Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading? page 6

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just finished Swamplandia.

Can I ask a Kindle touch question? Is the contrast background/writing just a lot less pronounced than in a book? I feel like I need strong light to read the Kidle and have stopped doing it. Doesn't seem right, but it's brand new.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber. Fantastic. An anarchist anthropologist, he takes to task both left and right, undermines the idea of the "barter system" (it basically never existed) and shows that credit came before money. That Adam Smith ripped off a Persian writer from several hundred years earlier. Recommended.
    Graeber is one of my academic heroes.

Currently reading Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History, by Stephen Jay Gould.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, so I picked up Game of Thrones a couple days ago. I'm friggin' hooked, I can't stop reading this damn book!!!!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    My library carries absolutely everything he's written, but I stalled on the civilizations book, all that touchy-feely stuff about Montana... very different from his other writings.
    I enjoyed Collapse, but not the Montana parts as much as the Greenland stuff, which was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    The Abercrombie books are great! He wrote a couple more, which were good but not as compelling as the original trilogy.
    I've been chewing through books since getting an iPad - that "one-click" book shopping on Amazon is going to be the death of my bank account. So far, loved the Deborah Harkness books (A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night) and got into Gillian Flynn too.
    Haha yeah, I put a moratorium on my book-buying habit for a while. I am using the library and other sources of free books only for a while. I was listening to a lot of audiobooks for a while and damn, are those pricey. And they don't seem to drop the price as time goes by like they do for paper books, either--the Clan of the Cave Bear books were like $20 a pop and those have been around for 20+ years!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    How to Read a Painting: Lessons from the Old Masters by Patrick de Rynck

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I enjoyed Collapse, but not the Montana parts as much as the Greenland stuff, which was interesting.

Haha yeah, I put a moratorium on my book-buying habit for a while. I am using the library and other sources of free books only for a while. I was listening to a lot of audiobooks for a while and damn, are those pricey. And they don't seem to drop the price as time goes by like they do for paper books, either--the Clan of the Cave Bear books were like $20 a pop and those have been around for 20+ years!
    I thought his justification for the Montana stuff, which did rather read like a love letter, which was that any society is made up of individuals with sometimes competing priorities did do what he intented and gave the reader a new prism through which to view the historical societies. On rereading it though I did find his writing style difficult. Suddenly it seemed like lecture notes that had been transcribed and that rather grated.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

chrisay59 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneidle24seven View Post
    Into the Wild!
    Superb Book!!!!

chrisay59 is offline Member
    The Lost City of Z - David Grann
    AWOL on the Appalachian Trail - David Miller

Lose yourself in a book and let your imagination wander!

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens

Mmmmmmmm, ccccchhhhhiiiiiccccckkkkeeeennnnn.....

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just read Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World by Joel Salatin

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast