Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading? page 7

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Just read Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World by Joel Salatin
    Thanx, I will give it a look

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Oh man, so I picked up Game of Thrones a couple days ago. I'm friggin' hooked, I can't stop reading this damn book!!!!
    I started reading this and then there was quite a horrific part so I stopped. My teenage sons think I am mad, the 19 year old has been reading them non stop for last month or so. He has now bought the DVDs.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber. Fantastic. An anarchist anthropologist, he takes to task both left and right, undermines the idea of the "barter system" (it basically never existed) and shows that credit came before money. That Adam Smith ripped off a Persian writer from several hundred years earlier. Recommended.
    I read that last year. Totally agree, it was illuminating. Thanks for reminding me, I should look for more of his work! I think he's written a few other books about activism and political ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I thought his justification for the Montana stuff, which did rather read like a love letter, which was that any society is made up of individuals with sometimes competing priorities did do what he intented and gave the reader a new prism through which to view the historical societies. On rereading it though I did find his writing style difficult. Suddenly it seemed like lecture notes that had been transcribed and that rather grated.
    Yeah, I got the message he was trying to convey, I just think he's a much better writer than that, usually. Maybe he's too close to the subject or something. It didn't bother me, exactly, but it was much the weaker part of the book IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    I started reading this and then there was quite a horrific part so I stopped. My teenage sons think I am mad, the 19 year old has been reading them non stop for last month or so. He has now bought the DVDs.
    Oh, if you have trouble dealing with graphic descriptions of violent cruelty, then A Song of Ice and Fire is definitely not for you. The story is really, really good though.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Bob-Tao is offline Member
    11/22/63 by Stephen King. After skipping his books for a few years I went for this 800 + page novel. It's about a man who gets the chance to change history and embarks on a mission to stop the assassination of JFK. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and so far I think it may be his best novel. He reminds me of a modern day Charles Dickens. Hope I still am as happy with it when I'm done.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Haha yeah, I put a moratorium on my book-buying habit for a while. I am using the library and other sources of free books only for a while. I was listening to a lot of audiobooks for a while and damn, are those pricey. And they don't seem to drop the price as time goes by like they do for paper books, either--the Clan of the Cave Bear books were like $20 a pop and those have been around for 20+ years!
    Clan of the Cave Bear! I loved the 1st 3 books but Jondalar's whining and Ayla's amazing abilities to be amazing at everything started to grate. Can't believe they would charge that much! I couldn't make myself read Plains of Passage.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Feast for Crows by George Martin, and about to pick up 1491 by Charles Mann.

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss then depending on how much time I have after I finished I may finish The Soul Mirror by carol Burg...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Clan of the Cave Bear! I loved the 1st 3 books but Jondalar's whining and Ayla's amazing abilities to be amazing at everything started to grate. Can't believe they would charge that much! I couldn't make myself read Plains of Passage.
    It gets to the point that basically everything researchers come out with about paleolithic humans, Auel has Ayla discover in the next book she writes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Picaro is offline Member
    I did a run of Edward Rutherfurd books for a while. He has a knack for combining historic facts with a good yarn.

Almost through Sex at Dawn....I've gotten more out of it than I expected.

I've also just tried audio books while on the motorcycle, but so far I've found it a bit irritating.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Snow Child
    The Power of Habit
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic & Madness at the Fair that Changed America

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast