Thread: broth page

ms sage is offline Member

broth

Made myself my 1st batch of chicken broth. Yum yum. Turned out great! I am unsure on how to make beef broth. Can I get bones at my local meat store? Any recipes would be helpful.

Thanks!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    for whatever reasons, my local grocer has oogly bits of meats available on mondays, and that often includes neck bones, oxtail, marrow bones and "soup bones". it's cafo meat, but i use it anyway for broth. if you have a local butcher, the real-deal kind, they should be able to sell or give you bones. they go for short money too. i've gotten shank, "foot" and tendon at a southeast-asian grocer.

same deal as making chicken broth. i use carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. ginger if i have it. peppercorns. cover the bones with water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 24-36 hours. the bones should be soft when it's done.

strain out all the solids, reduce and portion to store and freeze. i do about 15 pounds of bones at a time.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Look for soup bones. Or save the bones when you have bone-in beef. If you can find a bone with a joint, your broth will be richer. Or drop a pigs foot in the broth if you can find one.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Look for soup bones. Or save the bones when you have bone-in beef. If you can find a bone with a joint, your broth will be richer. Or drop a pigs foot in the broth if you can find one.
    +1 for the pigs foot. Makes super gelled stock.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a pot of chicken broth going now... chicken carcass, chicken necks, and chicken feet! I would try to find oxtail in addition to soup bones. I've made beef broth from soup bones and it's pretty bland.