Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would the BeachBody workouts be considered Primal? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

Would the BeachBody workouts be considered Primal?

Primal Fuel
    I have been reading the Primal Blueprint and I intened on starting BeachBody's Power 90 here shortly.Would that be considered to much exercise?

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    Many many threads and articles on the P90X all over this site.

This for example: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/p90x-and-crossfit/
    Last edited by Godzilla; 03-31-2010 at 05:28 PM.

smitzma is offline Junior Member
    I'm doing P90X now, on my fourth week. Sometimes I find myself worn out, the exercises are intense. I should probably up my carbs a bit, or maybe eat a piece of fruit before I start each day.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    power 90 is a major step down from p90x. I've done both and I think p90 would be fine. I incorporate them into my workouts from time to time. I probably wouldn't do the program as they prescribe it because it is *very* repetitive. It gets boring (I did it pre-primal and after 4 weeks it was really hard to keep pushing play!) and not really varied enough to be in the spirit of 'primal' IMO. I do a mix of 90, Chalean Extreme and P90X now...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

NicoB is offline Senior Member
    I was looking into P90X and... I'm in to poor a shape (a barrel) for it at the moment.

So I kept looking and found the Power 90 and Power 90 Master, and from what Mark was saying about P90X I think this is a good complement to PB, so I'll be giving it a shot.

Also, sooner or later we should be getting Mark's Primal Workout, and I'll shift to that when it comes out, or I'll stick with the Beachbody plan of Power 90 -> Power 90 Master -> P90X -> P90X+

But as the saying goes: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", and Power 90 is my first step to get off the couch.

selfmyth is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing Power90 for about a month now and while its not the most dynamic program, its effective. One thing I like is how much easier the same workouts feel now, makes me think how out of shape I really was. I've been taking more days off than whats outlined in their schedule though, Mark mentioned how the P90x 6 day workweek was probably too extreme, I think the same applies to Power90. Its possible, just too demanding some weeks for most people. 4 days a week on average but I still find good results from it. When I'm done with it I may go to P90x or Chalean Extreme, or Beachbody Insanity. We'll see!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoB View Post
    I was looking into P90X and... I'm in to poor a shape (a barrel) for it at the moment.

So I kept looking and found the Power 90 and Power 90 Master, and from what Mark was saying about P90X I think this is a good complement to PB, so I'll be giving it a shot.

Also, sooner or later we should be getting Mark's Primal Workout, and I'll shift to that when it comes out, or I'll stick with the Beachbody plan of Power 90 -> Power 90 Master -> P90X -> P90X+

But as the saying goes: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", and Power 90 is my first step to get off the couch.
    Sounds like you have a good plan to transition. P90 was pretty much my first step to get off the couch too I totally know where you're coming from with that.

Quote Originally Posted by selfmyth View Post
    I've been doing Power90 for about a month now and while its not the most dynamic program, its effective. One thing I like is how much easier the same workouts feel now, makes me think how out of shape I really was. I've been taking more days off than whats outlined in their schedule though, Mark mentioned how the P90x 6 day workweek was probably too extreme, I think the same applies to Power90. Its possible, just too demanding some weeks for most people. 4 days a week on average but I still find good results from it. When I'm done with it I may go to P90x or Chalean Extreme, or Beachbody Insanity. We'll see!
    I really like Chalean Extreme...it's a nice break from Tony (don't get me wrong, I love Tony but it's nice to have variety).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    I used to do a lot of intense cardio and weight lifting that included lighter weights and high reps for intensity. However, I switched to heavier weights and lower reps late last year, and it has made all the difference. I don't even do cardio anymore. Neither does my wife. Right now, we are both using the Stronglifts 5x5 program, but we only do it twice a week rather than three times. I have found that if you have a solid base of muscle, watch your diet, then there is no need for the intense workouts except for the sprinting that Mark recommends a few times per week.

We used to do weight lifting three times per week and cardio three times per week, which kept us at the gym almost every day for at least an hour. Now, it's about 45 minutes, twice per week. So much nicer. It is true that less can be more.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I'm currently doing Power 90 (just about to start week 7). I did it last year with great results, but with the SAD it didn't last long. I've modified the program a bit to better fit with PB principles. Now I primarily use the weight routine, and do it 2-3x/week, depending on how I feel. I bagged the cardio portion (nothing wrong with it, but I've done it before) for HiiT once a week. The rest of the time I walk!

I'm really enjoying it this way, and have found it much less draining that when I did it last year.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    I'm also doing the Power 90 right now (a few weeks into it), but more on a "Power 120" schedule -- i.e., not doing 6 days every week (some, but not all). P90X was too intense for where I'm at right now. Overall, I'd say it's a pretty mild program (the Power 90 one), and the "Sweat" set can be done at a pretty low heart rate a day or two (so it's more just moving a lot...) out of the 3 "Sweat" days if you want to go for all 6 days total.

But I also throw in a couple of other things during the week: at least one 4 minute tabata sprint set on the elliptical and a couple of days doing the RKC "Minimum Program" routines as outlined in the Enter the Kettlebell book (the 12 minute swing set and the 5 minute get-up). I usually do these on a Power 90 "Sculpt" day, which is pretty short (I think less than 30 minutes including warm-up and cool-down).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast