Thread: Fiber Nomenclature page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Fiber Nomenclature

Shop Now
    Soluble vs insoluble, dietary, etc. The more I read, the more confused I get. Does the dietary fiber in an avocado affect my blood sugar? The Nutrition Facts website counts it as calories so I assume it is getting converted to glucose. Thanks.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    this video explains fiber pretty well
    Dietary Fiber covered by Dr. Greg Ellis - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    this video explains fiber pretty well
    Dietary Fiber covered by Dr. Greg Ellis - YouTube
    Thanks, but this video does not address my question. I want to know if dietary fiber itself is converted to glucose and contributes to a rise in BG levels. Insoluble fiber goes right through and does not contribute to calories so I assume it doesn't get converted to glucose. However, since dietary fiber does contribute to calories, I assume it is getting converted, but do not know for sure and have not been able to find the answer. This video talks about the role of dietary fiber in slowing down the absorption of other ingested carbohydrates (unless I missed something).

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Solouble dietary fibre & resistant starches (complex) are fermented in the lower intestine by gut flora into Short Chain Fattyacids, so they do not result in an increase of blood sugar levels.
    But it does contribute to overall calories as Fatty acids.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Solouble dietary fibre & resistant starches (complex) are fermented in the lower intestine by gut flora into Short Chain Fattyacids, so they do not result in an increase of blood sugar levels.
    But it does contribute to overall calories as Fatty acids.
    Thanks! What are some examples of resistant ( complex) starches? I thought complex carbohydrates were converted to glucose just like simple carbs, just more slowly which is why they have a lower GI?

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Sorry that didn't help but hopefully you got some good info from it. It's my understanding that fiber from say something like green vegetables won't have an affect. I know how use fruit (sugar) and starches do. For example you would be ok with spinach, but will run into problems with something like squash. Although I don't understand why one would want to eat those kinds of useless things anyways. Hope this helps!