Thread: Gout, the Primal Lifestyle, and Working Out Barefoot page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Gout, the Primal Lifestyle, and Working Out Barefoot

I've posted a couple threads here about the link between gout and the Primal-lifestyle. I was pretty angry because this supposed gout had gotten worse since the change. My foot's been throbbing for more than a month now, and that's an unusually long gout attack. To tell you the truth, if this pain had persisted without any answers as to why, I may have gone off primal entirely.

Well, I went to the podiatrist today (no health insurance so I'm $150 more poor now) and it turns out this isn't gout, and I haven't had a gout attack in ages, I had in fact broken my foot - a Lisfranc fracture and extensor digitorum brevis myositis. How did this happen? It likely happened while deadlifting 585 LBS barefoot as the pain began a day or two later.

Luckily for my wallet surgery isn't the best option, although surgery would have involved a quicker recovery time. This is more of a soft-tissue injury, 2 injuries actually, and will take longer to heal than a traditional, straight-up broken bone. I have 4-6 weeks of NSAID's, rest, ace bandages, and a cam walker ahead of me. I'm still going to go to the gym, but no squats or deadlifts in the near future.

So...be careful handling HEAVY loads without foot/ankle support!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Also, what's amazing (amazingly stupid?) is that I've deadlifted 3x since breaking my foot and each time I pulled more than 500 LBS.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    why do you pull 500+ pounds... Seriously now... Feels like overdoing it.

I'm a powerlifter and my goal's to be large, not thin. I addressed this in another thread, about how a lot of people here aspire to have that Mark Sisson look, which is fine, it's just not for me. My goal's to be large and powerful yet still athletic. I feel that the primal lifestyle can be used in a variety of ways and everyone's different.

My personal record on the deadlift is just shy of 700 LBS, without any type of equipment (belt, gloves, straps, wraps, etc).