Thread: Yank in the UK page

Grokettie is offline Junior Member

Yank in the UK

Shop Now
    Hi everyone. Just thought I would post a little intro. I was born in Cali, moved to Idaho and then found the love of my life (he found me more like) and relocated to the UK in Dec 2006. I live in Berkshire.

It wasn't that long ago that I discovered PB. I went gluten free to try to deal with my treatment resistant psoriasis. My GP was supportive as she has tried to help with my P. with zero success. Googling my fingers to death had me reading about autoimmune disorders (which psoriasis is) and the link between gluten consumption...so I gave it a go. That was just over 2 weeks ago.

While on Amazon buying Gluten Free Living for Dummies (Im a Dummies book collector) I saw books on Paleo. After much reading I could tell paleo wasn't for me, but then I cam across PB and it sorta clicked. I still eat bread products (gluten free) every couple of days, but for the most part get my carbs from veg and fruit.

My main focus is to get this red, ugly, itchy stuff under control, but another focus of mine is weight loss. I have struggled with severe morbid obesity since I was 6 months old. In fact my BMI now is in the 60s's, the same as it was when I was 3 years old. I have a long fight ahead of me, but I am finding gluten free products when I MUST have bread stuffs + mostly living primal + calorie counting is where it is at. In the past two weeks I have lost over 10lbs.

I was stuck at 480lbs for over the past year. yo yoing and dealing with binge eating disorder, but now that I have 100% eliminated wheat from my diet and go very easy on man made things, they weight is coming off, I am not hungry and my eating disorder seems like a different life.

Thanks for having me here
    Last edited by Grokettie; 08-26-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good.

Maybe a little fish oil would also help, and I'd also get your vitamin D levels tested. That seems to be important in auto-immune conditions.

You could ask your GP. Or I found that the Path lab at the City Hospital in Birmingham does it as a commercial sideline cheap enough:

Vitamin D Blood Spot Test to the Public Background Information

You probably want to be 100 nmol/L or better. (N.B. in the U.S. they use a different unit ng/dcl, IIRC, so if reading something like Loren Cordain's Paleo Answer you have to bear the conversion factor in mind.)

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokettie View Post
    I live in Berkshire.
    Welcome to the forum.

I've got rellies in Woodley. And, as a yoof, I was at the Army Apprentice College (now defunct) ar Arborfield.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Grokettie is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the welcome guys It's a bit quiet around these parts!