Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Probiotics for Candida? page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Question Affordable Probiotics for Candida?

Primal Fuel
    Since starting my 21-Day Sugar Detox two weeks ago, I'm noticing how yeast/candida has been affecting my GI issues as well as bloating. Because of this, and some research, I want to try to get into probiotics more.

My ideal is to make home-made kombucha someday, but due to limited space and an erratic work schedule forthcoming, that's out of the question for now. Until then, I would like some ideas of easy and affordable ways to get a lot of probiotics to heal my candida issues and promote a better GI experience.

I tried drinking kefir last week for a few mornings and it made my stomach feel awful. I think it's the yeast that exists in kefir that was doing it, or the fact that I rarely eat dairy anymore and can't handle the lactose in it.

I did some searching in the forums for probiotic supplements but most are expensive. The following three were spoken of the highest, so if anyone can attest to how "worth it" any of these are, let me know:

Furthermore, what are your thoughts on a couple of tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar every day? This seems to be the most affordable option, but I'm curious if the probiotics in the vinegar will do next to nothing compared to the supplements.

In summary: what probiotic option will give me the most bang for my buck?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I believe it's the pectin in the ACV that's helpful, as a prebiotic, not a probiotic.

Is yogurt problematic for you? You could try making it, it doesn't take much monitoring, depending on the method you use. I have only tried it once so far and was semi-successful.

Taking probiotics on an empty stomach seems to be key, according to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults. I don't know which probiotics are best against Candida, but Acidophilus is usually recommended. Check out vitacost.com so you can get more information on serving sizes for those particular bottles/brands (don't know if it's carried there or not though), so you can determine cost/serving, not cost/capsule.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lissee is offline Senior Member
    The cheapest thing to do would be to make your own sauerkraut or pickled veggis. I was just researching this yesterday, here are a few things I learned.

Buy some fermented veggis from this place (Cultured Vegetables - CULTURED VEGETABLES, SHOP-IMMUNITRITION ), and then use some of the juice as starter liquid for your own batch. Caroline said that when you use a starter that it can really cut down on the culturing time. Caroline talks in depth on how to make your own, using a glass canning jar at home, here: Dr. Mercola Interviews Caroline Barringer - YouTube

Here's a good jumping off point for researching at fermenting stuff. List of Fermented Foods & Vegetables that Can Heal Your Gut And a GREAT TED video about bacteria.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang///id/509

Good luck!!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I believe it's the pectin in the ACV that's helpful, as a prebiotic, not a probiotic.

Is yogurt problematic for you? You could try making it, it doesn't take much monitoring, depending on the method you use. I have only tried it once so far and was semi-successful.

Taking probiotics on an empty stomach seems to be key, according to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults. I don't know which probiotics are best against Candida, but Acidophilus is usually recommended. Check out vitacost.com so you can get more information on serving sizes for those particular bottles/brands (don't know if it's carried there or not though), so you can determine cost/serving, not cost/capsule.
    I used to adore yogurt, but ever since I started this Detox, I think I may have developed (or accentuated?) a sensitivity to the stuff. When I had kefir, I felt very uncomfortable all day (and I drank it first thing in the morning) - basically sour stomach, almost like acid reflux. I have a hunch that yogurt will do the same...

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    The cheapest thing to do would be to make your own sauerkraut or pickled veggis. I was just researching this yesterday, here are a few things I learned.

Buy some fermented veggis from this place (Cultured Vegetables - CULTURED VEGETABLES, SHOP-IMMUNITRITION ), and then use some of the juice as starter liquid for your own batch. Caroline said that when you use a starter that it can really cut down on the culturing time. Caroline talks in depth on how to make your own, using a glass canning jar at home, here: Dr. Mercola Interviews Caroline Barringer - YouTube

Here's a good jumping off point for researching at fermenting stuff. List of Fermented Foods & Vegetables that Can Heal Your Gut And a GREAT TED video about bacteria.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang///id/509

Good luck!!
    Thanks for sharing these resources! I don't know if I am up for making my own sauerkraut, as I'm not a fan of pickled things and in my stupid brain I equate pickling to fermenting (though I know they're different!). I did enjoy some locally-made kraut a small business made where I just moved from, but now that I'm in a new city I don't know where to find such things! I also love kimchee because it's spicy.

Do you know if having some raw apple cider vinegar will have similar probiotic effects as fully-fermented stuff?

Even so, I'll look into making some of my own fermented things! Sounds like a fun project!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Birch Xylitol and Coconut oil in medium not massive amounts, starve that stuff to death,

Magnesium citrate to flush it out.

10 days tops, clean as a whistle
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I've been wanting to try Garden of Life Primal Defense myself after doing research.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a doc who would prescribe nystatin for you? It's super cheap if you have insurance...I'd imagine not horribly expensive if you don't. Might help take the edge off -- I've found it very helpful. I used candida cleanse, and my holistic doc swears by berberine supplement and caprillic acid for the holistic response to candida. I'm still battling mine -- mostly winning. Coconut oil can't hurt. I do use apple cider vinegar for salads, but I don't use it to fight candida. My regular doc (who diagnosed me, ironically) suggests anything by Doug Kaufmann to be helpful, so perhaps check out his book for ideas for treatment?

I know what you mean about cost. It's why I've stuck with some probiotics and nystatin. I was tired of buying supplements.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Do you know if having some raw apple cider vinegar will have similar probiotic effects as fully-fermented stuff?
    According to some sources, raw ACV is the *only* form that should be used when battling candida:

Candida Diet Food List

patski is offline Senior Member
    Bah! I wouldn't touch anything fermented at all right now if I were you. Your candida will most likely react to the yeast and get off on it. Seriously. Peggy from theprimalparent.com wrote about how she cannot eat *anything* fermented/probiotics, as she has severe reactions. Yes, the stuff is *technically* good for you, but what if your body doesn't care for it? Eff it. You must listen to your body.

I would also stay away from Primal Defense probiotics, as they are fermented as well.

Look for St. Francis Oreganum 1:1; this is a powerful type of oil of oregano: you only need a few drops a few times a day. I read it even has painkilling properties similar to morphine. I thought that was complete BS, until I bought the stuff and tried it. I definitely felt high and 'floaty' after taking it, but not extremely so. I could still function. I felt great! LOL

I can't say I've had success with supps/coconut oil/kyolic garlic/yeast eating supps. Hell, I don't even know 120% if I actually *have* candida. I was tested for food allergies and had loads. Removing those problem foods helped a lot. Also, there is absolutely no test that is 100% effective. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Candida is also brought on by adrenal fatigue. It's an endless cycle: if your adrenals are sapped, they cannot help your immune system, they cannot regular blood sugar, they cannot regulate sympathetic (fight or flight), and parasympathetic (rest and digest) nervous systems. Your adrenals also produce powerful immune regulators which is so crucial in inflammatory conditions and auto-immune disease.

Girl, I'm with you. Candida is BULLSHIT. I would find yourself a wicked awesome naturopathic doctor and do what I did: get a food allergy test done. It's expensive, but worth it. If your immune system is stressed out because you're eating the wrong foods, how can it possibly fight candida? *IF* you even have it.

Look at vitamin C and vitamin B5, B6 to help support your adrenals. James on these boards recommended taking licorice root powder and yucca root powder in a 2:1 ratio before meals as adrenal support. I've been doing so for nearly two weeks. My sleep is improving and my abdominal fat "pouch" that I've had since I was 13 (hello, 17 years) is disappearing. My indigestion which I *thought* was candida (it's actually gastritis) is going away too.

There's too much garbage info on the internet. It will make you insane. Eat low carb if you can help it, but seriously: get a food allergy test done and find a naturopathic doc who's paleo/primal friendly and open to you doing your own research and experimenting. Mine is awesome and I email her all the time. I must drive her nuts. LOL

Good luck to you hun. PM me if you have any questions: I've been dealing with this shit for well over a year.

PS. The only probiotic I like is from Genestra called HMF Forte. Pricey, but worth it. Also, l-glutamine is amazing for healing the gut lining. Do not take more than 10,000mg a day.
    Last edited by patski; 08-27-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

vatuck is offline Junior Member
    This subject makes me want to pull my hair out. I was diagnosed with a high overgrowth of Candida a few months ago. I had allergy testing done and I do have food allergies plus the Candida. I was told it was probably due to a hormone imbalance. I am 47 and my hormones have been a mess for 2 years now. I just can't seem to get them balanced and my weight has climbed upward about 15 pounds. I am still working to get the hormones balanced (using bioidenticals). Anyway, there are just too many inconsistencies in the different treatment protocols. I mean hell, who is right and who is wrong? My allergist said nothing fermented and no vinegar of any type, but the diet he put me on had oats, different types of starchy veggies, but no fruit at all. It really has been confusing. I took supplements, but I did fall off the wagon. Now I am trying to get it together again. I actually just started low carb primal today. I guess only time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast