Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Margarine Mayhem in My House! page 7

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Does your daughter do ok eating fruits? If so, what's your stradegy?
    Short answer - no, with the exception of fresh strawberries.

Longer answer: my strategy is a VitaMix, baby! She will get almost any fruit down if we freeze it in chunks and throw it frozen into the VitaMix (with a little liquid of some type to goose it with) and hit HI. It turns into all-fruit soft-serve, and she will eat 2 twelve-ounce glasses of this stuff. We sometimes add a glug of local unfiltered honey. Last night's batch was strawberries, apple, melon (some kind of heirloom canteloupe), bananas, and mandarine oranges in juice as the goose. The stuff turned pastel salmon pink and I had to make two batches to feed everybody.

If you try this, my big tip: do not VitaMix whole, peeled oranges. Too much pulp and tastes really off. Even my fruit-crazy oldest wouldn't drink the smoothies with orange. This ain't Primal, but I would first juice the oranges and then add the juice as the goose.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like my place. The only fruit that gets eaten plain would be a banana. Otherwise he only likes smoothies. Even then, he only likes certain 'flavors'. I blend in a couple tbsp. of coconut oil into them with some vanilla and honey and that usually makes any smoothie drinkable for him.
    Have you tried any of the suggestions yet for the margarine replacement?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Have you tried any of the suggestions yet for the margarine replacement?
    I haven't yet because I ended up driving every day since I posted. Most of that stuff is over for the moment, so I am starting on my replacement list today. I will post here how each one worked out, as they happen. Thanks to all of you!!

And if any of you want to post further, please do! I subscribe to all my threads, so I don't lose touch with them.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    You know, if she likes salty, sour toppings with a zing, try making a chimichurri sauce. It's flat-parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes - put into a processor and blend til saucy. Should be saucier more than chunky. It's addictive and delicious. It works as a marinade but I keep some in the fridge (thank you parsley overload at farmer's market) to use on top of veggies, meat etc.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried mushed avocado? Before I went breadless, I thought that mushed avocado with a bit of salt was tastier than margarine and butter. My daughter who was about 4 or so at the time thought green color was the cool part. Now she prefers butter though.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Any update? Have success with anything, I'm looking for solutions for myself. I have trouble with most vegetables and am trying to find ways past them so I can include more in my diet.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I just noticed that this is an old thread after reading the whole thing, doh. My suggestion was going to be putting olive oil into an ice cube tray and in the fridge, to make olive oil "pats". Good olive oil turns solid (and cloudy yellow, much like margarine) in the fridge, so maybe it would be a good sub? Personally I would dash a little salt in with it too though.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567