Thread: What would be the fundamentals behind the ratio of 1:1 (omega-3, omega-6)? page

La Carnera is offline Member

What would be the fundamentals behind the ratio of 1:1 (omega-3, omega-6)?

Primal Fuel
    In biochemical and/or evolutionary terms, why exactly do our bodies prefer (or need) these two essential fatty acids in equal amounts?

I would appreciate any regards on this subject (links, articles, etc.), please.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    I think a 1:1 ratio would be very hard to achieve and probably not historically common either. Except perhaps for people who fished for every meal, that ratio seems unlikely. Grass fed ruminant is still well below 1:1 (O3:O6)

I don't have references, just seems implausible.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    With some fish oil pills it's very easy to get to a 1:1 ratio.
    As it's very easy to get down to a 2:1 to 3:1 ratio without supplements
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, one serving of mackerel has something like a 21:1 O3:06 ratio. With that in mind (and Mike H, I've seen lab analysis of grass-fed beef that does show a 1:1 ratio), the avoidance of vegetable oils and too many nuts (sounds familiar) could easily yield at least a 1:1 ratio. Doesn't seem that hard to do?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    That would change things. I recently read this of beef's ratios:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://understandnutrition.com/2012/05/30/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef/
    The average omega-6 to omega-3 ratio for grass-fed beef is 2.20, while the average omega-6 to omega-3 ratio for grain-fed beef is 7.66.

I don't know if that is right, or the 1:1 is more likely.

I remember a mention on the Bulletproof Exec podcast of Dave (I think) actually having his bodily levels tested which came out at 1.5:1 (6:3) which apparently was the lowest the tester had seen. I can't remember which episode that was.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting... what I saw was this: Fatty Acid Analysis which actually shows a .89:1 ratio of 06:03. I'm sure it differs from breed to breed, pasture to pasture kinda thing. I'm also wondering even if you took in a 1:1 ratio, if your body wouldn't still be off, such as your example of Dave (not that i know what his diet was or anything).

I think anywhere from 1:1 to 1:3 or maybe even 1:4 is good, diet-wise.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to see some real science showing that 1:1 is better than 1:4 or even 1:8 in real health outcome terms. My understanding is that SAD gets you around 1:20 or so. Not sure if evidence exists or not.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I'd love to see some real science showing that 1:1 is better than 1:4 or even 1:8 in real health outcome terms. My understanding is that SAD gets you around 1:20 or so. Not sure if evidence exists or not.
    The studies are all over the map, from what I can tell. Which doesn't really surprise me, since Grok was eating a lot of rancid fats anyway, so I rather doubt O3/O6 ratios where anywhere near the top of the priority list.

LockeGilber is offline Junior Member
    That would change things

La Carnera is offline Member
    Thanks very much, all of you!

Still trying to understand the ratio (1:1 or 1:8) better, though...