Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Enough page 2

  1. #11
    Bosnic's Avatar
    Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    646
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeGilber View Post
    You may want to work at getting your vitamin D3 up and increase your intake
    My vitamin D levels are fine as previously posted.

    Unfortunately upping my vitamin D levels did not alleviate the symptoms of joint/bone pain.

  2. #12
    cavebabymama's Avatar
    cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    132
    I have no scientific, supplemental type input to add here, just anecdotal. I took Accutane like 9 years ago, before I knew anything about anything. It messed me up big time, for me the side effects were emotional (taking birth control just added to it). After taking it, I said in passing a few times that it was like it changed my genes because my skin went from the cystic acne type to completely unable to get any blemishes. Well, like I said, this was well before I knew anything about anything, and eventually my genes or whatever changed because I did start to get blemishes again, maybe like 3-4 years after I stopped taking Accutane. Knowing what I know now I would probably take liver cleansing/support supplements and just be mindful to be nice to my liver for a few years...
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

  3. #13
    Nady's Avatar
    Nady is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,265

  4. #14
    MissJecka's Avatar
    MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    651
    I was on the Accutane regimen for nearly 3 years (Accuate, Sotret, and Amnesteem... each for one year) and it took me about 2 years to get back to normal. (I started at age 16 and stopped my freshman year of college.) The chapped lips, dandruff, dry eyes, and sun sensitivity went away in due time, but it just took a lot of time. The acne came back, too, about one year after stopping. Go figure that would be the first thing to come back!

    So, try some cleansing but also realize it may take time for some of these awful side-effects to go away.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

    >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

    Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

  5. #15
    Emseven's Avatar
    Emseven is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36
    I was on Accutane for one cycle -- so not quite a full year -- and while the negative side effects went away fairly quickly for me, I think it stays in your system for much longer than a couple months. (The good news is that the positive effects lasted ages. I was a poster girl for perfect skin for years.)
    I remember that the doctor had me sign a contract, basically, that I would remain on birth control for something like three years after finishing treatment (because getting pregnant on Accutane would lead to horrible birth defects). Maybe it was a better-safe-than-sorry scenario, but you may have longer than you thought to get it all out of your system.
    Definitely be kind to your liver. I know Accutane is hard on it.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I've been facing a problem for over a year, and I'm committed to resolving it, or at least understanding it. I will briefly explain it.

    A little more than a year ago, I took a drug called Accutane (Wiki) for acne. It's a retinoid, which means it's related to Vitamin A. It was previously a chemotherapy drug, and it's possible side effects mimic Vitamin A toxicity.

    After a month on the drug, I stopped taking it because I began getting side effects: hair loss, joint pain, irritability. I have reason to believe it has lowered my bone density in some areas.

    But the problem is I'm still feeling side effects. My bone density is that of an old granny with osteoporosis. And whenever I eat foods with pre-formed vitamin A (eggs, dairy, liver) my joint/bone pain gets much worse (mostly my spine), and I get hives on my back.

    I find it very strange how dietary vitamin A effects my body. Some theorize it's due to there still being traces of Accutane in me, thus any more vitamin A causes problem. Another theory is that it has altered my epigenome (kind of like genes, that can be altered during a person's lifetime). I really want answers. I've done tons of research, other people are in the same situation I am, and no one has an answer or a fix.

    I'm probably going to keep bumping this thread... I'm really desperate. I want to be able to eat eggs, dairy, liver, and other foods containing Vitamin A. Beta carotene doesn't seem to be a problem, unless consumed in very high doses (carrots, sweet potato).
    you're over-thinking it, get off the pimple drugs and lift weights

  7. #17
    2ndChance's Avatar
    2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    315
    The reason I brought up organic eggs is because, to me, it doesn't sound like your body is necessarily rejecting vitamin A... Given that you have no serious problems with beta-carotene, your body seems like it could be reacting to something else in the eggs and dairy you're eating. Google "recombinant bovine growth hormone," read about IGF-1...

  8. #18
    Gilleh's Avatar
    Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    445
    Give it time.
    I know, this advice sucks..
    But as someone who took accutane I can testify, that shit takes time to get out of your system.
    Slowly, moderately, get to a better shape - take walks, stay out in the sun, go to the beach and swim.
    After a while start with light lifting, dumbbells could be great.
    I ditched dairy completely and lowered my eggs consumption. You should try it.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

  9. #19
    Bosnic's Avatar
    Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    I have no scientific, supplemental type input to add here, just anecdotal. I took Accutane like 9 years ago, before I knew anything about anything. It messed me up big time, for me the side effects were emotional (taking birth control just added to it). After taking it, I said in passing a few times that it was like it changed my genes because my skin went from the cystic acne type to completely unable to get any blemishes. Well, like I said, this was well before I knew anything about anything, and eventually my genes or whatever changed because I did start to get blemishes again, maybe like 3-4 years after I stopped taking Accutane. Knowing what I know now I would probably take liver cleansing/support supplements and just be mindful to be nice to my liver for a few years...
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I was on the Accutane regimen for nearly 3 years (Accuate, Sotret, and Amnesteem... each for one year) and it took me about 2 years to get back to normal. (I started at age 16 and stopped my freshman year of college.) The chapped lips, dandruff, dry eyes, and sun sensitivity went away in due time, but it just took a lot of time. The acne came back, too, about one year after stopping. Go figure that would be the first thing to come back!

    So, try some cleansing but also realize it may take time for some of these awful side-effects to go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emseven View Post
    I was on Accutane for one cycle -- so not quite a full year -- and while the negative side effects went away fairly quickly for me, I think it stays in your system for much longer than a couple months. (The good news is that the positive effects lasted ages. I was a poster girl for perfect skin for years.)
    I remember that the doctor had me sign a contract, basically, that I would remain on birth control for something like three years after finishing treatment (because getting pregnant on Accutane would lead to horrible birth defects). Maybe it was a better-safe-than-sorry scenario, but you may have longer than you thought to get it all out of your system.
    Definitely be kind to your liver. I know Accutane is hard on it.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
    All of your posts are helpful. I agree that supporting my liver/cleansing seems to be one of the many things I need to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Heard about it. Most posts I've seen say it didn't help much. I'm not convinced enough to try it. And if I remember correctly, it's quite an expensive supplement.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    The reason I brought up organic eggs is because, to me, it doesn't sound like your body is necessarily rejecting vitamin A... Given that you have no serious problems with beta-carotene, your body seems like it could be reacting to something else in the eggs and dairy you're eating. Google "recombinant bovine growth hormone," read about IGF-1...
    Thanks for you interest. I should clarify why I'm certain it's vitamin A: I've taken supplements with vitamin A in it that yielded the same problems, all the problem foods contain vitamin A (some fish, liver... foods with added vitamin A). And last but not least, there are hordes of people out there in the same boat I am. Beta-carotene is very very different than Vitamin A. Your body only converts a miniscule amount of beta carotene into actual vitamin A, which is why it is not a problem for me (and others in the same boat).

  10. #20
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    45mg daily of Vitamin K2 + ancillary supplementation ( a/e/d/boron/etc)

    done

    vitamin k osteoporosis japan - Google Scholar
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •