Thread: Local Irish bacon or should I stick with pork joint? page

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member

Local Irish bacon or should I stick with pork joint?

Hi,

Bacon is quite common over here and I recently picked up this one:

It has 96% pork, which is the highest I've ever seen on bacon in my local store. How accurate is this and is there any regulation about determining the pork content? Sometimes reading the paleo/primal blogs for us Europeans can be a bit confusing as they are usually written from an American point of view, but then I see things like this in an ordinary small corner shop in a small village and I think: this is Primal Paradise if you know where to look. (I'm not really bothered about the preservatives, and yes, a lot of people are becoming very obese here too, very sad to see)

Having said that, I don't eat bacon that often and usually just buy a pork joint and roast it in the oven. I've been primal for a few months now and it is working miracles, but I am somehow thinking cycling different types of meat/fish during the week is probably a good thing (and have certain days with less than 100g or minimal protein). Or would you say just eat pork/bacon every day? I've been wondering recently about whether there is any good science behind varying protein intake.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I expect you'll find purists here will warn you about the Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite. As you're not eating it that often I personally wouldn't worry bout it. I'm off bacon until I've lost more weight. Once I am down to the look I want and can up my calories, bacon will definitely be back on the menu.

I try and mix up the foods I do eat a it for two reasons. One is that I want some variation. The second is that I believe our ancestors had to have variety due to seasonal plants and availability of game. I am sure that our bodies are adapted to take in a large selection of different foods.

That said, I have eggs just about every day at present as they seem to stick with me for quite a while.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks good to me. Not sugar cured. That package is $3.15 for about 12 oz. It would cost me about $6.50 in southern california. I wouldn't eat it every day, but I certainly would eat it.