Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am primal but not seeing any results...please help page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Getfitt View Post
    Thanks for a prompt reply.
    I dont exercise .... just regular house work ( cleaning ,cooking ,doing laundry) and run around with a 3 yr old and sedentary type part time job.
    You're not doing too much, then. A small amount of high-intensity exercise should help build muscle. That might be worth looking into.

I eat about 3-4 oz of chicken or fish or steak and I feel full after that .... so I never feel deprived or stuffed AT ANY MEAL.
    ONLY carbs I am getting is occasional sweet potato / fruit and vegetables. You think for females more carbs are better for weight loss? Or I should just stick with what I am doing . I do take Mg at bedtime and Vitamin D supplement daily as well.
    Really want to see the scale going to the lower side and as at times I feel am retaining water more than I used to....may be upping my protein intake will help? But i am not hungry at all.....I eat when I feel hungry and stop when full...
    I'd think you're getting about the amount of protein you need. Your food sounds spot-on. If you want to tweak your diet, you could include some organ meats and some bone-broth -- that's from the general nutritional standpoint, not weight-loss. I think supplementing with Mg and D3 is also good.

I wouldn't worry about the scale-weight.

You mention Candida-overgrowth in a later post. I don't know what effects that might have. It seems that gut bacteria likely play a role in weight-loss and gain, so disrupted gut flora ... I'd avoid anything that might feed that and take a good probiotic.

Getfitt is offline Junior Member
    I guess you are right Lexie .... I am not punishing my body anymore, and that was last yr when I did two rounds of HCG without much success.

Thanks Lewis I will try that and see what happens ....Primal eating is so easy I rarely get any cravings for breads and pasta or sweets ...now...... when I used to be a carb addict I would eat tons of breads chips and all the junk and still feel hungry to the point where I would binge and eat wrong foods but now if I AM HUNGRY I EAT REAL FOOD ...AND feel good about it....I guess I should stop worrying about wt loss and keep doing what I am doing and add exercise .........

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    I agree with SCruz, most people don't see significant improvement from where you are without strength training. Your diet looks ok but you could be deficient in several things in the absence of bone broth/organ meats or more veggies. I wouldn't up carbs unless you decide to strength train. IMO, and this is with significant anecdotal experiences with clients, most people end up putting their body in a deficient state by eating too little or sticking only to meat without going the bone broth or liver route. Also, if you are someone prone to putting on weight, strength training isn't an option, you are going to have to do it a couple of times a week. You could do sprints and plyos for the upper and lower body, but I wouldn't expect pilates or yoga to do too much as they wouldn't activate the muscle fibers you are looking to activate.

Ok thanks will let you guys know

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Look into PBF. Minimal equipment (somewhere to do pull-ups) and if you pick the right level, it will kick your butt. I switch between PBF, including sprints once a week, and weight training. I think that you should ignore the scale and just focus on getting strong and being as healthy as possible. If you start strength training you will likely lose inches, even if you don't lose pounds.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Getfitt View Post
    You think for females more carbs are better for weight loss?
    For *me*, when I threw "low carb" out the window, I started losing again. I am in my late 20s, 7 months post-partum and nursing, so I know what is working for me is not the same for someone else. Also, I lose weight easier when I'm not exercising as exercise makes me hungrier. So I stopped giving any thought to carbs, eating fruits, sweet potatoes, dates even, when I wanted and made sure to keep my overall calories lower and I am losing easily now. I only say this because this is what's working for me, I don't think it's the norm and not even what most people in this forum would agree with, but you have to just experiment until you get there, ya know?
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    I'm also having issues, I'm about 10 days into primal and want to go from 165lbs to 140. I am 16, 5'5", and have a history of bulimia/hormonal treatments so I realize that my metabolism is not the best
    But right now, the scale isn't budging much, but I feel gross and almost as if I'm GAINING weight.
    I'm drinking tons of water, supp. with Mg and amino acids and B6, and have not eaten any sugar or grains in the past week.

I'm averaging about 2000 calories, sometimes 2100, sometimes 1900.
    The breakdown is like this (on average)

24% calories from protein (120g)
    14% calories from carbs (70g)
    61% calories from fat (135g)

I'm exercising mildly, long walks and stretching, with a weekly HIIT. I plan to add strength training in sometime this week.
    Do I just need more time? I don't feel like I'm healing/flushing at all, but I do feel better than my old carb-binging insulin roller coaster. Advice?

Does this look way off? I also have insulin resistance so I'm very wary of the "add carbs to lose weight" approach. Help, anyone?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    I'm also having issues, I'm about 10 days into primal and want to go from 165lbs to 140.
    OK ... ten days is nothing. Seriously, give it a month minimum.

I am 16, 5'5", and have a history of bulimia/hormonal treatments so I realize that my metabolism is not the best
    But right now, the scale isn't budging much, but I feel gross and almost as if I'm GAINING weight.
    The scale doesn't matter. The scale can't distinguish between muscle and fat. Best story I've ever heard about this bar none:

Podcast 14: AHS Takeaways and Keith Norris Interview - Caveman Doctor : Caveman Doctor

I think you need to sit tight and eat the right foods and not worry about the weight. I would think it will move in its own good time, but in the meantime ... You say you're 165 lbs. That's not a lot. There are people walking around who weigh hundreds of pounds. Put the weight on one side. Every day you eat Primal foods you feed your brain, calm your body, look after your gut, and improve your resistance to disease. That's worth a lot.

... have not eaten any sugar or grains in the past week.
    Well done.

I'm exercising mildly, long walks and stretching, with a weekly HIIT. I plan to add strength training in sometime this week.
    Do I just need more time? I don't feel like I'm healing/flushing at all, but I do feel better than my old carb-binging insulin roller coaster. Advice?
    If you're feeling better, why not just give it some time?

Does this look way off?
    No, it doesn't.

I also have insulin resistance so I'm very wary of the "add carbs to lose weight" approach. Help, anyone?
    That doesn't seem to be a helpful strategy for most people. But in any case, you're only ten days in. Look for a new strategy if your dress-size -- not your weight -- hasn't moved in six months perhaps. Wait to see if you look, feel, and perform better when you extend what you're currently doing over a longer period.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the helpful advice to us all Lewis ......I am avoiding cream cheese, full cream and yogurt didn't help any in reducing any weight do you think I should jus add them back also can I add almond butter and almond milk ( store bought) are they primal foods ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast