
    - Keep up with my siblings and nieces - all of whom are far fitter than I am
    - Like the way that I look in the mirror, because even on my good days now, I'm not delighted
    - Shake off - or at least reduce the effects of - the health problems that have plagued me (asthma, joint pain, depression, anxiety etc). Since I had a pulmonary embolism when I was 28, and my gallbladder removed when I was 23, I'm tired of the health problems

Initial goals:

- Hit 199 pounds by 2014. I would like to start the new year in a new number scheme
    - Be able to walk the mile around our block without using my inhaler
    - Be active for at least 3 hours a week
    - Lift heavy things for at least 20 minutes a week
    - Walk twice as much at work (I work in a massive building)

Overarching goals:

- I am competing in a sprint triathlon in August of 2014. So to be at the point where I will finish without taking a month to recover from it
    - Be able to buy a really cute dress for my friend's wedding in October 2014
    - Have sexy, sculpted arms and calves
    - Be able to go backpacking to the Ice Lakes in Southwestern Colorado (a dream of mine)
    - Be able to fit comfortably in our deck chairs
    - Wear a single-digit pants size (which I haven't done since Junior High!)
    - Be able to bike this particular six mile singletrack near my house in less than three hours
    - Be active more than I watch TV
    - Go swimming without being horrified
    - Have more energy overall (i.e. not feeling like if I don't sleep for 12 hours, I'm going to die)
    - Be able to eat when I want, not when my body screams at me that I have to eat or black out
    - Improve all of my "numbers"
    - Goal measurements:

Upper arm - 13"
    Bust - 42"
    Under Bust - 32"
    Belly - 28"
    Hips - 40"
    Thigh - 26"
    Upper Calf - 16"

Weight - 125-145 (at 5'5")

Some of the ways I plan on getting there:

- I work in a massive building, so walking to the bathroom farthest from my office, and delivering information in person, rather than by phone or email will make a dent
    - Walk every day at my breaks and/or lunch
    - Take an evening walk (while the weather supports it) with the boyfriend
    - Use the gym at work. I did Crossfit for a while and really didn't like it, but I did enjoy learning how to lift properly
    - Planning out meals in advance so that we are never "stuck" being too tired to eat well
    - Getting my food from local markets as much as possible, instead of whatever is cheapest
    - Drinking beer sparingly

Some of my tangible rewards to keep me going:

- Every 15 pounds I lose after I hit the 100s, I am getting a massage
    - When I get to 199, I get to buy some new clothes
    - At 150, we are going to take a trip to Strawberry Hot Springs

Things I am excited about:

- Cooking really awesome, innovative meals with seriously awesome ingredients
    - Trying new foods
    - Waking up refreshed, not exhausted
    - Seeing the look on my coworkers' faces. Especially my seasonals who won't see me again until April!
    - Feeling beautiful
    - Living life to the fullest

Things I am anxious about:

- Exercising (I really, really, really hate it and I am super lazy)
    - Not being able to imbibe in the item I am so passionate about: craft beer
    - Failing