Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Childhood silverware page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Childhood silverware

Primal Fuel
    I'm eating off a spoon I've had since I was six years old. Moved 15 or 16 times, left home, came back, moved out again, parents constantly going through kitchenware like chaff. But I was able to rescue this spoon and a few other relics. Does anybody else have objects like this?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    As a matter of fact I do.

My grandparents gave each of us a china place setting, which I still have the cup and saucer from - the rest didn't make it.
    They also gave us a place setting of silver ware, and one of stainless cutlery. I still have those and frequently use the stainless.

What's also interesting to me is that I also have some of the cutlery we used when I was growing up, and when I am eating stews, or things that require a spoon that is the one I go for. I think it is the way it feels in my mouth - size and shape and the amount of sauce or soup it holds? Maybe you have the same kind of connection between your mouth and the memories you generated with it along the way.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Yes. But not as extreme. I have a few bowls and couple cast-iron pans salvaged from my grandparents' old stuff that I've been using since the start of my college years. So like 7 years or so.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I have a little 3-part Jesus-loves-me plate that I've had since I was probably 3 or do.
    Also, my silver rattle and cup..

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My husband has a hairbrush shaped like a baseball bat. He remembers when he got it for Christmas - it's 42 yrs old and he's used it every day, all those years. It looks amazing, considering its age.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My boy eats his pudding out a bowl with rabbits on the outside that I used when I was a baby.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have a piggy bank that I've had my entire life. It still has some of the original pennies in it, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have my father's cast iron skillet from when I was a kid and a pizza pan that's older than I am. The pizza pan has a point in the middle from so many years of being sliced on, as well as cutting grooves that make it effectively nonstick. My father made me a cutting board when I moved out (tiny 6*12 thing), still use that as a cheeseboard.
    I have a stuffed teddy bear that was my mom's when she was a baby. It's in my hope chest, waiting for my eventual spawn. I also have my own rag rabbit and stuffed bear made by my grandmother in the hope chest, she gave them to me when I was born. In that hope chest are also several books handed down from my grandmother that I loved as a child.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Oooooh! One example - mine are wearing a t-shirt my mom saved from my young kid years... it is blue, and has a pic of Shawn Cassidy and Parker Stevenson on the front (the Hardy Boys!!) and my name in poofy faux-felt letters on the back. We got that one day at a shopping mall. I LOVED that shirt for lots of reasons, partly my love of Shawn Cassidy at that point, but also because my parents were poor as church mice and actually bought me something at the mall and not from a yard sale or Goodwill or such. (The mall was our free a/c during heat waves in TX because we had none at home...)

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have an afghan my grandmother knitted for me, for my 13th birthday. I'm 55 now. Although I've washed it many times over the years, when I tuck it up under my chin, I can still smell the lavender hand lotion my grandmother always used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast