Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired all the time, need some new ideas... page 2

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ya trust me, I used to be a huge daily wine drinker. It was my way of relaxing after a really stressful day. Ranges from couple of glasses to a bottle during the weekend. Once I changed my WOE and tried that couple of glasses, man I felt like ass the next day. That was the only warning I needed. I still drink but limit to a glass once a week and more on special occasions. I guess I had to figure what I wanted more and health and weight loss trumped my alcohol vice

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    I noticed that if I sleep 8+ hours a night starting at 10 pm, I feel way better than going to sleep at 11pm and getting the same amount of sleep. are you able to nap during the day? Maybe a different pattern of sleeping would be better for you. Mark had a post about sleeping in shifts not too long ago.

mle777 is offline Member
    What kind of vodka are you drinking? I've always been a vodka girl (if I'm going to drink). After I went primal, I had to switch to a gluten-free vodka (corn based, still grains, but better then wheat). If I'm going to drink, I feel so much better if I have a corn based vodka (Tito's) instead of a wheat based vodka.

Oh and have you gotten you vitamin D levels checked? I was really tired for a while and it turns out that my vitamin D levels were pretty low. I started taking a supplement of D3 and feel much better. My endocrinologist said that people who are sensitive to gluten have a harder time absorbing vitamin D, so even with good amounts of sunlight, we often need a supplement as well.

mizvalentine is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
    What kind of vodka are you drinking? I've always been a vodka girl (if I'm going to drink). After I went primal, I had to switch to a gluten-free vodka (corn based, still grains, but better then wheat). If I'm going to drink, I feel so much better if I have a corn based vodka (Tito's) instead of a wheat based vodka.

Oh and have you gotten you vitamin D levels checked? I was really tired for a while and it turns out that my vitamin D levels were pretty low. I started taking a supplement of D3 and feel much better. My endocrinologist said that people who are sensitive to gluten have a harder time absorbing vitamin D, so even with good amounts of sunlight, we often need a supplement as well.
    It is SO funny you say that... I recently started buying Tito's and Boyd and Blair (potato based) and noticed that I feel better the next day having that, compared to when I'm out and drink Absolut. Total accidental discovery, glad it wasn't my imagination.

I haven't had my D levels checked... I do try to spend a good chunk of every weekend out in the sun, is that not enough? I do get a blast of D3 in my multi, it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
    I noticed that if I sleep 8+ hours a night starting at 10 pm, I feel way better than going to sleep at 11pm and getting the same amount of sleep. are you able to nap during the day? Maybe a different pattern of sleeping would be better for you. Mark had a post about sleeping in shifts not too long ago.
    This is an interesting idea as well. I've never been a good napper (takes too long for my brain to shut up), but I've been wanting to try the biphasic sleep thing... I'm looking forward to giving it a go when I'm not working quite so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Ya trust me, I used to be a huge daily wine drinker. It was my way of relaxing after a really stressful day. Ranges from couple of glasses to a bottle during the weekend. Once I changed my WOE and tried that couple of glasses, man I felt like ass the next day. That was the only warning I needed. I still drink but limit to a glass once a week and more on special occasions. I guess I had to figure what I wanted more and health and weight loss trumped my alcohol vice
    Wine was totally my thing too!! I gave it up and it was SO HARD (cheese and wine are probably my two favorite edibles in the world). Actually had some of my first wine in months this weekend and OH BOY did I feel like garbage. But you're right, some things are more important than our vices, no matter how fun they are...

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Something I haven't seen mentioned that as a diabetic I got warned about. Alcohol suppresses or completely shuts down the bodies ability to kick out sugar from the liver temporarily. In a diabetic that can cause a severe low blood sugar in the middle of the night, in a normal person it means your body is unable to rally its normal means of keeping you balanced. It is also a good portion of how a hangover works-dehydrated and low blood sugar. Yes it could definitely make you tired.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I went through a month where I was just exhausted. Skipped working out because it was all I could do to get through every day with my 2 children. And we're talking slept 10hrs/night, napped 2hrs during the day. All my blood work came back normal. Then one day I noticed I have more energy, that week I also finally lost weight after been stalled for a month. It seems that my body was repairing something. Now I have much more energy, sleeping ~8hrs/night and never feeling the urge to nap. I've also noticed that I have minimal cramping and lighter bleeding at TOM. So I wonder if your body is repairing something with your change in nutrition? See if exercising a little less to allow yourself more sleep (ie go to sleep earlier) helps for a while.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Along with low vitamin D--and I was severely deficient while getting plenty of sun in S. CA--anemia, including low ferritin can cause fatigue.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm jumping on the bandwagon with the suggestions about alcohol possibly being a culprit. If I have even one alcoholic drink within a few hours of bed, my sleep quality is noticeably worse.

Here's an interesting article on alcohol and sleep:

Alcohol interferes with the restorative functions of sleep

I've been dealing with chronic fatigue that's gotten significantly worse lately, and this past month i'm changing up my diet to see if my fatigue is at all related to my food. I'm now eating low fat, high carb/high sugar, and the past 3 weeks I've had the most energy I've had all year...the minute-by-minute battle to force my eyes to stay open and to force my body to move in space disappeared. After spending months so exhausted on the couch (after a good night's sleep), where I would skip meals because I didn't have the energy or motivation to get myself off the couch, i'm now walking and hiking 2-3 hours per day in 90-100 degree heat.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 08-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast