Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long to recover from gruelling squats workout? page 2

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Recovery is the absolute least understood aspect of training. It is so downplayed. There have been clinical studies done on advanced trainees where it took as long as 3 weeks to recover from one leg workout! Yes that person could have trained sooner but they wouldn't have come back as strong as they did waiting the 3 weeks.

So the point here is that you are probably underestimating recovery and its importance. I recently due to life's situations, took about 3 weeks away from the gym and came back just as strong in most exercises and even stronger in others!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    5 x 15 @ 52.5 done today, and felt stronger than last time.

You're right about recovery though, I wouldn't have wanted to have done the workout any sooner, and did feel a little nervous on the drive to the gym. (Always the sign of a good workout plan!)

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    usually take me around 4 days to recover. i always do all of my heavy lifts only once per week.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I found that I switched to 5/3/1 that my SQTs improved when I started doing them 1-nce a week as opposite to 3x a week on Madcow! Doing each lift just once a week with lighter, higher volume support really hit home for me on the first cycle. Then, of course I over-reached, and dropped half the gain. I am starting the second now after stalling for 3 weeks on week 1. I am thinking that I will have to take an entire week off after the Week 4 deload on 5/3/1, because Week 3 is so brutal. Who would have thought that???
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12