Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am primal but not seeing any results...please help page 3

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    LEWIS - Thanks for the guidance, you've commented on a few of my older posts and your replies are always helpful and straightforward. It's much appreciated and hopefully putting me on the right track.

My calories overall were much lower today, around 1,400. It's fig season and those are my favorite fruit, so I had a little feast of them, then lowered my fat overall the rest of the day. So today my figures were more like 50% fat, 25% carb, 23% protein.
    Gonna go to the gym tomorrow, I hope to have reason to start a new thread about my great results

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Getfitt View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advice to us all Lewis ......I am avoiding cream cheese, full cream and yogurt didn't help any in reducing any weight do you think I should jus add them back also can I add almond butter and almond milk ( store bought) are they primal foods ?
    You're welcome. I'd guess you'd want to experiment with the dairy products by dropping them for long enough to know whether you're getting a reaction if and when you re-introduce.

A lot of people here use almond butter. Seems a good option. Almond milk from the store probably includes a fair bit of added sugar. It's also said that the sellers often have vegans in mind and so also add supplements that they might theoretically need, which is going to mean stuff like calcium and vitamin D. Unfortunately, in practice this is going to mean cheap forms -- not easily absorbable calcium and D2 instead of D3. It's not really ideal. Better to make it:

Homemade Almond Milk! | Everyday Paleo

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    I tell clients I work with who feel their eating well and exercising to very often eat more. Up your fat intake. Dont be afraid of olive oil. It contains about 100-150 calories per tea spoon full. When people switch to Primal ways of life they are replacing carbs as a main energy source, with fat. Fat is amuch more efficient longer lasting energy source and contains 9 calories per gram of fat, as opposed to 4 calories per gram of carbs. Your protein looks good.

Like Lewis said, dont think about the scale. Firstly how you feel mentally is what will kepp you going or stop you in your tracks (FYI having a day where you want to quit is ok....but remember why you are here and keep on keeping on).

I strongly endorse Marks LHT programme (from the primal blueprint book)....v low impact, great progressions and I promice you it will make a difference. Many women worry that working out like that will get them big and bulky. it wont, in order to be big and bulky you have to eat to support such growth, this is something you are not doing so you dont have to worry about weight baring exercise. Please remember that some slight increased muscle growth (toninig up) is a good thing. Lean Body Mass (LBM) requires more calories so having more LBM means that even when you are sitting around doing nothing you are burning more calories than someone who has no muscle.

Stay hydrated. This will keep the body functioning as it should, and remember if the body is 70% water, how can we expect our bodies to work at 100% capacity when we dehydrate oursleves.

If you want really tasty recipe ideas check out blogs such as 'seasidekitchen.com' and 'cavegirlinthekitchen.com'

Sorry for rushed response.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 08-30-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    LEWIS - Thanks for the guidance, you've commented on a few of my older posts and your replies are always helpful and straightforward. It's much appreciated and hopefully putting me on the right track.
    Thanks. I don't know how reliable I am in general but I do try if someone's asking. If I miss a post and you want a response from me just PM me and I will post one.

My calories overall were much lower today, around 1,400. It's fig season and those are my favorite fruit, so I had a little feast of them, then lowered my fat overall the rest of the day. So today my figures were more like 50% fat, 25% carb, 23% protein.
    Gonna go to the gym tomorrow, I hope to have reason to start a new thread about my great results
    Well I think that's great. When the fruit's in season why not enjoy it? I'd be careful not to drop the calories too much to compensate, though. I notice the Scottish guy who's posted in this thread says he often gets better results with clients by getting them to eat more. I think Julia Ross says that the U.S. recommendations are 2500 kcal per day for men and 2000 kcal per day for women. And yet I think she says the WHO's figure for women is 2300. To compound that it seems men in the U.S. actually eat a little over the recommended figures at an average of 2600 kcal but the women's is under -- 1850 or something? I think well-chosen paleo/primal foods at around 2000 - 2300 kcal would deliver a lot of nutrition, but as the overall intake drops it's not so easy to get enough of those important micronutrients.

Again, I want to say I think go steady for awhile -- be straight down the broad highway of primal for maybe three months at least before changing anything.

Getfitt is offline Junior Member
    Richardmac thanks for your input....I was thinking about that too that I need to increase my fat intake ....will try and see if it works..I am trying to be more active and started walking yesterday ...hopefully will see some changes soon...

NextSteps is offline Junior Member

Um...oil calories ~ 120 per Tablespoon (9 cal per gram)

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Dont be afraid of olive oil. It contains about 100-150 calories per tea spoon full.
    See: Vegetable Oil Calorie Counter

This calorie count is accurate for one tablespoon of oil, not one teaspoon. God forbid!

I'm in the same space after about 2 and a half months....not dropping weight at all but feeling better & clothes fit better. There was a slight trend down and then up again as I was sort-of force feeding extra sauteed veggies & protein powder but since I've been listening to my body that's stopped. I'm 5'7" and around 140 lb. I have a scale that tells me about what I need for basic metabolism to maintain muscle & weight and based on that, with a target of loosing at least 5lb of fat, I calculated this as a macro ballpark.

I'm not really much for counting calories so this is just something I'm planning on keeping in the back of my mind as I go through the day.

Calorie target: 1500 kcal
    Excersize target 200 kcal (combo of weight bearing & other movement, average)
    Protein Target 500 kcal 33% 125 grams (fermented dairy plus two double decks of animal protein)
    Carb Target 300 kcal 20% 75 grams
    Fat Target 700 kcal 47% 175 grams

When I made this calculation I was surprised at how much fat there is.

The one catch is that I usually drink wine at dinner with my husband, so I have to account for those calories. Something to search the forum about...I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before.

So I started walking again....and now I know why I am not losing any wt again. I developed pain in both feet after going primal in APRIL /MAY about 1 and half month of starting the diet ...it can be coincidental but it felt like I was walking on my bones and it hurt bad. I went to a doc he said to avoid going bare feet ( Not so -- primal ) but I have hardwood floors throughout my house and I am mostly bare feet when I AM HOME thats most of the time . I started wearing shoes with good support at home and pain decreased so I forgot about it and at that time I stopped walking as well which helped.but now when I started walking again it came back and hurts really bad again ...plantar fasciatis ( spelling?) is back ...anyone had this problem after going primal if yes please suggest something....thats probably why I am not losing any wt as I am unable to walk much ....urghhhh

You should be able to walk without pain.

I guess you could argue that the floors might be harder than surfaces would be in nature, but I'm not convinced.

I don't see that the walking barefoot on the floors is indubitably the cause. So what is? Maybe no-one is asking what the cause is. It's as if the condition dropped out of the sky: it's just there. So they look for a way to treat the symptoms, and that's the orthotic shoes. If it weren't that I suppose it would be anti-inflammatories.

I think make sure your diet is anti-inflammatory. Ice will help to control inflammation, too.

I guess it's possible you have some congenital abnormality. I think it unlikely. What you may have is some kind of acquired dysfunctionality in your gait, not just in the feet but probably as part of a wider pattern of movement. Some muscles are shorter and tighter than they should be, others perhaps weaker. I would get an appointment with an Alexander Teacher in your area and see what they can tell you about how you are currently "using yourself".

Find a Teacher | American Society for the Alexander Technique (AmSAT)

Maybe none of that appeals or makes sense. But if it does, or if it doesn't, let us know what you're finding out and what helps and what doesn't.

Yea floors ...that's what doc said but I have been walking on them for past three yrs without Any problems why all of a sudden he didn't think I may have increased uric acid since I was eating meat more in general but I suggested it to him....didn't get any blood tests But he told me to wear good shoes some ibuprofen ,ice and Rest which actually worked and stayed off my feet most of the time hence the no wt loss I guess ....so now i added back the walking and it's back again.... I also bought orthaheel shoes which helped some initially too.... Going back to the regimen that worked before and will see if I get any relief ...I will look into the Alexander teacher as well ....thanks for your input again...

PrimalCon New York
    And I see no teachers in my area .... West Virginia ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast