Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has cured their autoimmune disease with hookworms/parasites? page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Before I knew anything about hookworms, I also was totally convinced that any type of parasite in any amount was a terrible thing, I was really fearful of the idea.

From the article you linked:

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    In developed countries, hookworm infection is rarely fatal, but anemia can be significant in a heavily infected individual.

However, the “silent and insidious” symptoms referred to by Stoll are related to chronic, heavy-intensity hookworm infection.
    From my research, yes, when a person is overwhelmed by hundreds or thousands of hookworms (due to reinfection multiple times on a daily basis), they will likely suffer from anemia. But in small doses (like 10 hookworms) there is little to no risk of anemia. Anemia is something that takes a long time to develop, and it is something that is easily monitored, so if for some reason even a small number of hookworms/pinworms becomes problematic, it's very easy to kill them off.

The CDC actually advises doctors NOT to treat mild hookworm/pinworm infection.

Here's another good article on the topic from the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/he...pagewanted=all

An excerpt:

...the National Health Services ethics committee let him conduct a study in 2006 with 30 participants, 15 of whom received 10 hookworms each. Tests showed that after six weeks, the T-cells of the 15 worm recipients began to produce lower levels of chemicals associated with inflammatory response, indicating that their immune systems were more suppressed than those of the 15 placebo recipients. Despite playing host to small numbers of parasites, worm recipients reported little discomfort.

Trial participants raved about their allergy symptoms disappearing. Word about the study soon appeared online among chronic allergy sufferers, and a Yahoo group on "helminthic therapy" sprung up.

"Many of the people who were given a placebo have requested worms, and many of the people with worms have elected to keep them," Pritchard said.

Here's another article I found interesting from the Wall Street Journal, which also includes info on a man who used parasites to treat his son's autism:

In a Squeaky-Clean World, a Worm Might Help Fight Disease - WSJ.com
    Last edited by BestBetter; 08-28-2012 at 01:37 PM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Before I knew anything about hookworms,...
    I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about it, but I'm not sure I would purposefully ingest them. I also totally understand that we are far too "clean" in our "technological modern society" and I also remember taking worm medicine when I was a kid - it tasted like cherries. If I'm exposed to something as a matter of course, that's one thing (since stressing over everything is also bad for your health), but I'm not sure I would use worms as a treatment... I would have to be convinced, and right now I am not.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Worm infection was next on my list of things to try right after primal/low lectin eating. Fortunately, primal eating was successful for me.

However, this treatment is fascinating to me. I am an immunologist and have read several very good papers on how immune function is modified by parasitic infection. There are clinical trials underway in the US using "egg" milkshakes to treat MS - but the eggs don't hatch. I have heard that preliminary data is encouraging. A great deal of work is being done to identify which components of the worm are responsible for the immune changes.

I was desperately sick and if I ever get back to being that bad I would try the worms.
    Being an immunologist, do you by chance know of any studies involving helminths that are looking for participants?

My husband right now is the one who needs it more than me....he's tried everything under the sun (except this) to cure his psoriatic arthritis, which at times is quite debilitating and affects his daily life. He can't do many of the things he used to love, and can easily get cut off socially as a result.

He's tried experimenting with every possible diet related thing (paleo, nightshades, lectins, dairy, gluten, soy, grains, alcohol, more meat, no meat, more Omega 3/minimal omega 6, etc...) plus supplements and things like LDN and fumaric acid....these things all have ZERO effect, it's really unbearably frustrating, especially when it seems like so many people are cured with this way of eating and he literally has no improvement whatsoever.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Being an immunologist, do you by chance know of any studies involving helminths that are looking for participants?

My husband right now is the one who needs it more than me....he's tried everything under the sun (except this) to cure his psoriatic arthritis, which at times is quite debilitating and affects his daily life. He can't do many of the things he used to love, and can easily get cut off socially as a result.

He's tried experimenting with every possible diet related thing (paleo, nightshades, lectins, dairy, gluten, soy, grains, alcohol, more meat, no meat, more Omega 3/minimal omega 6, etc...) plus supplements and things like LDN and fumaric acid....these things all have ZERO effect, it's really unbearably frustrating, especially when it seems like so many people are cured with this way of eating and he literally has no improvement whatsoever.
    I am sorry to hear that your husband is doing so poorly. My arthritis was so terribly severe that is really dominated my entire life, so I can sympathize.

Does he take any of the newish biologic medicines? I consider primal eating a miracle for me, but I do use it in conjunction with a biologic. Once the immune response is going haywire, it may require more than just removing inflammatory foods to get it under control. I hope someday to be able to go off the meds, but for now my drug is also a lifesaver.

The only trials I know of right now relating to helminth infection are for multiple sclerosis. There are plenty of data showing that helminth infection can help with arthritis in mouse models, but recent data has shown that in humans studies there is not an inverse correlation between helminth infection and the development of arthritis. So it is unclear to me if clinical studies will be pursued - my guess would be yes, at some point they will be tried.

Primal wise - I would ask about your husbands vitamin D3 status and if he did the low lectin version (no nuts, dairy, nightshades, grains, coffee, beans, or eggs).

To keep my arthritis at bay I need the combo of a good biologic, low lectin eating, and a high vitamin D3 status. Good luck and don't give up!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    So the larva enter through the skin? And the larvae are in the large intestine of an infected person? Suddenly I find the thought of anal sex even less appealing than I had found it prior to receiving this information.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Yes, but you generally get infected by stepping on feces from an infected person, not by person to person contact.

ETA: or by eating worms or eggs
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jadedgamerx is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Any update since August?
    Quite literally, the wittiest signature line you can think of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12