Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Cookware page

JohnOTD is offline Member

Primal Cookware

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What is everyone's favorite type of pan/skillet to use?

stainless steel, cast iron, teflon coated, other?
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Stainless steel, for sure. Easy to clean, but not so slippery that the food goes flying everywhere when you're swishing the oil around.

beckinwolf is offline Member
    I switch back and forth between cast iron, stainless steel, and regular teflon pan. I know teflon is bad, but its just so darned easy. From what I've read, Teflon is fine as long as you get a good quality pan and don't burn everything. The high heat is what makes Teflon so toxic. That and scratching it, so use plastic or wood spatulas. Cast iron is a tough one. Some of them are ok, but sometimes I can't stand the smell of the iron/metal smell that they have. And Stainless Steel is ok, and it gives you a good excuse to use LOTS of fat!!
    Carpe Diem!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member
    Question about stainless steel. We just got one and everything I have cooked in it in oil has been awesome and not stuck. But bacon stuck. I thought there would be enough fat oozing out but maybe not? Also cooked eggs in it in lots of butter but they stuck too. Am I missing a trick?
    Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member
    Depends on what I'm cooking. Cast iron for most things. Porcelainized (?) cast iron (Le Creuset style) for things that end up saucy. One non-stick pan in good condition for some egg and some fish dishes.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    FNW, good point. The protein parts of bacon do tend to stick to stainless steel even when coated with butter. My solution is to flip the bacon frequently and not to cook it too long.

EDIT: As for the eggs, I cook them even less, just long enough for the whites to solidify. But I like the crunchified egg white residue that results. I scrape it off the skillet with my metal spatula to add texture to the egg dish.
    Last edited by Timothy; 03-31-2010 at 05:10 PM.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    DH is a chef... we use what he wants... Which is Caphalon cookwear... Will probably get some ceramic at some point... I like the looks of le creuset, and DH likes staub... but I just read an article about lead in the glaze...suggesting to ONLY use brands MFG'd in US, that states LEAD FREE... So... now I don't know..

Cook your bacon in the oven.. on a cookie sheet... FAST, EASY, CAN COOK TONS, and you don't end up with grease splatters everywhere.

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    I have all of the above, as well... depends on what I am cooking....
    I DO want to move away from plastics ( tupperware, etc.) for storage and go back to glass... bought a few pyrex bowls with lids for leftovers/ lunches.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    Cook your bacon in the oven.. on a cookie sheet... FAST, EASY, CAN COOK TONS, and you don't end up with grease splatters everywhere.
    Yeah but you don't always want to wait for the oven to preheat and you don't always want to cook TONS at a time. For instance, in the mornings, my husband throws a few slices in a pan to cook for his breakfast, then cooks some eggs in the grease. Takes just a few minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by fit4lifegal View Post
    I DO want to move away from plastics ( tupperware, etc.) for storage and go back to glass... bought a few pyrex bowls with lids for leftovers/ lunches.
    I want to do that too!
    Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

dsantana is offline Senior Member
    I use cast iron almost exclusively. I have inherited cast irons that go back to my great grandmother. They have been so well used, that even an egg won't stick to them. At this point I don't think I could find anything better

I have one steel pot for boiling, but even most of my soups are made in a cast iron dutch oven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast