Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired all the time, need some new ideas... page

mizvalentine is offline Junior Member

Tired all the time, need some new ideas...

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, hoping you all can help me hack this problem I'm having.

Since switching to primal (80% a year ago, closer to 100% the past 3 months) I've lost weight and look healthier, but I am just exhausted all the time... I wake up naturally before my alarm, but I never feel totally rested. I searched the threads here and got some advice that helped somewhat...adding some more carbs, taking a multi, but I'm still not up to where I was when I was less primal.

My typical diet is:

- Two hard boiled eggs, coffee, cream for breakfast
    - Big green salad, chicken breast or steak, tomatoes, cukes, ~1oz cheese for lunch, balsamic and olive oil dressing. Sometimes I add one small boiled potato to this if I'm feeling run down.
    - ~1oz cheese for a snack when I get home. 1 vodka with club soda (measured shot)
    - Dinner is usually a fist-sized portion of meat (chicken, pork, beef, often stuffed with mirepoix or sometimes dried fruit) and I fill up the rest of the plate with veg (usually steamed broccoli and fresh tomatoes), and one more vodka and club soda if I feel like it. A couple times a week I'll add a mashed sweet potato with butter. We cook with olive and coconut oil and use butter on our veg.

Only thing I could think is that I could cut out my 2 drinks a night, but I think it helps me relax and it doesn't seem like enough to be a problem...but I concede this may be the one thing that could be cleaned up. This has been a habit for a long time though, and never caused an issue before. I guess I'm reluctant to give up my last vice! Maybe drinks hit you differently when primal?

I'm 36, female, 5'10", 205 (down from 246 a year ago but currently somewhat stalled).

For exercise, I do 3 kettlebell workouts a week and walk 2 miles a day as part of my commute. Also try to get outside and play on the weekends...hiking, camping. I tolerate dairy and white potatoes well; I added boiled white potatoes back into my diet and it helped my fatigue a bit but not completely. I drink ~100oz of water per day and added one packet of iodized salt to my salad a day as I was concerned I wasn't getting enough iodine (we don't eat much shellfish).

Any ideas? Or just wait out the adjustment?

Oh, and I get 7.5-8hrs sleep a night in a dark room... that's an important detail!
    Even when I can sleep more, I wake up at the end of about 8 hrs and still feel tired.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Try to cut out drinks for two weeks and see if it helps. Alcohol is a depressant, and you might be reacting to it. If you need something while cooking, try tea with nuts, coconut milk or oil or a green smoothie (if you like drinks) or tiny pieces of cut up cheese you can pick at or leftover meat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm given your height and weight, it seems like your carbs are ways too low and u might be borderlining ketosis mode.

While the Vodka shots might not have had an impact before your way of eating changed, ketosis and alcohol DOES NOT MIX well re the next day for me personally. I have been LC-ing for 8 days now and I had just one glad of wine and felt so wierd the next day.

I also read it on the ketogenic diet resource that ketogenic dieters tend to have the worst hangovers and feelings the next day. You might have to cut the alcohol out or eat a carb at night after your shots.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I need ten hours of sleep to feel rested and strong. Have you tried sleeping more? Not that life usually lets it happen...that, I think, is where the coffee is helpful!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Thanks guys--I am sure you're right, gonna give the cocktails a rest for a week or two and see what happens.

I don't appear to be in anything but very mild ketosis (according to ketostix) but I've been doubting that since the potatoes seemed to help a little.

Now that I'm thinking about it, on the rare occasions I've had more than 2 on the weekends, the hangovers have been AWFUL since I cleaned up my diet... I thought it was the loss of bodyweight. But maybe its the carbs too. I used to live on hummus and toast up til a year ago so I'm sure my body is still freaking out on some level...

And I would LOVE to have 10 hrs of sleep ha! But life's not going to allow for more than 8 I'm afraid. And honestly, I don't seem to stay asleep past 8 hrs whether I'm tired or not...

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Alcohol = depressant, as someone already mentioned. Maybe cut down to one drink per night instead of two, if you can't handle cutting them out 100%. What is your nighttime routine? I've found that exercising in the evenings tires me out, which is why I don't exercise in the mornings.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Reminds me of a Homer Simpson quote... "Nothing cures depression like a depressant!"
    I forgot alcohol is a depressant. I used to work in nightclubs, so 2 drinks a night to me seems like nothing, but I guess it may be more of a something than I'm giving it credit for. Appreciate the reality check!

My nighttime routine is usually walk home from work (couple miles), work out (every other day), cook dinner, work some more (unfortunately I can't stop this at the moment, I'm freelancing to help us buy a house...hopefully I can cut it out in a few months), then usually fall asleep mid-sentence. SO TIRED in the evenings. This is so bizarre for a lifelong insomniac!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are... tired. It may have something to do with the way you are eating & sugar clearing from your system, it maybe that you are missing a certain nutrient (vit C, D or something else?). Just be patient, and try one thing at a time. If killing alcohol intake doesn't help, try to start with a limited diet of fat, meat and green vegetables and see what you crave and what makes you feel good. Like do you eat seafood at all, and could it be the (sigh) iodine?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast