Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body by Science - Hitting a Wall page 2

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    NIgel
    I'm 56. I took the opposite approach. As I started to stall I reduced it from the big 5 to the big 3. One week was chest press and row, the following week was the shoulder press and lat pulldown.

While I had some modest gains doing the leg press every week, my best gains came from doing the leg press once every four weeks. It works for me. Approximate gains of 24 lbs of muscle mass in 3 years.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    We better be careful here Vick!

All of this BBS discussion is liable to stir up some real anger around here!!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    My suggestion is to drop those two exercises. They aren't real good mass builders anyway. The BIG 5 is designed to hit all the major muscle groups to build a good foundation. Increasing the volume from there goes against the whole thing.

You could though, every so many workouts, drop say the overhead press and maybe the rows and insert those two if you are intent on doing them.

It is clear to me that you have gotten stronger and that this workout has too much volume now. Reduce it to the five and stay at 7 days. See how you do then.
    Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of dropping the extra two. That makes sense to me so back to The Big 5 it is. It'll take less time too!

I just knew I'd get the answer here.
    Last edited by Nigel; 08-30-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    my best gains came from doing the leg press once every four weeks.
    Thanks for that. I suspect Forever Young has nailed it. I was just trying to improve on something that can not logically be improved upon.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm not as devout as some here and must expect some crucifixion (I know, I'm a lucky b@st@rd) every now and again. The way I see it, I can please at least one person with everything I do. Me.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    We better be careful here Vick!

There are three good concepts out there. Mark's Primal Blueprint, Body by Science and Dr. Sears' P.A.C.E.

They position themselves differently, but they all share a common message.

Cut out the grains and starchy carbs, eat paleo etc.

Left heavy things... or apply increasing progress intensity

Move slowly, walk etc.

By reading the three books and applying what works for you as an indivdual works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    There are three good concepts out there. Mark's Primal Blueprint, Body by Science and Dr. Sears' P.A.C.E.

They position themselves differently, but they all share a common message.

Cut out the grains and starchy carbs, eat paleo etc.

Left heavy things... or apply increasing progress intensity

Move slowly, walk etc.

By reading the three books and applying what works for you as an indivdual works for me.

I couldn't agree you with you more!! I have been training in high intensity fashion for many years now. The writings of Mike Mentzer were and in many ways still are the basis of my protocol. Of course Dr. McGuff is a Mentzer disciple. He has taken the principles and refined them even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm not as devout as some here and must expect some crucifixion (I know, I'm a lucky b@st@rd) every now and again. The way I see it, I can please at least one person with everything I do. Me.
    You are the only one you need to please!! At the end of the day it matters not what others think.

You are the only one you need to please!! At the end of the day it matters not what others think.
    Now if I could just convince SWMBO of that.......

The way I see it, Mark and others have found what works best for them and understand that each individual may need to find a different path to what they want. I was happy giving up wheat etc as my daughter is coeliac and what Mark (and others) have written about grains makes perfect sense to me. Especially as once I gave up bread, pasta and cakes, I found that my food did not repeat on me any more. I used to have to eat at 12:00 and 17:00 or I'd be starving. Now I can happily go without a meal if necessary, and, I am just starting to IF.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who have offered knowledge. I do appreciate it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I gained about 10 lbs of muscle over 6 months while having a net weight loss of about 1 lb a month. Jeans that were a good fit a few years ago are now hanging off me even though I weigh around 14 lbs more now.

I gained through a workout 4 x a week during the evening of 10 mins yoga/stretching followed by 30-40 mins strength/resistance training with light-mid-range weights followed by 20 mins interval training with high-intensity sprints and 30-80 mins of low-level cardio.

I focussed starch consumption post-workout with relatively moderate amounts of fat, along with a modest to high amount of protein plus a couple of glasses of wine, while eating a much higher proportion of fat and protein at breakfast and lunch (very low carbs for breakfast), with strictly no snacking. I avoided sugar and fruit, but ate lots of vegetables and goats'/sheeps' dairy. Quality sleep, protein, lactose, cholesterol, calcium and glucose (starch) combined with optimal micronutrient intake post-workout promote serious muscle gain in my experience.

Just saying that I've found that this is what works for me, as a female in their early forties with hypermobile joints. I've returned to this pattern of activity during the past few weeks and my energy levels have rocketed back to where they were before, along with a decreased need for sleep to the tune of 2 hours fewer per day ... hence the exercise more than pays for itself in terms of free leisure time and vitality.

So I agree totally that every individual has to find their own path. It's very important to experiment and listen intuitively to your body, to find out what works best for you.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast