Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What progress do you think I can make? page

PaleoEric is offline Junior Member

What progress do you think I can make?

Shop Now
    Hey guys/gals, thanks for reading. I am 32 years old, 6 feet 3 inches tall, weigh 260lbs, and am about 32 percent body fat. I am looking for your opinion on what a realistic goal for me should be when April of 2013 rolls around (PrimalCon 2013). I believe my healthiest weight would be between 200 and 220lbs, but I am unsure if that is a realistic goal for roughly 7 months of time. Thoughts???

BrodieMN is offline Member
    If you fasted it wouldn't be too hard

I like food way more, so slow and steady is my goal.

Good luck to you.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    200lbs and jacked is realistic if you put the efforts in. Get a qualified training coach though.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    50 lbs in 7 months is totally doable. My husband has managed 30 in 4 and he is only primal when I feed him. The rest of the time he watches his calories, but all bets are off as far as the kind of food he eats. You probably can't be chowing down on primal breads and cakes, snacking on nuts or eating coconut oil by the spoonful, but a diet heavy on meat and veggies with enough fat and spices on the veggies to make them enjoyable should be OK.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Took me about 6 months to lose about 40 lb, starting from about the same place you are at and ending up pretty slender. Everyone is different though.
    I think "ridiculously hot" ought to be your goal, then just see how close you can get.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Luce is offline Senior Member
    I'd focus on something more "picturable" than a number on a scale though body fat is always easy to go with because it gives good indication of progress. For guys relying on a scale could be frustrating because fat goes and muscle comes fast enough if you train wisely -lucky testosterone levels, smart HGH.
    Be fit, do your best and if thinking a number helps go for the higher goal you can think about: you'll make it.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

PaleoEric is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodieMN View Post
    If you fasted it wouldn't be too hard

I like food way more, so slow and steady is my goal.

Good luck to you.
    I agree that fasting would be the quick route, but who has that kind of willpower? Good luck to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    200lbs and jacked is realistic if you put the efforts in. Get a qualified training coach though.
    I am not really interested in splurging for a “qualified training coach”, but I appreciate your input! I want to look back on this experience and know that I'm capable of doing this for me and my loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    50 lbs in 7 months is totally doable. My husband has managed 30 in 4 and he is only primal when I feed him. The rest of the time he watches his calories, but all bets are off as far as the kind of food he eats. You probably can't be chowing down on primal breads and cakes, snacking on nuts or eating coconut oil by the spoonful, but a diet heavy on meat and veggies with enough fat and spices on the veggies to make them enjoyable should be OK.
    Thank you very much for your input. Fortunately, I am not a “breads and cakes” person. As for nuts, I used to snack on almonds exclusively but I have recently switched to macadamias. I also enjoy a spoonful of coconut oil almost daily. Do you really think that those are going to hinder my progress? I understood them both to be beneficial towards fat loss and I feel like I am pretty careful about not overdoing it. I have a small container of macadamias in the fridge and literally eat no more than 15 per day. But if I am overdoing it, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Took me about 6 months to lose about 40 lb, starting from about the same place you are at and ending up pretty slender. Everyone is different though.
    I think "ridiculously hot" ought to be your goal, then just see how close you can get.
    Great job! I do have a small worry of looking “too thin” for my own preference as I lose weight. Are you pleased with the slender look or were you trying for something else? I like the goal you mentioned…that is definitely what I am going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    I'd focus on something more "picturable" than a number on a scale though body fat is always easy to go with because it gives good indication of progress. For guys relying on a scale could be frustrating because fat goes and muscle comes fast enough if you train wisely -lucky testosterone levels, smart HGH.
    Be fit, do your best and if thinking a number helps go for the higher goal you can think about: you'll make it.

Luce
    I plan to visualize what I want to look like…I am just not there yet. I actually boxed up my scale to give it away because I do not want to obsess over weight. My gym has a scale but I only go there once or twice per week. I understand that my weight will not move as fast when I gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Also for contextual reasons, I want to let everyone know that my heaviest weight was 276lbs roughly 4 years ago. I realized, “I have to do something”, and restricted my caloric intake (essentially starved myself) to 1800-2200 calories per day, trying hard to keep it less than 2000. I had no concept of grains being the devil at this point in time yet I focused strongly on chicken and veggies anyway. In about 8 or 9 months, I dropped 60lbs down to 216. I was so proud of myself. Then, I guess because I felt like I was dying of hunger, I spent the next 4 years putting the weight back on mainly with late night carb binges. (Taco Bell looked forward to my monies most nights when I should have been sleeping.)

I used to deny to myself the truth, but now I feel empowered by standing in it. I feel like if I am going to keep the weight off this time, I need to "own" what I am doing. Thanks for letting me share.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoEric View Post
    Thank you very much for your input. Fortunately, I am not a “breads and cakes” person. As for nuts, I used to snack on almonds exclusively but I have recently switched to macadamias. I also enjoy a spoonful of coconut oil almost daily. Do you really think that those are going to hinder my progress? I understood them both to be beneficial towards fat loss and I feel like I am pretty careful about not overdoing it. I have a small container of macadamias in the fridge and literally eat no more than 15 per day. But if I am overdoing it, please let me know!

Also for contextual reasons, I want to let everyone know that my heaviest weight was 276lbs roughly 4 years ago. I realized, “I have to do something”, and restricted my caloric intake (essentially starved myself) to 1800-2200 calories per day, trying hard to keep it less than 2000. I had no concept of grains being the devil at this point in time yet I focused strongly on chicken and veggies anyway. In about 8 or 9 months, I dropped 60lbs down to 216. I was so proud of myself. Then, I guess because I felt like I was dying of hunger, I spent the next 4 years putting the weight back on mainly with late night carb binges. (Taco Bell looked forward to my monies most nights when I should have been sleeping.)
    If you have experience counting calories, then you will have a pretty good idea of what constitutes "a lot" or "a little" of those high calorie "good" foods that can derail a weight loss plan. I'm only 5'3" so I have a lot less wiggle room than you will. And I don't doubt you were miserable eating less than 2000 cal/day on a conventional diet. Carbs make calorie restriction a nightmare for most people and at your height, anything less than 2200 calories, even primal, is probably too low. You should find a primal diet much easier to live with.

Also don't completely discount the idea of fasting. If I can do it, anyone can. Once I got settled into a mostly primal diet, I often had very little appetite until later in the day. I rarely deliberately fast, but I find myself skipping breakfast once or twice a week and breakfast and lunch once a month or so. I also have given up almost all between meal snacking. It all sort of happened by accident - and it feels great.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't "pleased with the slender look" or anything like that - my body is what it is, long limbs, thin-ish bones, etc. I'm never going to look like The Rock without a LOT of illegal crap in my bod. I do have more muscle now than ever before, though - I just don't look jacked and I never will, and that's fine.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Penady is offline Senior Member
    It's doable. I've lost 8 pounds in the last month. At this rate I'll be near my goal weight by Christmas. Just know that weight loss becomes more challenging the closer you get to your goal weight. I'm trying to not get too hung up on the final number on my scale...but I have a pair of jeans hanging in my closet that I WILL wear again. Hopefully I won't have to vacuum seal them onto my ass. For me it's all about the look. If I'm 10 pounds heavier than I want to be but look sexy as hell naked, I'll take it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast