Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Margarine Mayhem in My House! page 5

patski is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    cori, that's a fate I could certainly handle!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

songsparrow is offline Junior Member
    Since the children are used to the taste of the margarine but not the ghee, could you blend the two and gradually transition? Begin with mostly margarine with a little ghee, and over time increase the proportion of the ghee gradually.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    "Special-needs kids do not and are not like everyone else. And you can very easily cause food aversions or worse if you handle stuff like this badly.

In a perfect world, peas would stand by themselves - her world isn't perfect, though. She has too damn much to deal with, and I am not going to fight her on this. She will get her toppers, just adjusted for better health results."

Amen, Sister!!

My oldest is autistic and has aversions to MANY foods because of either texture, smell or taste. And can also activate his gag reflex on demand.
    I can only get him to eat 'out of his ordinary' vegetables if they have butter and salt and he has to see me put it on it.
    I recently switched to coconut oil (steam processed/no flavor) and smoked sea salt or himalayan salt and it goes over quite well. He does tend to like intense salt and sweet flavors. I've been trying to convert him to gluten-free and dairy-free for a long time but he is quite addicted to both.
    I've used nutritional yeast flakes to make a [I]cheez[I] sauce before and that worked fairly well too. I know, not primal, but still...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Smoked sea salt!!??? What??!! Oh my goodness I must find that!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Mountain Rose Herbs is were I get mine (by the pound!). It makes vetetables taste like they're off the grill. MMmmmmmm!

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I did not read through every page of comments, but I add 1/4-1/2c. of coconut oil to my ghee to add volume. It's slightly nutty, and the butter flavor is virtually nonexistent. If you have a gourmet grocer nearby, flavored EVOO and balsamics are totally awesome on everything. And a chopped up avocado with lots of salt and pepper is always nummy.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    This is a fantastic opportunity for the OP to break their children's poor eating habits and embrace real food.
    You must not ever deal with kids. A kid that eats primal with the exception of some margarine is doing pretty well eating real food. It's not like she is putting margarine on white buns that wrap cornsyrup filled hot dogs.

I'd just keep trying new things, but have the margarine as a back up. I am a big fan of butter and cheese, but have recently found I like aioli a bunch too. I saw a bunch of people posted recipes- you can really play around with what you add to it.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    You must not ever deal with kids. A kid that eats primal with the exception of some margarine is doing pretty well eating real food. It's not like she is putting margarine on white buns that wrap cornsyrup filled hot dogs.

I'd just keep trying new things, but have the margarine as a back up. I am a big fan of butter and cheese, but have recently found I like aioli a bunch too. I saw a bunch of people posted recipes- you can really play around with what you add to it.

My concern with this would be the transfats. I think they are quite dangerous even in very small amounts, right? Isn't margarine just purified hydrogenated oils?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Smoked sea salt!!??? What??!! Oh my goodness I must find that!
    They have it at Trader Joe's

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    My concern with this would be the transfats. I think they are quite dangerous even in very small amounts, right? Isn't margarine just purified hydrogenated oils?
    Most margarine is made without trans fats nowadays (or course, they use the alternate frankenfood of 'inter-ester-fied fats' instead)....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast