Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Snack Bars! (cLara bars)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614

    Snack Bars! (cLara bars)



    I'm calling these cLara bars as they taste like a cross between a Cliff bar and a Lara bar. I was TOTALLY INSPIRED by the Civilized Caveman Cookies here, but didn't have the ingredients. It provided a fabulous "skeleton" though, and I still really want to try his. This was delicious, easier (no roasting almonds) and cheaper (because it is 1/2 seeds and 1/2 nuts)

    I know the originals must totally ROCK. Tell you what - these rock too. We are making them a staple. They are great, travel well and you can make them in two shakes of a caveman stick. My variation w/photos here.

    Do you make snack bars? What is your favorite recipe?
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    647
    I've been making things like this for a few years now, starting back when I was toying with veganism. I have a basic un-recipe of just putting a few pieces of dried fruit (usually dates, but I use dried apricots or bananas if I have them and want a change) + something solid (nuts, coconut chunks, cacao nibs, etc.) + seasonings (vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, cocoa, etc.) and pulse it a ton in my food processor. I add anything else I want to it that I don't want to break down (chocolate chips, goji berries, etc.) by hand and either roll out and cut, roll into balls, or flatten the rolled out balls (they kind of look like cookies this way, which is pretty neat) and that's that!

    My favorite combo to date is dates + almonds + unsweetened shredded coconut + cinnamon + vanilla + soy-free dairy-free chocolate chips. It tastes and looks just like cookie dough!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

    >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

    Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I've been making things like this for a few years now, starting back when I was toying with veganism. I have a basic un-recipe of just putting a few pieces of dried fruit (usually dates, but I use dried apricots or bananas if I have them and want a change) + something solid (nuts, coconut chunks, cacao nibs, etc.) + seasonings (vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, cocoa, etc.) and pulse it a ton in my food processor. I add anything else I want to it that I don't want to break down (chocolate chips, goji berries, etc.) by hand and either roll out and cut, roll into balls, or flatten the rolled out balls (they kind of look like cookies this way, which is pretty neat) and that's that!

    My favorite combo to date is dates + almonds + unsweetened shredded coconut + cinnamon + vanilla + soy-free dairy-free chocolate chips. It tastes and looks just like cookie dough!
    Yum. I noticed that pre-bake, these had the texture of Lara bars. So you do yours raw? Do they need to be stored in the fridge? How do they keep?
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
    Yum. I noticed that pre-bake, these had the texture of Lara bars. So you do yours raw? Do they need to be stored in the fridge? How do they keep?
    Yeah, I only make raw ones because they're extremely quick (within 5 minutes, they're in my mouth!). I keep them in the fridge in a tupperware. I've never pushed the boundaries with storage time with them, as I usually eat a batch in less than 5 days.

    I have some in the freezer at the moment (as I made a batch of the cookie-dough-like ones the day before I decided to do a sugar detox!) so I'm hoping they defrost nicely!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

    >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

    Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Yeah, I only make raw ones because they're extremely quick (within 5 minutes, they're in my mouth!). I keep them in the fridge in a tupperware. I've never pushed the boundaries with storage time with them, as I usually eat a batch in less than 5 days.

    I have some in the freezer at the moment (as I made a batch of the cookie-dough-like ones the day before I decided to do a sugar detox!) so I'm hoping they defrost nicely!
    Best wishes on your detox. I will have to try your choc. chip cookie dough one for sure!
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    49
    These look good and I will have to try them. Trying to (without telling them) convert my wife and kids to primal. I made some other bars with dates, raisins, and almonds and they all eat them up.

    Slowly but surely <rubs hands together and laughs menacingly >
    SW 220.5 1/18/2013

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybacon View Post
    These look good and I will have to try them. Trying to (without telling them) convert my wife and kids to primal. I made some other bars with dates, raisins, and almonds and they all eat them up.

    Slowly but surely <rubs hands together and laughs menacingly >
    LOL. Good for you! Let me know how you (and they) liked them!
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    CLARA BARS! Kinda like Clarabelle from Mickey & Friends. Love it.
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    CLARA BARS! Kinda like Clarabelle from Mickey & Friends. Love it.
    <3 Miss your recipe/posts Bork!
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
    <3 Miss your recipe/posts Bork!

    I did one yesterday, just haven't posted it.
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •