Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why aren't we worried about mad cow disease? page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You can get food poisoning from anything. You're far more likely to get salmonella from poultry than mad cow disease, which is exceedingly rare. More food illnesses and deaths are caused by tainted produce than bad meat. Technically, vegetables are the biggest killer. Every month there's a new e.coli outbreak. We won't even get into the number of deaths caused by car accidents driving to the grocery store. How do we even know we'll make it to ACME in one piece?

If we worried all day about everything that could kill us, we'd never stop worrying and die at 19 years old of a massive peptic ulcer. Use common sense. Wash your produce, cook your meat appropriately and keep your kitchen clean. If you're washing and cooking your food, you should be okay.
    Yeah you're right, I just don't want to take unnecessary risks
    Billie trips balls

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    When cattle are allowed to eat their natural food, they don't get mad cow disease. That is a disease of forcing cattle to eat industrial waste made from cattle brains and spinal columns. Cattle are meant to eat grass, not each other.
    Exactly. And this is part of the reason it is a good idea to make sure you know where your food is coming from. Industrial farms are more likely to feed their animals a mixture of all kinds of unhealthy and unnatural garbage. Local farms you can at least go check out to see what conditions the animals are raised in and can get information about what their diets consist of.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Buy grass fed beef, it's expensive but you can eat it all. Regular beef from grocery stores you take a risk along with everything else, i.e., cantaloupe & spinach especially this summer. Fat on a cow is full of toxins if they're not pastured and grass fed, throw it away. I buy from la Cense beef because I just love them and all of their products, but I am interested in finding local guys to save $$..I need a freezer to hold it, tho.

p.s. Got a recorded phone message from my grocery store this summer saying I bought some ORGANIC spinach which had been found with e coli, they advised I discard the spinach, only problem it was SIX weeks after I ate it. I went over there and spoke to the manager, he looked at me like I was nuts when I told him that kind of info should be in the paper and on the nightly news, not weeks and weeks after most anyone would have eaten the product. Luckily, I was in a cooked spinach mode at the time so I guess that would have killed it?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Why aren't we afraid of everything and running like Piglet and Wade Duck at every hint of danger? Because it's better to die in peace than to live in fear. There's caution, there's planning ahead and making good choices, and then there's wearing a tinfoil hat and worrying about shark attacks in the desert. You couldn't get mad cow if you tried. Go ahead, I dare you. Eat every cow brain in your county over the next year and your odds are still infinitesimal. You need to save your fear for real things.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Why are we so sure our beef is safe?
    It's kind of interesting that the other "mad" animal that cropped up at around the same time was the domestic cat.

It may be that BSE was caused by feeding body-parts to cattle -- and even if it wasn't that's so obviously a damn stupid idea that one wonders why "scientists" ever suggested it -- but there's a possibility that the problem was in fact caused by organophosphates, which were used pretty promiscuously at one time with both cows and cats. The UK had a particularly bad problem and there MAFF (the Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food) recommended dosing cattle with a systemic (sic) insecticide against warble-fly. You get the implications of "systemic" there, I trust ...

I recall one of the very few human victims in the UK was a vegetarian veterinary nurse who, of course, didn't eat meat but did handle and dose a lot of cats.

Now, I'm not saying organophosphates were the cause, but it's something to bear in mind.

Of course, if everyone farmed like Joel Salatin, whatever the cause we'd be unlikely to have these appalling problems anyway. I can't wait to hear his AHS talk, if it gets posted. I hear it was one of the highlights of the conferences.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Do you ever get into a car... ?

Enough said. You don't actually value your safety at all.
    Keep tilting at windmills!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    The rancher is feeding his kids with the same grass fed beef I'm buying.
    Pretty good quality control incentive right there.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I was led to believe that it takes a good twenty years after you eat the cow infected with Mad cow disease (human form is something like jacob croytzfeltzzzz ), before symptoms show up. It was also established, I think, that the freezing works were making a mixture of blood and bone, and we humans were putting it on our gardens, etc... So who knows how, where, why etcccc...As an aside, in the Solomons their is a disease called Kudu,or kuru. This disease is spread through the tribe, because the members of said tribe believe that if they eat the brains of the person who has just died, they will get all their knowledge !
    We don't practice that one here in NZ, but I am darned sure that my Mum and Dad used to put blood and bone on our vege garden !!!!!
    I will keep an eye out for any signs of madness.
    ****** First sign of madness is hairs growing on the palms of your hands .................................................. ....................
    ******second sign..... of course ......is looking for them !

Don't quote me....I am sometimes wrong !!!!!

"never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 08-28-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling, spelling, spelling
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12