Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please give me a rundown of Ketosis schedule/milestones.... page

Please give me a rundown of Ketosis schedule/milestones....

Primal Fuel
    Ketosis
    The idea is I will then be burning fat for fuel, correct?

Let's say I manage to eliminate all carbs for some period of time.

1) About how many days will it to reach ketosis?
    2) How many days will I feel sick, weak, tired, etc until the full crossover takes place?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    1. It depends
    2. It depends

You will never eliminate "all glucose". Even meat and eggs have trace amounts. But, for the sake of argument lets say you go carnivore. Range of getting into ketosis is about 3-12 days. How good or bad you feel is in part if you consume enough fat, sodium, and water during the switch and how fat adapted you were prior to it. Good luck

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    all the best and keep us posted on how you are doing !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

peril is offline Senior Member
    The faster you eliminate carbs, the more likely you are to experience ill-feeling. I changed one meal at a time over a period of time until I was much lower carb. No ill effects at all. No quick rush to ketosis though. What's the hurry?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Metric is offline Senior Member
    It really does depend. I'm an all out kind of person. I didn't get carb flu at all (which was very surprising)... but I have no idea how long it took me to get into ketosis. I simply concentrated on choosing good quality foods and let the rest take it's course.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    1. It depends
    2. It depends

You will never eliminate "all glucose". Even meat and eggs have trace amounts. But, for the sake of argument lets say you go carnivore. Range of getting into ketosis is about 3-12 days. How good or bad you feel is in part if you consume enough fat, sodium, and water during the switch and how fat adapted you were prior to it. Good luck
    Also depends on how large a part of your pre-ketosis diet is carb/sugar heavy. For me, I only ate a few "healthy whole grains" like brown rice and oatmeal because I thought I should. So, I never had carb flu at all. Someone who lives on pasta and sweets might have a much more difficult transition.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Before Primal, I ate a VERY junk-heavy diet. It took me about 3 days to get into ketosis. I switched to low-carb primal fairly cold, and never had carb flu. But I kept my fluid and salt intake high.

I did have the battle of all battles with my cravings the first few weeks, though. I just stuffed myself with meat whenever my body demanded doritos, and white-knuckled through it.

So basically, N=1, and good luck!

3 days? How did you know you were in Ketosis??

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can get test strips from the drug store. There is also a blood meter but I doubt it is widely available. Or necessary.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It feels great once u get past the several days of adjustment. I feel so like awesome right now! . Calm, Focused, haven't eaten and it is getting closer to noon here....I really feel like I can fly. lol

For me, It took about 4 days to start feeling great. I had major brain fogs issues but really did not experience any other symptoms of adjustment. I was almost going to give up but on the 5 day, I just woke up not need my morning coffee to wake me up. I was UP! I think it was Paleobird who said it is like Legal Speed. Anyway I am on Day 8 I believe and it really feels good now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast