Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Annie's Primal Highlights page

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Annie's Primal Highlights

Bacon-wrapped chicken breasts filled with sour cream, olives and tomato paste, seasoned with basil and pepper. Roast yams, buttered cauliflower and fried mushrooms. Just another awesome primal meal chez Annie.

Since changing to this way of eating just a couple of months ago, I have never felt better. I just love how this food is so delicious and enjoyable and leaves me feeling completely well fed yet never bloated. It's almost unbelievable that it is also keeping me slim.

In this journal I intend to document my various primal discoveries as they occur. I have identified so many already that I am determined to delay no longer lest I begin to forget. For now, let it be recorded that I have never found cooking so rewarding, because I know it will always be tasty, great for my body, and good for my family's health.

mmmmm, breakfast.

Mushrooms pan-fried in butter, freshly picked silverbeet, scrambled eggs from my sister's free-range hens, topped with grated NZ tasty cheese.

Sure do love breakfast time these days. If only my DH would let me cook him the same, but he so loves his muesli and yoghurt. Little does he know that I "cut" the lowfat stuff 50:50 with fullfat Greek yoghurt.

Still having a delicious day. Lunch is salad greens loaded with olives, grapes, bacon, mushrooms, cashews, and drizzled with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice (love springtime, I have been missing my lemons but they are ripening now). All topped with a chunk of cream cheese.

Yes I know there are other highlights of primal than just the food, and I do intend to write about them eventually, but at the moment, the great food is what I'm thinking about. It's just soooooooooo good.
    Last edited by Annieh; 09-11-2012 at 12:11 AM.

I'm not worried yet, but when your gym class instructor says "Don't you go losing any more weight, girl," it does make you stop and think.

My weight is approximately 60kg and I have been trying to maintain this, but suspect it is still dropping gradually. Therefore making a conscious effort to add back in some extras calories and carbs with nuts, cheese, milk drinks, fruit and even potatoes.

I really don't want to forfeit the benefits that I have found from going gluten free, but nor do I want to get any skinnier - I have plenty of muscle, a light covering of fat and all my clothes are loose.

So, today's menu - note the cheese, cashews, cream and dessert. All in one day!

B: Two-egg omelette served with freshly picked silverbeet, buttery mushrooms and topped with grated tasty cheese.
    S: leftover roast potatoes, cashews.
    L: roast pork, apple sauce, parsnip, bacon; Banana and berry chocolate smoothie with cream.
    D: butter chicken on steamed cabbage, cauliflower; almond/banana cheesecake, fruit salad and cream

Highlight of the morning: Sending my daughter to school on a breakfast of oh-so-primal almond and banana cheesecake with fruit salad and cream, followed by (oddly, I know) leftover butter chicken.

She's happy to have a full tummy, and I'm happy that she's probably had the best breakfast of all her classmates, lol.

Oh, and dh let me cook him bacon and eggs this morning and even turned down tomato sauce on them because "there's too much sugar in sauce". Perhaps he's starting to get it!

Breno is offline Junior Member
    Like Mark (or was it someone else?) said: don't worry too much about weight, worry about lean mass. I don't think going under 60kg (don't know how tall you are) is a problem as long as you don't lose muscle. Your meals sound delicious, wish I had the skills to cook something beside pasta and eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Breno View Post
    Like Mark (or was it someone else?) said: don't worry too much about weight, worry about lean mass. I don't think going under 60kg (don't know how tall you are) is a problem as long as you don't lose muscle. Your meals sound delicious, wish I had the skills to cook something beside pasta and eggs.
    Thanks Breno for your nice comments on my cooking, it is something that I used to do only because I had to, but now I do enjoy it, and I enjoy it even more since eating primally. I believe that when you start with good, wholesome ingredients it's hard to go wrong.

For example, my salad wasn't really a recipe. I just bought some greens and a cooked chicken, then scattered toppings from whatever was in the fridge and pantry such as avocado, grapes, pineapple chunks, olives, cheese, bacon, nuts, seeds. Salt, pepper. Drizzle olive oil over the top, and if you can pick a lemon off the tree and juice it also, all the better.

My fruit salad was just as easy. Peel and chop an apple, pear, kiwifruit, banana, orange and toss a tin of pineapple with its juice over the top. Then whip some fresh cream to dollop on top and you're done.

Of course, some recipes require a bit more experience and practice, but that soon develops when you cook regularly. So good luck. Eggs are a great place to start, and you will soon build up a range of recipes that you can easily add to.
    By the way, I am 5'4".

A barefoot highlight: Walking along the beach with my teenage daughter in the fabulous spring sunshine yesterday.

It was an exceptionally beautiful day and people were out doing so many primal activities - whitebaiting, paddle-boarding, fishing, dog walking, and just meditating cross-legged on the sand.

Was so glad to be out there with them, paddling at the water's edge and enjoying the sun and air on my skin.

Hard to find a highlight today. Was itching to get outside and do some exercise but no one wanted to join me. In the end I took myself for a long walk, perhaps an hour and a half. The walking was good, but I wished I had company.

Food was good again, but I think not quite enough.

B: 2 slices of bacon, one homemade hash brown fried in butter.
    L: Salad of greens, chicken, bacon, avocado, grapes, olives, olive oil and lemon juice. Oven baked potato wedges (yes, white potato).
    D: Lamb chop, pumpkin bake with coconut cream, broccoli.
    S: Some cashews, another 1/2 chop.

Would have liked a smoothie or hot chocolate but not enough milk in the fridge.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Annie, I hope today has been a better one for you !
    And your meals do sound yummy !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast