Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Annie's Primal Highlights page 27

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Today was full of primal highlights. First of all we all slept in for the excellent reason that it was finally RAINING. So thankful the drought has broken that the first thing I did was go outside, still in my nightie, to feel the rain on my skin.

Due to rushing off to church in a hurry, lunch needed to be substantial and I had an overgrown zucchini/immature marrow which needed to be made appetising. In the end that turned out to be simple enough - I just sliced it lengthways, scooped out the seeds, and filled with a mixture of leftovers (beaten egg, cooked mince, kumara), topped with grated cheese, and added a slice of bacon each. Bacon makes everything taste good.

While all that was baking, I wandered out in my damp garden for a few cobs of corn to steam and drizzle with butter. So that was lunch.

DD was in a cooking mood so she spent the afternoon alternately whizzing and freezing a berry/banana/honey/cream mixture for our dessert, and I cleaned out the fridge by throwing everything into the soup pot. And that was dinner.

It's raining again now which is very very welcome.

B: Fresh fruit and a slice of cheese. And a spoonful of pure buttercup honey. Mmmhmmm.
    L: Baked stuffed marrow with bacon and a cob of corn.
    S: Few roasted peanuts and some dark chocolate.
    D: Homemade cream of vegetable soup (veges sauteed in dripping, herbs and spices, homemade stock, fresh parsley, coconut cream), followed by homemade boysenberry icecream.
    Last edited by Annieh; 03-17-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Today I cooked salmon for the first time, and it was pretty good simply sprinkled with salt and panfried in butter. I drizzled a little coconut cream on top which was nice but very rich. If I do it again I would probably settle for lemon juice and parsley.

There's no way to keep ahead of zucchini production at this time of year. Just when you think you have baked the last marrow, there are three more ripe for the harvest. So I grated the largest one, squeezed out the juice, added salt and garlic and fried it up in butter to have something to serve my salmon with. It was ok, I suppose, for zucchini.

Loving the rain today, here at last after two whole months.

Also excited about another week of primal cooking ahead of me after stocking up on the groceries this morning.

There seems no way I am going to inspire my dh to eat this way, so I am turning my attention instead to giving him the healthiest possible non-primal options. I was disillusioned to realised that every loaf of bread I can purchase has canola oil in it. I don't want to go back to baking my own, because that only encourages them to eat even more. There are crumpets, and perhaps some wraps/tortillas or something with only olive oil. But they're expensive and you can't put them in the toaster, haha.

Cereal and yoghurt is his breakfast of choice, so I have bought a delicious looking wholesome yoghurt (Piako) and am now making muesli with all pure ingredients, it was quite a mission to find dried fruit without added vegetable oil but I eventually found raisins with no other ingredients listed (Pam's). Unfortunately I have just overtoasted the first batch of oats/coconut/almonds

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    pita bread usually doesnt have anything too dodge other than wheat in. i definitely miss it toasted =( re: too many zucchinis, i used to pick the flowers, stuff them with garlic cheese and fry them. you can google loads of different recipes.
    Five Ways to Eat Squash Blossoms | The Kitchn

Hi Seaweed, thanks for the link. Seriously, is it worth bothering to eat the blossoms? Seems kind of wacky to me, lol.

I will check out the pita breads next time, I'm sure my dh and dd would like them for lunches and if they're only flour and water then I could probably live with feeding it to them.

The blossoms are divine. Try one and see. Kinda peasant gourmet as you cant buy them in the shops.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Annie I have an amazing bread recipe - really easy, not primal, but I do make it when friends come round. I actually bake it in old B'beans/spaghetti/cat food tins. If you would like it I can certainly post it here. Its actually one of Annabelle Langbines, with my own spin !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Post away, hopefully we won't get banned.

Today's highlights came from my dd. First of all she comes home from school and fries herself an egg. Then she goes out to youth group which includes dinner, this week was pasta bake. That's not the highlight, but when she came home and found the rest of us eating slow roasted lamb neck chops, she found room for one of those as well. That's my hungry primal girl!!

The cooking page in this morning's paper featured a recipe for wholemeal pancakes suitable for diabetics??? From the moment I saw the photograph of the cooking teacher, I was disinclined to pay attention to her advice on avoiding diabetes. But her article actually encouraged students to avoid anything in a packet and learn to make their own healthy lunch featuring unprocessed meat, vegetable and fruit, with water to drink. Also, she truthfully admits she is overweight, prediabetic and is preaching to herself. Such a shame that she also promotes grains while dissing fat.

The cooking page in this morning's paper featured a recipe for wholemeal pancakes suitable for diabetics???
    there was some horrid looking quinoa porridge recipe on stuff i think today too posted as suitable for diabetics. i wish my kids would make themselves eggs. my win today was i made them some guacamole to go with the last of their packet of organic corn chips as an after school snack and no one whined!!

Guacamole is fantastic, I would be shocked indeed if they whined at that.

As for the eggs, yeah I was really surprised (but of course inwardly delighted). She also sometimes makes a mug cake.

maybe i should get them into mug cakes. they dont really like bananas which is a problem there. devilled eggs with guacamole mashed into the egg yolks are nice. from memory they liked them so i may try those tomorrow after school. i have avocados galore right now.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast