Thread: 5/3/1 Noob page

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

5/3/1 Noob

Ok, so for the next 4 months I have planned on switching up my routine and giving 531 a try. I have all my workouts planned out with the various percentages and rep schema. I have been doing RPT style training since the beginning of the year and figured I would keep it interesting by trying a new technique.

Current lifts at (age 38, weight 182 approx 10% BF):
    Press - 151
    Bench - 244
    Squat -327
    DL - 405

So the goal with 4 months of 5/3/1 would be :
    Press - 171
    Bench - 264
    Squat -367
    DL - 445

Have others seen this type of improvement or is this a little over zealous? I know the press will be the weak link and adding 20 pounds probably wont happen.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 08-28-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Looks solid, you've used the 5KG/2.5KG increments Jim recommends for deadlift/squat/the presses

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I can't speak to the end result but I just started 5/3/1 and have finished week 2 of the first cycle. I was amazed at the improvement in strength during the second week. I'm not a powerlifter but I've been working out on and off for a long time (just turned 40) and had pretty much plateaued on everything. I haven't seen gains like this over such a short time since I first started working out in my early 20s. It's pretty amazing.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I forgot to mention that I'm doing the Boring but Big assistance work. I've lifted low reps before and I've lifted higher reps before. I think the thing that jump started me was combining the two by doing the 5/3/1 main lifts followed up by the same lift but high reps/low weight.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    The 40lb increase in DL might be doable but really I don't think 5/3/1 is geared towards "I want to gain X amount in my lifts within Y months". Not saying it can't be used that way of course, great to get yourself psyched.

But the real goal goal in 5/3/1 is to get the most reps out of the last set in the 3rd week to to figure out your new 1RM for that lift so that you either a) go up in weights or b) pump out more reps. You might go up a rep. You might go up 5lbs and your real 1RM goes up. More than likely, you'll be adding reps before you need to recalculate but the point is consistent progress whatever form it takes instead of no progress.

Again, not knocking your goals. But if you want to reach specific numbers in a certain time frame, you might want to research periodization, especially by a guy named Pavel. 5/3/1, as you probably already know, is sort of a mini periodization technique designed to keep your workouts short and keep you motivated by producing consistent progress.

Even then, for me 5/3/1 has been the best program for me so far. I pretty much concentrate on the 4 big lifts and freestyle the rest of my gym time to support them.

Have you seen this calculator? It's basically a free webpage that will allow you to track, save and print 5/3/1 workouts

Lastly, it will take a couple of complete cycles to notice substantial improvements to your lifts, for some people it's 3-4 months (assuming 4 day a week, 1 week per cycle) others it's 5-6 months.

Cheers
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 08-29-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    The 40lb increase in DL might be doable but really I don't think 5/3/1 is geared towards "I want to gain X amount in my lifts within Y months". Not saying it can't be used that way of course, great to get yourself psyched.

But the real goal goal in 5/3/1 is to get the most reps out of the last set in the 3rd week to to figure out your new 1RM for that lift so that you either a) go up in weights or b) pump out more reps. You might go up a rep. You might go up 5lbs and your real 1RM goes up. More than likely, you'll be adding reps before you need to recalculate but the point is consistent progress whatever form it takes instead of no progress.

Again, not knocking your goals. But if you want to reach specific numbers in a certain time frame, you might want to research periodization, especially by a guy named Pavel. 5/3/1, as you probably already know, is sort of a mini periodization technique designed to keep your workouts short and keep you motivated by producing consistent progress.

Even then, for me 5/3/1 has been the best program for me so far. I pretty much concentrate on the 4 big lifts and freestyle the rest of my gym time to support them.

Have you seen this calculator? It's basically a free webpage that will allow you to track, save and print 5/3/1 workouts

Lastly, it will take a couple of complete cycles to notice substantial improvements to your lifts, for some people it's 3-4 months (assuming 4 day a week, 1 week per cycle) others it's 5-6 months.

Cheers
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I basically took what Wendler stated about adding 5/10 lbs after each cycle and applied it. I figured 4 cycles would be a good round number and give me enough time in the program to assess pros/cons. They are soft "theoretical" goals. I more interested in the programming itself. A new adventure begins!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

After cycle 1 I added 7.5KG to DL and squat, and 5kg to bench, and again for cycle 3. I may back down to 2.5KG/5KG for cycle 4.

If you start with the sensible 90% of max weights that Wendler recommends you'll easily meet the linear 5/10lbs progressions.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    After cycle 1 I added 7.5KG to DL and squat, and 5kg to bench, and again for cycle 3. I may back down to 2.5KG/5KG for cycle 4.

If you start with the sensible 90% of max weights that Wendler recommends you'll easily meet the linear 5/10lbs progressions.
    I'm looking forward to it! Started yesterday...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I'm looking forward to it! Started yesterday...

It's a great program. Try the various BBB variations and challenges once you're settled in!