Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice? page

Crofter is offline Member

Any advice?

Shop Now
    Hi All

I know lots of folks on here have lost loads of weight and got healthy being Primal/Paleo. I have lost about 50 pounds and am approaching my target weight, just need to build a bit more muscle. (6'1"- weight 195lbs).

My question is, does the loose skin left by the weight loss eventually go away/tighten? I've never been thin in my adult life, so have no experience of "what happens next".

This is a great online community by the way, thank you!

Dave

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Loose skin generally does not retract back or go away, unfortunately. But, don't focus on that - concentrate on health. Ditch the scale, ignore the skin, and just go for strength, health, and happiness.

If the loose skin is uncomfortable, painful, or prevents you from doing certain activities, you may want to look into getting it removed surgically.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    The degree to which your loose skin will tighten depends on age, genetics, the amount of weight lost, and how fast or slow it was lost, as well as what toning was done during the weight-loss process.

Before they became greedy, plastic surgeons used to advise people to wait 2 years from the time they achieved their target weight to allow the skin to adapt (as much as it will) to the smaller body.

I lost close to 200 lbs and have significant loose skin, but it's not bothersome and not noticeable when I'm clothed (which I try to be most of the time). I don't intend to do anything about it.

Crofter is offline Member
    I'm not obsessing about it or anything, just wondered. I'm very happy to be the shape I am now and the scales just give me an idea how I'm doing. Some weeks I gain, but it's usually when I get time to do extra exercise so, it's likely to be muscle gain. I'll not be going down the surgery route!
    You're right MissJecka health is the most important thing and I think I've largely saved that from deteriorating any more.
    200 lbs emmie! Wow what an acheivement.
    Thanks to you both

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I know some people swear that firming creams have helped the skin tighten up after weight loss. I can't speak to it personally. Usually the people who have done so have used a higher end cream, such as Clarins, rather than a drugstore brand. If you have the extra cash and no issues with the ingredients, it can't hurt, but it may not help all that much.

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    There are a few good threads on here about this issue- Plus Mark has an article on it (I think). Congrats on achieving what you have!
    Male 40 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    As Emmie pointed out it really depends on your age and genetics. I was 180 at one point and now at 123. To me it was huge weight loss and I did this in the last 8 yrs or so. I'm only 30 mind you so I didn't have any loose skin. However I got a lot of stretch marks from it. I do think that weight lifting, eating a clean diet and generally taking care of my skin helped out a lot.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    NAC, MSM, Signature Chelate,

basically a shit ton of sulphur
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
    Hi All

I know lots of folks on here have lost loads of weight and got healthy being Primal/Paleo. I have lost about 50 pounds and am approaching my target weight, just need to build a bit more muscle. (6'1"- weight 195lbs).

My question is, does the loose skin left by the weight loss eventually go away/tighten? I've never been thin in my adult life, so have no experience of "what happens next".

This is a great online community by the way, thank you!

Dave
    Did you lift heavy things and sprint during the weight loss? Primal weight loss should have very little loose skin, too many hormonal/ gh benefits if you follow it correctly

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Emmie kind of nailed it...it also depends on just how much skin we're talking about. Maybe adding muscle will help even things out. Unfortunately, it just takes a little time to really be able to know for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast