Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please give me a rundown of Ketosis schedule/milestones.... page 2

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also depends on how large a part of your pre-ketosis diet is carb/sugar heavy. For me, I only ate a few "healthy whole grains" like brown rice and oatmeal because I thought I should. So, I never had carb flu at all. Someone who lives on pasta and sweets might have a much more difficult transition.
    I've started to wonder the same basic thing the OP asked. I just started almost 2 weeks ago and so far feel pretty good. I cut my carbs from ~200/day and now I can barely seem to get 80. I am quite active with group training at my gym several times a week, mountain biking and road riding and while I've had a few periods of dizziness so far, I seem to be fine. I COULD tell some low energy during a hard workout yesterday, but then again, it was a HARD workout...

My diet wasn't bad before I started though, "healthy" grain sources were steel-cut oats, brown rice, and Ezekial bread and also consumed lots of non-fat dairy. No junk food and very little processed food at all. Hoping I can miss the carb-flu bullet, but we shall see.

I do wonder if I am getting enough carbs and salt, as active as I am. I feel pretty good though and am trying to remember to add salt where I didn't before.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-27-2012 at 09:26 AM.

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    So you need to cut out all dairy also? Does dairy have carbs? I've never checked.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    So you need to cut out all dairy also? Does dairy have carbs? I've never checked.
    Milk has a lot of sugar, protein - it creates a heavy insulin spike.
    ad astra per aspera

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Why are you trying to cut out all carbs? Are you not wanting to just eat low carb following the Primal Blue Print?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    Keto is high fat, low carb(5-10%), low protein (~20%), so yes, pretty much all sources of carbs except veggies have to be removed. It took me about a week of eating 20-40g carbs a day to finally get into ketosis.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Milk has a lot of sugar, protein - it creates a heavy insulin spike.
    I find that staying with the higher fat content dairy options works well for staying in ketosis for me so you may not have to cut dairy entirely. I stick to butter, cream, cream cheese, mascarpone, brie, etc. but I don't drink straight up milk anymore.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I find that staying with the higher fat content dairy options works well for staying in ketosis for me so you may not have to cut dairy entirely. I stick to butter, cream, cream cheese, mascarpone, brie, etc. but I don't drink straight up milk anymore.
    heavy whipping cream FTW
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    heavy whipping cream FTW
    Oh yeah. I get mine raw.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, trying to be strict paleo, in the sense of no dairy products, and ketogenic gives you two balls to juggle. You could do it: scramble your eggs with duck fat, down a lot of coconut products, and so on. But cream is a good option.

Of course, if you were a paleolithic hunter-gatherer, you could load up on brains, bone-marrow, lumps of fat from round the kidneys of game animals and suchlike. Those foods aren't so easily available or convenient these days.

Just where ancient humans were metabolically is an interesting question. They had access to fats; they can't always have had access to much carbohydrate. But I don't suppose they moderated their protein when they had it.

Paleobird Guest
    Mascarpone cheese on Free the Animal Fat Bread is also an awesome option. And lots of avocados.

And I'm sure they pigged out on the protein when they had it and didn't worry about it knocking them out of ketosis. But then there would be a famine later that year and they would get all the ketosis in the world while fasting.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-28-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast