Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tea is freakin' amazing... page 5

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Have you tried yerba mate? I find it ironic that it has as much caffeine in it as black tea, maybe even slightly more, but I sleep WAY better on the days where I drink it and am much more relaxed throughout the day as well. The caffeine hits me much different than in coffee or even tea. I think this might be owing to the unique mixture of antioxidants and the fact that yerba mate is more than just pure caffeine. It is actually a mixture of the three stimulants caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline, which in the combination found in yerba mate can make it have a completely different effect on your body.
    My issue isn't sleeplessness, it's rapid changes in blood pressure, but it might be interesting to give it a try.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I start my day with coffee, then switch to tea at work.

I have several varieties of Yerba Maté, Tulsi (from Organic India), and Chai that I choose from. I'm learning to like it without stevia, as I'm trying to turn into a fat-burner, and I don't want to confuse any signals...

Often, I think the tea leaves smell better than the tea tastes. Sometimes, I just smell it, rather than drink it.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    Tea is the only way I can get enough hydration at work, since water just doesn't go down well. I have a 16oz mug and my first cup is a nice black, white or green tea (depending on what caught my eye at the store that week - our local co-op has a decent selection). My 2nd cup is usually something herbal from Celestial Seasonings. And my 3rd cup is pure homegrown medicine - lemon balm, mint & nettles all harvested from my yard where they grow like crazy.

I tend to drink more tea at home in the winter, and that's when I spend more on snobby tea. I do like pu-erh too.
    Just a bit of info from a fellow primal afficianato, but you do know that the vast majority of Celestial Seasoning's herbal "teas" have soy lecithin in them? That would make them not primal approved.

Just sayin'.

Love me my morning cuppa though!

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    My issue isn't sleeplessness, it's rapid changes in blood pressure, but it might be interesting to give it a try.
    Gotcha. I understand.

I would still give it a try once or twice just to see. As I said, I feel much more relaxed when I've had the stuff too. If it shot my blood pressure up, I don't think I would be feeling so relaxed.

What I've read is that the unique combination of alkaloids (the three stimulants mentioned above) that are found in the yerba mate supposedly make it a vassodiolator (it dialates blood vessels). If so, it would, in theory, lower your blood pressure at least temporarily. You'd have to try it out to know for sure though. But hey, we might have found a new winner!

Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    I start my day with coffee, then switch to tea at work.

I have several varieties of Yerba Maté, Tulsi (from Organic India), and Chai that I choose from. I'm learning to like it without stevia, as I'm trying to turn into a fat-burner, and I don't want to confuse any signals...

Often, I think the tea leaves smell better than the tea tastes. Sometimes, I just smell it, rather than drink it.
    Last I heard, stevia doesn't have the same blood sugar confusing and insulin increasing effects as the artifical sweeteners tend to. I'm not really sure what the difference is though. I still say, as always, if you like your tea unsweetened, then go for it straight up! It's always great to taste things the way they were naturally created!

Just think for how many years unsweetened tea was the ONLY option, before people learned to cultivate sugar cane and/or thought to put other sweeteners in it.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I drink a bottle of Ito En Oi Ocha Japanese Green Tea (dark) every afternoon with org lime and a few drops of liquid stevia. I am hooked on it for its rich taste and the powerful amt of energy it gives me. It's expensive but I don't mind because it takes the place of ginger ale, diet soda, lemonade and whatever else junk liquid I was swilling down.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    actually read a daily mail article about how mathew mccounahaaaay...the actor.... mananged to drop so much weight in a short time for his movie role and they seemed to suggest that it was by drinking copious amounts of tea....probably a load of bullocks but found it interesting

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    I don't use the weird fruit-flavored ones. The boring old-fashioned ones are usually ok.

And I'm not really too hung-up on 'primal approved' anyway. Primal inspired is about all I'll admit to. Especially not knowing who the heck is in charge of 'approval'.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    I don't use the weird fruit-flavored ones. The boring old-fashioned ones are usually ok.

And I'm not really too hung-up on 'primal approved' anyway. Primal inspired is about all I'll admit to. Especially not knowing who the heck is in charge of 'approval'.
    I can confirm that the Celestial Seasonings chamomile "tea" and peppermint "tea" are just the pure herb and are totally ok.

A lot of their flavored blends though, do contain the soy lecithin, useful information for folks who may be allergic.
    If anyone wants to avoid the soy from their teas it just takes a simple look at the label to be sure. Some of us may not be concerned about it however.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    actually read a daily mail article about how mathew mccounahaaaay...the actor.... mananged to drop so much weight in a short time for his movie role and they seemed to suggest that it was by drinking copious amounts of tea....probably a load of bullocks but found it interesting
    Tea can be a wonderful tool to help people lose weight. It suppresses appetite (even more-so when you talk about yerba mate), increases utilization of fat for energy, and increases metabolism to burn calories. Is it a magical silver-bullet for weight loss? No.

But it CAN be a great accompaniment to an exercise plan and a diet that calls for calorie-counting/restriction.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast