Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really this "easy"? page

coach81 is offline Senior Member

Is it really this "easy"?

Primal Fuel
    Ok.. previous to becoming primal.. here was a typical (exercise) week for me:

6 days of intense work:
    3 days Circuit style high impact, high intensity lifting for 30 mins straight, little rest between sets.
    3 days of intense cardio- Jump rope, HIIT, Long distance (3+miles), treadmill, eliptical, gym bike, and regular bicycle
    1 day of "rest"

Now on the blueprint:

Mostly 2, sometimes 3 (if I feel like it) intense lifting or bodyweight workouts for no more than 25 - 30 mins
    1 session of hard, all-out sprints for 12 - 15 seconds each (20 - 30 mins total)
    At least 40 mins of "casual cardio" everyday- walking, easy jogging, bicycle riding, etc.
    At least two times a week 30 - 40 mins of "playing" with my boys- basketball, frisbee, football, etc..

Compared to what I WAS doing.. I feel that this is a walk in the park! Is it really this "easy".. will I still get the results (fat loss) that I want?

Veterans of PB.. if you have been following something similar to this.. how have your results been?

BTW- this of course includes me staying as close to 100% Primal with my food.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    People don't get it. I train less than three minutes a week. On a heavy week I train less than 10 minutes a week.

Last November I could do a 340 lb leg press. This week I'll attempt 630 lbs. I did 620 last week so 630 is nothing but the next step up.
    Since Nov I've lost 20 lbs +-.
    I've lost 40 lbs. since starting primal in Aug. 2009.

The leg press is one of three exercises I do a week.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Particularly if you're highly compliant on the diet end, it works.

I like to bodybuild and tend to overreach (precursor to overtraining), but when I stick to a couple heavy workouts per week, one sprint workout, and a lot of low- to moderate-level activity (20+ hours per week), I find that I stay quite lean and cut without dealing with any of that persistent, minor fatigue. I've been primal for about 6 months now.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    I used to watch my near-vegan diet impeccably as per CW, lifted (with machines, of course, not those dangerous free weights) 3 times a week and did cardio on a bike for an hour 3 times a week. I didn't gain an ounce of muscle.

Now that I'm eating properly, I've gained 12 pounds of lean mass in the last couple months working out once a week.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    So what sort of exercises are you doing when you lift? The reason I ask is because this is day 10 of primal for me but I am still lifting 6 days a week with 1 body part per day. Where can I get some good overall body workouts using weights?

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    It is amazing how easy it really is. I used to do the Chronic Cardio without fail. At least 7 miles a day 6 days a week. I ate like a pig because I was so hungry all the time. I was not gaining any muscle and I was always hurt. I finally got frustrated after seeing a guy post up at runnersworld saying that he ran 500 miles in a month and did not lose a pound. I figured there had to be a better way and went looking for the truth. My wife is much happier that I have gone from 12+ hours per week of exercise down to 3 at the most with much of that being done in the family room. People think it is a gimmick when I try to tell them how much easier it is.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I adopted the "less is more" philosophy last year, way before I started PB. I was doing three cardio workouts and three weight training workouts per week, and I was getting no where. Now, I do two 45-50 minute weight training sessions per week. Right now, I use Stronglifts 5x5, but I have also used the programs on Project Swole or other websites. In my opinion, the key is heavy compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, pullups, dips, etc.

As for cardio, I don't even do it anymore. I am walking more since starting PB a month ago, but that's it. I have yet to do the sprinting, but that's next.

P.S.: Yes, it can be that easy as far as the physical fitness part. 80% of your appearance is related to diet. I never understood that until the past year. You can workout 7 days a week and get nowhere fast if your diet is not in check.
    Last edited by john_e_turner_ii; 04-01-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: P.S:

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahz View Post
    So what sort of exercises are you doing when you lift? The reason I ask is because this is day 10 of primal for me but I am still lifting 6 days a week with 1 body part per day. Where can I get some good overall body workouts using weights?
    Squat
    Push - benchpress, standing overhead press, weighted dips
    Pull - Deadlifts, Barbell rows, weighted pullups

Pick one squat, push, pull and do 5 sets of 5 (where you almost fail at rep 5 probably could get 6) Do a that 2-3 times a week with a non lifiting day in between.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    It really depends what you want and how much you like exercise. I despise rest days even though I take them because of knowledge. Working out to me is much more than just a workout.

And are you one of those people who are satisfied with just being healthy and fit, or do you want more?

I personally do crossfit 4 times a week, 1 strength day a week, and 1 sprint day a week. 3 days on, 1 day off, and the day off I do core work. A little walking everyday too. But my desires are different from yours, so it really depends on you.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not any sort of athlete, & have quite a bit of weight to lose, but if I'm seeing results with what little I'm doing, it really is this simple. Enjoy it!
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast