Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Goin' there page 5

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I like Ghee, but can't always get it here. Must try again.

I agree with the DH, I could def do better on the eating front if he'd be on the page, but there is no chance of convincing him and I like having us be happy together, so I won't push it. I'm not doing so hugely bad, and once I get this sorted, it's the kids turn. Babysteps.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post

I agree with the DH, I could def do better on the eating front if he'd be on the page, but there is no chance of convincing him and I like having us be happy together, so I won't push it. I'm not doing so hugely bad, and once I get this sorted, it's the kids turn. Babysteps.
    He does not have to eat Primal to be supportive or to at least not be critical. He needs to knock off the commentary. My husband won't eat the fat I eat or the types of protein I eat because he is an MD with a significant family history of coronary disease (takes a statin) and he believes it will kill him. BUT... he does not comment on everything I eat or try to make me feel like I am doing something wrong. It involves having a conversation with your husband.

If you can afford it, order the ghee from Pure Indian Foods. It stores well on the shelf, so you can order several jars. I put the digestive ghee in tea or warm water (small jar; has cardamom/cinnamon/ginger).

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

I have decided to put breakfast first of all meals and spent a bit more money than usual on good breakfast foods. As in pastured pork belly and patties.

Today I made Kalli's quiche, and here is the recipe copied right out of her lovely thread (so I can find it easily, it is already buried in her thread)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
    Grease a 9" cake pan with whatever delicious fat you choose. (Butter? Olive Oil?)
    Line the cake pan with prosciutto.
    Whisk 6 eggs in a bowl, add 1/2 c to 1 c of water or coconut milk, and whisk.
    Cut 2 sausages into coins. Fry.
    Chop one leek into coins. Add to the sausages.
    Chop 1 c of mushrooms or use already-chopped ones. Fry.
    Put this delicious fried mixture in the oven. Pour the eggs over it.
    Bake for about 40-45 mins.

Haven't tried it yet, but anything with proscuitti is good in my book. In fact, I think I will buy a pack and keep it as a special treat. That way I have something when the rest of the family is eating appe pie and the likes. Yes!

Also my EYES ARE NOT ITCHY today! Major breakthrough! No itchiness, no styes, no nada. Nose is clearer than usual, and I didn't have my usual wheezing/slight asthma last night. SO NICE. I do think this is the coffee. I don't even want any. This morning I made tea for myself and then coffee for the DH and even the smell of the powder was kind of repulsive. That to me, who would only fall asleep at night so I could wake up and have coffee. Also no need for afternoon coffee anymore. Water does it. THis is good. Must keep it up, which is always the trick, isn't it. But then maybe it takes care of itself. Like the grains, now I get a headache when I eat them so that experiement was a bit of a one-way street really.

I will report how I liked the quiche. I'm not holding my breath for surprises, though.

That quiche is freakin' fantastic and my eyes do itch a little bit after I stupidly rubbed them to proof they don't. Getting better though.

Oh my God, quiche will be the answer to all! Will make quiches galore and be able to convert family entirely!

I was just reading around in the Forum and thinking about how I have gone so high fat lately that if I leave my plate to cool after I'm done eating, little mounds of fat will form on it. The family goes through a stick of butter per day. It makes me happy to eat high fat. Maybe only because it tastes good. But then I thought, hey, I have lost ALL the stupid urges to snack snack snack all the time that were driving me crazy. I still do sometimes, but sort of because I want to eat that delicious plum, not have to in some mad unsatisfiable urge. That's also why I don't have calories to count from stuff that I really want but deny myself. I could cut here and there, but I don't really want to right now, I have a good thing going, and the bad food I don't crave anymore. Snickers? Still good, but not necessary.

Also now I am full after a meal. I always used to have this feeling that I was just not full, I actually thought my brain just couldn't interpret my stomach signals right and that I was weirdly wired. and instead of impatiently snacking my way to the next meal I now will suddenly get hungry and look at the watch and see that it is way later than I realized.

I'm always staring at and thinking of my stalling waistline, but this is really working on other fronts for me. And I think DH takes a smile over a slightly improved hip-waistline ration anytime, anyway.

So, deep breath, I'll keep doing this! Even thinking that makes me happy. I'll keep doing this, and maybe sometime my waistline will follow. Maybe when I have less busy-ness in my life I can concentrate on losing weight, but now it is right for me to eat so I have energy and joie de vivre and can do all the stuff I have to do and make my family happy. Not even a year ago I sat at the doctor's office, asking what was wrong with me because I was so tired I spent my life on the sofa, snapping at the kids and wondering whether I'd have to go on antidepressants. Just thinking about that makes me almost cry with gratitude for how much paleo has improved my life.

And Wednesday is Farmer's Market. *sigh with happiness*

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    I have never bought ghee. Make your own!

Put a stick of butter in a jug, then the jug in the oven on the lowest setting. Come back an hour later when it's completely melted (the proteins all sink to the bottom) and pour off the pure butterfat (ghee) into another vessel.

It's that easy.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Uh, very nice Magicmerl. Thanks. I guess I have a project tomorrow. I'm also brewing Sauerkraut (takes forever, yawn) and make kefir, so I can feel all busy and important in the kitchen.

Here is what I did to make Sauerkraut:
    buy a cabbage (no organic to be had, but local)
    cut it up, pour salt over it, and let kids massage it until watery
    Stuff into glass jar
    pour salt water over it till just covering kraut - brine icky salty, but not gaggy salty
    waaaaaaait....

But it's starting to go from salty to sauer! I'll put it next to the slow cooker tonight. I'm not sure about it, though. It's a tad brown, and I think I remember that's not good. Not really brown, just a tiny bit. Hm.

Wednesday is FM, and the meat lady said she'd bring me chicken feet. Icky icky icky! But I will heroically make soup from them. 2$ per pair...already skinned and *faint* clipped.... also looking forward to me liver, but all the other cuts I can afford (beef stew cubes and roast) are frankly starting to get on my nerves. Must hold out hope for pork belly. Oh, and patties! Will buy two packs of pork patties. Mmmmmmmh...

Also gained a pound. But must not freak out, it is all okay.

So quick note on food today for own record:

bf was slice of quiche, tea, and bowl of kefir with sunflower seeds at 8,
    lunch was grassfed/grainfinished steak with beans and butter and kale/banana/mango smoothie at 2,
    dinner was small bowl of beef stew with sourcream (and, sin, huge marshmellow krisp treat- there is nothing I can do about marshmellow, it gets me every time) at 8 pm.

No snacking or hunger or weakness at all in between, which makes my life easier as I was on the go the entire time. Also doctor's assistant told me I looked good for my age, ha. I'm a bit fat, though, had a look in the changing cabin today and cannot deny that middle is more wobbly than usual and that frilly underwear is best left on the shelf. But have lost lots of bloat with the coffee. I'm starting ot wat some. The eyedoc today gave me allergy drops for my eyes, but would be better to know wht allergy we talkin', here.

Oh look, I got all stars next to my thread! That's good, right? YEY!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had trouble sleeping last night (worry wart), so this morning slept in a bit and had to stuff some Quiche in my mouth while dressing the kids and packing their lunches. By 1:30 I was STARVING as quiche had by no means been enough. So headed home with whiney kids, had to clean kitchen and put lunch boxes stuff away and make lunch and smoothies and was all a bit much but we survived with only little dings.

The smoothie was 1 banana, kale, and blueberries. The baby didn't like. Yesterday it was 1 banana, 1 mango and kale and the baby loved. Must keep track. So had a smoothie and beefstew with grassfed beef and potatoes and celery from the FM, and 1 can of tomato from the supermarket. Was good, as is v cold here. The stupid fireplace man stood us up and now we have to wait another month for a new appointment- we want to put a wood stove into our defunct fireplace. Yey! We will be warm and cozy (unless it is too expensive).

For dinner I am defrosting some unidentified red mix from the freezer. Hopefully it's not more beef stew. I'm crossing my fingers for enchilada chicken.

I just got some soup bones going. They are marrow bones I think even though I requested knuckle bones, and the broth doesn't seem to get gelatinous which seems the point after all. But tomorrow I get da chicken feet! Chicken soup is much better anyway. Also the DH brought me mason jars for gallons and gallons of sauerkraut which I will tackle now. Also have to eat some kefir as is collecting in vast vat in the fridge. I'm so proud of my sturdy little kefir cultures....we have developed an emotional bond, the many of us.

Last but not least I did some unrelated Inet shopping and am happily waiting for flannel sheets from Landsend (very reduced and still a one-time luxury for the winter) and my salt lamp with dimmer switch. I bought one last year on Amazon but didn't have dimmer as promised, so got mad and returned after long and exhausting battle. Now I paid 20$ more for a 3$ switch with other copany, so hopefully will be the right thing. Yeeees...and then I will take a salt bath, snuggle into my luxurious flannel sheets (and heated blanket) and read Jane Austen by the dim light of my salt lamp. Oh! Life is excellent and thinking about this would make me want to bless all friends and relations if I were even remotely religious. But I'm not, so will maybe generously dole out precious friend milk kefirs instead and hope people will not toss them in the toilet the first chance they get. Yes.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast