Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please give me a rundown of Ketosis schedule/milestones.... page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Here are my own personal milestones.

- The first time I went low carb it took me 5 weeks to adapt.
    - I made a common mistake, which was to not add enough sodium (salt) to my food.
    - I documented my last week of the adaptation process during that time, including the day I thought I was going to die. It's in reverse order: Farewell to Spring: low carb diet diary

As I got healthier, I ate more healthy carbs from roots and tubers and some dried fruits, mostly dates. Probably in the range of 80-130g carbs a day.

I've decided to try very low carb one more time, see what happens. My hope is to start the weight loss once more. I feel like being higher carb over the last few months eroded my ability to fast.

- This second time around has taken more time than I expected and been more painful than I expected, too, but it seems it took 2 weeks or so.
    - My net carbs have been between around 10g to about 50g. That's the net: the sugars, not the fiber or any alcohol. If you add the fiber and alcohol, the max has been 78g.
    - I went through about a week and a half of having a slight headache on the right side of my head.
    - I have felt weak in the knees.
    - I had a few bouts of Orthostatic Hypotension.
    - I went through several days of running to the bathroom frequently.
    - I tried to chug salt and electrolytes to feel better.
    - I made some bone broth this weekend. That actually seemed to make me feel much better.

I'm suddenly feeling so much better just today. I think I made it to the other side.

Being so low carb is kind of a pain in the butt because of how touchy I get in regards to sodium.

I've really struggled this past week tracking my calories and seeing them be so darn high. Aiming for 1500 and hitting 1900 and above and still feeling hungry. I haven't gained any inches or weight, so I think it's okay, and now that I'm feeling so much better, I think I will be able to exercise at my full capacity again. Maybe even fast.

Long story sort: Two weeks to readjust to low carb even with 1 year of relatively low carb Primal experience. Please note that I am an individual with some fairly serious carbohydrate intolerance and an endurance athlete of sorts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I started to try to watch protein this week. It would seem that I have a much harder time limiting protein than carbs. I tried to reach for more fat, but those items drove up my protein and/or my calories also. So I had even more calories than I normally do. As a result, I was not successful at keeping protein low nor calories low. I was still probably in a maintenance range though. I did have a headache from hell yesterday. That could have been from any number of things though.

Now today, my protein is decent, but fat is low and carbs are too high for ketosis. I made the mistake of buying two really large BEAUTIFUL cantaloupe at the Dutch market this morning. It seemed like I could just not get enough to eat today once I opened my window at about 11:30. But I am pretty full at the moment, and if I skip supper, my calories will be okay and help average out yesterdays. Fat still too low though.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Again, how do you KNOW you're in ketosis?
    Can someone give me a link explaining what ketosis actually is?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can test for ketones in your urine using test strips. They change color depending on how much ketones are spilling into your urine.

Why don't you just use google and look for links yourself?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

KV8R is offline Senior Member

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever had smelly urine after eating asparagus ???? Well I reckon that I am in ketosis when my urine smells really sweet. Some say it smells metallic, but I notice a very sweet smell.
    Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    I used ketostix for the packet duration, and now I just do the sniff test. And NO I do not mean head down the toilet sniff test - you can pretty much smell it in the next room !!!!!!!
    so between the smell and the losing of weight I suspect I am in Ketosis.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123