Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body by Science - Hitting a Wall page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I gained about 10 lbs of muscle over 6 months......
    Me too! At least darn close (12lbs in 9 months). BBS 1x/week. Low carb (not really counting, just know were I am) with nutritious meat. Glad I found HIT training.

Actually it was about 12 days since my last workout today. Came back very strong. I find about once every 10-12 sessions that taking an extra week off between workouts helps me break through any plateaus. I still just do the Big Five, but TBH I'm getting to the point were I may have to split it. Keep up the good work OP!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I find about once every 10-12 sessions that taking an extra week off between workouts helps me break through any plateaus. I still just do the Big Five, but TBH I'm getting to the point were I may have to split it.
    Funny that, I had a two week holiday when we went away with family and I felt good when starting back. I understand that sessions can be dropped to every fortnight once full development has been reached. Many people add some different exercises and split the timings so they are not doing too much each workout. That all makes sense to me with the way things are going.

How does one know the amount lean muscle being put on if one is still losing blubber?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    How does one know the amount lean muscle being put on if one is still losing blubber?
    BodPod, Tanita scale or just use a mirror and a tape measure.

I saw shrinkage at first. This is as I started to lose fat in my arms, legs, tummy etc.

Then I saw my arms and legs grow as the muscle I put on increased more than the fat lost. If you are putting fat back on you will not see the muscle definiton.

i've just noticed it in the mirror.....I've gained about 15 lbs ....I just assume 12 or so is muscle. My weights have gone up significantly. Went from 150lb to 165. I was "ripped" at 150 but wanted to slap on some more muscle. Strength to weight wise I think I've pounded it. BBS and HIT do definitely work. Muscle striation and waist size no different than 15 lbs ago so i figure its mostly muscle.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-03-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Went back to The Big Five this week. Result! Thanks people.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Me too! At least darn close (12lbs in 9 months). BBS 1x/week. Low carb (not really counting, just know were I am) with nutritious meat. Glad I found HIT training.

Actually it was about 12 days since my last workout today. Came back very strong. I find about once every 10-12 sessions that taking an extra week off between workouts helps me break through any plateaus. I still just do the Big Five, but TBH I'm getting to the point were I may have to split it. Keep up the good work OP!
    Yes the breaks away do help big time - along with plenty of sleep. For me it feels very satisfying to have built so much muscle as a female in my early forties.

Lack of stress and relaxation help big time. I'm beginning to experience some of that, having lived through some pretty stressful times recently.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yes the breaks away do help big time - along with plenty of sleep. For me it feels very satisfying to have built so much muscle as a female in my early forties.

Lack of stress and relaxation help big time. I'm beginning to experience some of that, having lived through some pretty stressful times recently.
    This is where people really get upset with me personally. You read about the gurus like Mike Mentzer or a local contributor like Paleo-bunny and Neckhammer and they all admit to taking a week off and they come back stronger. I took the approach that if you come back stronger with a week off... why work out every week. That thought process convinced people that I am from Mars, when I tell them that at six weeks off I am still stronger.

John Little and Dr. McGuff posted in their website that both their wives have seen better gains by working out once every 2 weeks over working out once a week.

No one wants to test it because the fear they will lose their gains or they are afraid that what they believe to be true... isn't.

I do know from personal experience we are creatures of habit. The problem with training once a month is... it is actually hard booking the time and doing it. Once a month is not a habit or routine. It interupts your routine. It is harder to work out once a month than a couple of times a week.

You have to find a balance. If you do nothing more than do resistance training to failure on the last positive rep... and do it once a month... then you are on the road to better health. Building muscle creates a stress on the body. Negative things such as cortisol etc. build up in the body. The body requires a time to rest and heal. Then we beat the crap out of ourselves again. If you don't wait for the body to heal you will still get stronger, you will have a routine, but you are doing it at the true cost to your health.
    Last edited by Vick; 09-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.

^ I do like that Vick, and it makes plenty of sense in the muscle built portion. I've considered it, but I wonder about the "metabolic effect" that the workout provides. I can very much understand how the big five on a weekly basis is good for both strength and metabolic conditioning. I can see where once or twice a month could continue to increase strength....just not sure about the metabolic portion.

I have considered splitting what I do into and A and B workout and doing only a "big 3" instead of the 5 now that I'm basically back to just about the most muscled I've been (mid thirties). Its between that and extending my rests to 9 or 10 days.

Any thoughts on the metabolic conditioning portion?

I have noticed on their web site that Doug usually still does 1x/week, but he doesn't do the big five....Its more like a big 3 and a couple of accessory movements.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.

^ Any thoughts on the metabolic conditioning portion?
    I find that John Little's max pyramid routine is one of the best for metabolic conditioning. It saves wear on the joints but provides a killer workout. Each exercise takes about 90 seconds to 2 1/2 minutes.

For who aren't familiar you take a light weight and hold it at the max moment. In other words if you are doing a leg press you keep you knees close to 90 degrees, or at you weakest point of leverage. Lift the plate about an inch and hold it for 20 seconds. Drop the plate, move the pin to add another and up again. You keep adding plates until you can no longer hold it for 20 seconds. Now take a plate off and start working your way down... 20 seconds for each plate. You can't move when you are finished.

In between workouts I llike to thow in some sprints, push ups etc. Dr. Sears with his PACE program promotes getting the heart up to its max for metabolic conditioning.
    Last edited by Vick; 09-09-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    I took the approach that if you come back stronger with a week off... why work out every week. That thought process convinced people that I am from Mars, when I tell them that at six weeks off I am still stronger.

John Little and Dr. McGuff posted in their website that both their wives have seen better gains by working out once every 2 weeks over working out once a week.

No one wants to test it because the fear they will lose their gains or they are afraid that what they believe to be true... isn't.
    In BBS they state that the body takes between one and three months to start losing muscle mass and they recommend workouts every two weeks after one reaches peak strength. At present I am happy with once a week as I am still gaining strength. Once I'm as strong as I am going to be, I will drop to every fortnight and even try every three or four weeks as being retired, I don't have a set routine to interrupt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast