Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Margarine Mayhem in My House! page 6

campanella is offline Senior Member
    What about a soft boiled egg, you can leave it in the egg white as a little cup, cut the vegetables into strips and have them dip them in the runny yolk.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songsparrow View Post
    Since the children are used to the taste of the margarine but not the ghee, could you blend the two and gradually transition? Begin with mostly margarine with a little ghee, and over time increase the proportion of the ghee gradually.
    Fantastic! This is why I posted here - sometimes you can get a little brain-dead and just need this kind of input to get you going again. This idea is so simple... I just couldn't think of it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    My oldest is autistic and has aversions to MANY foods because of either texture, smell or taste. And can also activate his gag reflex on demand.
    I can only get him to eat 'out of his ordinary' vegetables if they have butter and salt and he has to see me put it on it.
    I recently switched to coconut oil (steam processed/no flavor) and smoked sea salt or himalayan salt and it goes over quite well. He does tend to like intense salt and sweet flavors.
    (Squeal of delight!!!) You know what I am talking about!! Mine just has to have that salty/vinegary/whatever thing that puts MORE ZING into her mouth, too!! AND SHE NEEDS TO S-E-E- IT!! You could have the most delicious grilled steak in the world, her favorite thing to eat ever, and she would still put out a homestyle version of an APB in search of steak sauce or cocktail sauce to dump on top.

I have managed to control her sauce portions with little ramekins and small personal cream pitchers and stuff like that so she can SEE how much she is using, because she will honestly soak her food if she doesn't have something that controls her portions of condiments. I have literally caught this kid red-handed sucking the contents of a ketchup bottle out and/or pouring herself a BOWL of ketchup to eat, spoon and all. We STILL use non-flouride, clean-ingredient toddler toothpaste because minty zing had her sucking the toothpaste out of the tube, as well.

Before we got 7 years of intense therapy into her, this kid used to eat everything with cracked pepper AND hot sauce on it - as a 3 year-old. Can you imagine that?? She saw that on her father's plate, stuck her hand into his food, tasted her fingers, and just lit up. I can accurately gauge how well balanced she is sensory-wise by paying attention to what kind and how much of the saucy thing she is craving.

re the smoked salt - I am so totally going to Trader Joe's!! (The nearest one is 3 hours away.) Thank You!!

Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    I did not read through every page of comments, but I add 1/4-1/2c. of coconut oil to my ghee to add volume. It's slightly nutty, and the butter flavor is virtually nonexistent.
    And another great option goes into my notebook! Thank you!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Not to interrupt your road trip, but we get ours from here: Chef Milton Gourmet Products they have nuts and other stuff, but look under gourmet salts. We actually buy his stuff at the farmers market, but I doubt you'd be willing to make that drive...
    Last edited by JennGlob; 08-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Is the Earth Balance going to kill them, no, in my opinion. They even make it soy-free. We still use that in our house for my kiddos---both allergic to dairy and I avoid it. Why fight the fight at all would be my answer!
    It is NOT fit for human consumption. I NEVER got the whole margarine thing even as a kid. It just intuitively seemed wrong to me.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    (Squeal of delight!!!) You know what I am talking about!! Mine just has to have that salty/vinegary/whatever thing that puts MORE ZING into her mouth, too!! AND SHE NEEDS TO S-E-E- IT!! You could have the most delicious grilled steak in the world, her favorite thing to eat ever, and she would still put out a homestyle version of an APB in search of steak sauce or cocktail sauce to dump on top.

I have managed to control her sauce portions with little ramekins and small personal cream pitchers and stuff like that so she can SEE how much she is using, because she will honestly soak her food if she doesn't have something that controls her portions of condiments. I have literally caught this kid red-handed sucking the contents of a ketchup bottle out and/or pouring herself a BOWL of ketchup to eat, spoon and all. We STILL use non-flouride, clean-ingredient toddler toothpaste because minty zing had her sucking the toothpaste out of the tube, as well.

Before we got 7 years of intense therapy into her, this kid used to eat everything with cracked pepper AND hot sauce on it - as a 3 year-old. Can you imagine that?? She saw that on her father's plate, stuck her hand into his food, tasted her fingers, and just lit up. I can accurately gauge how well balanced she is sensory-wise by paying attention to what kind and how much of the saucy thing she is craving.

re the smoked salt - I am so totally going to Trader Joe's!! (The nearest one is 3 hours away.) Thank You!!
    (HeHeHe!) I hear ya on the Ketchup! Between my son and my husband, you'd swear they think it a vegetable on the plate. I did get my son to eat garlic even though he wasn't to keen on the smell of it. As long as it's in an asian chicken recipe that I make, he loves it. Does your daughter do ok eating fruits? If so, what's your stradegy?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I have been dipping all my vegetables lately (b/c I can't cook right now, so they are raw): baba ganoush, hummus, guacamole, salsa, yogurt, tapenade. Today I got a jar of blended tomato and tuna--meant for putting on crostini of course.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    What about a soft boiled egg, you can leave it in the egg white as a little cup, cut the vegetables into strips and have them dip them in the runny yolk.
    Poached eggs work great for this kind of thing! Back when I used to eat wheat, a common dinner was to boil pasta and put a poached egg and herbs on top. When you break the yolk and scramble up the soft egg into the pasta, it's just like a sauce. This would work great for veggies, I bet!

Also, you could make an aioli out of egg yolks, oil of choice, and seasonings. It makes a great dip for veggies and topping for burgers, chicken, steak, etc. - Primal Rampage: Aioli
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Poached egg over broccoli or asparagus is DIVINE.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast