Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain tolerance page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Grain tolerance

Hello! I've been on here for a few days, and I have learned a ton about nutrition in that short time. However, I'm still debating whether or not grains are THAT bad. Some of the posters here say they feel terrible after eating sugary things. I've been doing a low carb paleo-esque diet for about a week (not very long I realize), and decided to cheat and have some, horror of all horrors, Cinnamon toast crunch, and a little later I also had some carby soup. And you know what? I feel fine. I didn't get a sugar rush from the giant helping of breakfast cereal (honestly, it shouldn't even be considered a breakfast food. Cinnamon toast crunch is candy as far as I'm concerned). I feel just as good as I did before eating all that sugar. Of course, maybe I just haven't been eating the primal way long enough to notice the effects?

But what I'm really wondering is if certain people can simply handle sugar better than other? I've always been a big bread eater, and I'm at a healthy weight. I don't have crashes in the afternoon and I generally feel energetic and focused throughout the entire day, even if I had a big bowl of over-processed sugar filled cereal for breakfast. I realize this might not be the case for a lot of people, but sugar doesn't really seem to effect me at all. I do sometimes tend to over eat sugary things, but than again, I also tend to over eat fatty foods like bacon, if it's laid out in front of me.

What do you guys think? Does it have something to do with ethnicity or what,(I come from a largely Hispanic background, by the way). I think it's pretty interesting to think about anyway. For instance, the Chinese are very healthy and they live off of grain. Or at least the ones who eat traditional diets do.

Baker72 is offline Junior Member
    Like everything in life, there is a continuum from those who are lightly affected to those that are heavily affected.

With that said, you are very new to Paleo and have only been doing it a week. That is NOT enough time. You should go 3-4 weeks doing strict Paleo/Primal and then try having a big bowl of cereal and see how you feel.

Also, regardless of how you feel, the internal processes from that much sugar and crap (yes, Cin. Toast Crunch is PURE crap) is just not good for you.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    It takes AT LEAST 2 weeks for your body to switch off the sugar-for-energy stuff. I would give it a solid 3 weeks, 100% PB then see how you feel.

Also have you read the book? Grains are bad for many reasons, not only making you feel tired.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yes there are certain levels of adaptation. It is a principle of evolutionary theory that populations adapt to their environment over a number of generations. The white hares in the snowy tundra soon become dominant while the brown hares are selected against. Same goes for skin pigmentation of humans and the lighter the skin, the better vitamin d is synthesized. Likewise, food is possibly our biggest environmental factor and those whose ancestors ate more neolithic food are better adapted to eat it without as much detriment to health. Chinese people have been eating rice for 10000 years and while that is not enough time for any macro-evolution, it is ample opportunity for adaptation.

You can get food sensitivity tests to lactose, gluten, etc and you can also get a "metabolic typing" test to see what sort of acid-alkaline balance you need and what sorts of macronutrient ratios you can handle. My one word of advice is that I still consider this to be what it truly is, an adaptation. It is a CAN and not necessarily a SHOULD. If I ingest a little poison every day, in many years I will have an immunity. But should I ingest poison at all if I don't have to? I don't think that anyone has fully adapted to neolithic food. In third-world countries where they eat a lot of beans and grains adaptation + a lack of contemporary frankenfood puts them ahead of the western nations who just happen to be able to afford a lot of meat, in chronic disease and general vitality. But from my overwhelming anecdotal experience eating strict paleo and interacting with its community, I can not see any advantage to the grain-eaters.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Also In the book it says not being affected as much by carbs could be a sign of insulin resistance.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I am probably in the middle ground somewhere. I have found that if I eat carbs I get the carb hunger and hour or two later (due to insulin). I am overweight, but have found weight loss fairly easy since cutting carbs in January, slow but steady. I don't cheat often, but when I do I don't notice feeling worse, so like you beefsister, I am not that sensitive to them, but they do encourage weight gain (i.e. hunger) for me. I suspect I am insulin resistant because of the hunger issue and also the difficulty in losing weight depsite following all the CW 'rules' (low calorie, low fat, cardio exercise etc).

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Yes there is definitely different levels of tolerance for different cultures and people. But, as said above, because of what happens in your bodies organs/systems/muscles you should give yourself 3 weeks.

The idea is that people who come from ancestry lines from warmer areas (Quetchus of South America), can handle grains better because natural forms of carbohydrate grew there. While people with ancestry lines from colder areas (ESKIMO tribe) handle higher protein and fat because natural carbohydrate does not grow there.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I can still handle grains and sugar pretty well. I'm certainly not knocked on my ass by a few servings. That being said, I can tell my body objects. I get a bit of an oogy feeling in my stomach and I bloat up a little. What used to be a teensy bit of sugar (say, a square of chocolate) sends me ricocheting off the walls. Corn syrup makes my sinuses stuff up (actually it always did that. I just thought I had a chronically stuffy nose until I stopped ingesting the stuff).

And generally, cereal should not be considered a breakfast food. After reading the ingredients of most of them I don't think they should be considered a food at all. (Wheaties Fuel is downright frightening)

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Give it time. I used to not be effected, then after a month of eating primal, if I eat a few pieces of bread you can bet I will be crunched over with a major stomach ache. Sugar and dairy dont effect me much though, its different for everyone. I can eat a lb of ice cream and feel no ill effect other than being full. I guess gluten effects me more. I know its not healthy either way though.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I first started, I had similar thoughts - until I realized that all those pains in my stomach & in my joints were from the grains. I'll still have white rice now & again, & do eat quinoa pasta every once in a GREAT while (it's mixed with corn), but yeah. You might think you feel fine, but I bet there are other things you haven't noticed yet. My fiance sort of switched with me in January, but is just now realizing how much more energy he has, how much less hungry he is, & how crappy he feels after eating anything with grains.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast