Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egg Lovers Beware! page

swindell is offline Junior Member

Egg Lovers Beware!

Primal Fuel
    I know this has already been said in here before most likely, but since going primal, eggs have been a big staple in my diet. I have been eating consistently 3-4 eggs every morning for breakfast and after about 6 weeks I have developed an intolerance that leaves me with intense pain and discomfort like a small knife slowly traveling through my digestive system accompanied with nausea. No hives or anything other than those three things mentioned. It took me a few days to pinpoint it, but its definitely the eggs and I only get it when eating them. Sad..sad day as I depended on them as a very cheap nutritious source of protein and now I have to give them up...So for those that love eating eggs every day, do so with caution so you don't end up in my seat.

-Sam
    Last edited by swindell; 08-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.

NinjaNina is offline Junior Member
    Oh dear
    thanks for the warning and hope it resolves itself soon so you can enjoy a few eggs again.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This is, unfortunately, not all that uncommon around here. The vast majority of people seem to enjoy eggs as frequently as they wish, but a subset seem to develop intolerance. Eggs are high in lectins so perhaps they promote gut permeability for some people?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    That's really unfortunate. You may have to switch over to a poliquin-esque meat and nuts breakfast.

Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    I recently expereienced this I have always loved eggs, and they are an ideal breakfast food, Primal or otherwise. Just this past year I started experiencing stomach pains and digestive trouble after eating them. Duck eggs are much worse than chicken eggs.

I can have them every now and then, if I eat them with lots of other things, but this makes me SO sad! Even organic free-roam eggs are much cheaper than meat for breakfast! And so easy to make! Ah well, we must listen to our bodies...

phigment is offline Senior Member
    maybe it's not the egg but what they feed the chicken. I know most grocery store eggs feed there chickens soy and corn and a lot of others supplement there food with these. I know I feel icky with these type but chickens that get no soy, corn, or coconut are okay but really expensive.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    maybe it's not the egg but what they feed the chicken. I know most grocery store eggs feed there chickens soy and corn and a lot of others supplement there food with these. I know I feel icky with these type but chickens that get no soy, corn, or coconut are okay but really expensive.
    i've wondered this too. pastured eggs are still a cheap source of protein and so worth it imho.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    One thing I have considered (for when I am more firmly primal) is making eggs a seasonal item. Although the season is long due to different kinds of birds, eggs definitely would not have been a late fall or winter food.

Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    I'm sure that's true for some people...I had blood tests done, and for me at least it's the egg itself. I stay away from corn and soy, but if I do have them I don't react to them at all.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    One thing I have considered (for when I am more firmly primal) is making eggs a seasonal item. Although the season is long due to different kinds of birds, eggs definitely would not have been a late fall or winter food.
    chickens likely originate from a climate that would have allowed year-round laying of eggs, although they were initially domesticated for fighting not food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast