Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea is freakin' amazing... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    Don't compare caffeine obtained through high quality pure teas with Red Bull and Coke. That's ridiculous.
    This is so true. The chemical compounds in soda, energy drinks, coffee, tea, and yerba mate ALL effect the ways in which we absorb, react to, and tolerate the caffeine therein. My guess is, adding a ton of sugar (such as are in energy drinks and sodas) would increase the jitters and crashes caused by caffeine that unsweetened tea and yerba mate might not.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Espresso has less caffeine in it than regular coffee, as caffeine is water soluble. It takes about 20 seconds or less to make a single shot of espresso.

Tea has significantly less caffeine in it than coffee. You don't tend to steep black/white/green teas for longer than 3 - 5 minutes. Again, caffeine being water soluble, this makes all the difference. I would be surprised if drinking 3 - 4 cups of white/green/black tea a day even amounted to 150 milligrams. I doubt it.

Drumroll, I became a tea snob too. It's an expensive hobby :P
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Actually, if I have it correct, the tea leaf has more caffeine than a coffee bean, but because coffee is a brew process and tea is a steeping process, a cup of tea tends to have slightly less caffeine than coffee. That can change, though, depending on how long you steep the tea. The longer you steep it, the more caffeine the tea will have.

I love my tea in the mornings. I have always liked tea but was a pretty heavy duty black coffee drinker for years. It used to be when I drank tea it had to have cream and a boat load of sugar or lemon and a boat load of sugar. About two years ago (right near the end of my last stint of working graveyards at a hotel...coincidence?) coffee just started tasting bad to me and I switched to tea. Black tea. At first it was standard bagged tea and then I discovered the wonders of a properly brewed pot of loose leaf tea. I don't have a Teavana near me but I am a fairly regular customer of Englishteastore.com.

I have fairly simple tea tastes, so a pot of strong Irish Breakfast in the morning makes me happy and saves the lives of those around me.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Espresso has less caffeine in it than regular coffee, as caffeine is water soluble. It takes about 20 seconds or less to make a single shot of espresso.

Tea has significantly less caffeine in it than coffee. You don't tend to steep black/white/green teas for longer than 3 - 5 minutes. Again, caffeine being water soluble, this makes all the difference. I would be surprised if drinking 3 - 4 cups of white/green/black tea a day even amounted to 150 milligrams. I doubt it.

Drumroll, I became a tea snob too. It's an expensive hobby :P
    Expensive hobby is so right! I'm about to break into a five pound package of unsmoked, unfired, unsteamed yerba mate tomorrow. That's gonna last me a LOOOOOONG time. And because it's completely untreated, the flavor should be amazingly smooth and green. Looking forward to it!

And maybe it was even less than I thought. I dunno, that was just my rough guess based on the usual caffeine amounts in tea that are quoted.

(IE black tea = 50-80 milligrams, oolong tea = 30-70 milligrams, green tea = 30-50 milligrams, white tea = 5-30 milligrams, and yerba mate = 50-100 milligrams)

RobinNM, it also has to do with the fact that you use more coffee beans per cup than you do tea leaves (tablespoon or even two, of ground beans, one teaspoon of tea leaves). Combine that with the brewing of coffee vs. steeping of tea that you mention and you have your explanation for why coffee tends to have more caffeine in general.

I started with black tea as well, but that was mearly a gateway for me. Now I enjoy almost all types of tea. In fact, I'm not much a fan of the strong breakfast blends. I go for a brew that tends to be less bitter and more flavorful.

Thistle5 is offline Junior Member
    I love tea! My mainstay is decaf green tea,w/ a sachet of lapsang souchong-I drink a gallon, iced, every couple of days....

Never was a fan of the lapsang souchong, I love the golden monkey or a good Darjeeling for black teas. Yum.

Thistle5 is offline Junior Member
    I love smoke, I smoke alot of meats & seafood also, I think I can easily adapt this style of cooking to primal/paleo sort of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle5 View Post
    I love smoke, I smoke alot of meats & seafood also, I think I can easily adapt this style of cooking to primal/paleo sort of stuff...
    You must be new here...

This place is a big fan of smoked meats such as bacon, jerky, and the like.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    150mg is two servings of Red Bull - three servings of Mountain Dew - nearly 5 servings of Coke - yeah, that is a lot.

That some people go full on retard with this drug and consume even more doesn't change that fact.

But again - ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Cheers!
    Yeesh man you're a real prick

You very well know there's other crap in Red Bull, Mountain Dew, and Coke that totally confound your little caffeine comparison.

Ahoy!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast