Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Margarine Mayhem in My House! page 4

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    You can easily make homemade mayonnaise, and if you vary the kind of oil you use, you have different flavors. I've made mayo with avocado oil, walnut oil, MCT oil, and a combination of mostly EVOO plus a little coconut oil. Each had a distinct flavor--and you can stir in various spices for even more flavor variety. I add a little vinegar, paprika, and salt and pepper to mayo to make a good consistency for salad dressing. If you don't want it tart, add a little coconut or almond milk.
    Would you send your easiest recipe version of mayo? This sounds promising! Do you make a fresh batch each time you use it, or does it keep? Thanks!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a huge fan of homemade mayonnaises... from different meat fats, and extra virgin olive oil mixed with macadamia oil to make the olive flavor more subtle.

This is where I started...
    The Food Lab: Animal Fat Mayonnaise | Serious Eats
    Then I played.
    There are all sorts of wonderful herb and spice combinations to try!
    Everyone is bound to have a favorite.

You can make small batches, OR add whey! Which makes the Mayo last much longer in the refrigerator and adds probiotic goodness to it.
    Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise | CHEESESLAVE
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi Crabbcakes, can the children have eggs ???? I have started making an aioli that is the best stuff ever !!!!!!
    I put 2 eggs, teaspoon of mustard, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, garlic, parsley, mint etccc... to taste, into a blender.
    Once blended I slowly drizzle olive oil into the mixture, continuing to blend on a low speed. I usually add about 1 1/2 cups, but it gets very thick very fast. Anyway see how this goes.
    I have started to experiment a little more as I have become more confident, and it really tastes great. The original recipe added sugar, but I have been sugar free for 13/14 weeks now - so that is not an option for me !!
    let us know how you get on.
    Good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Would you send your easiest recipe version of mayo? This sounds promising! Do you make a fresh batch each time you use it, or does it keep? Thanks!
    Here it is, CC:

1 egg yolk, at room temperature
    2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cold water
    3/4 cup oil, depending on taste:
    --EVOO
    OR
    --approx. 1/4 cup coconut oil* + 1/2 cup EVOO (not so olive oil tasting)
    OR
    --approx. 1/4 cup coconut oil 1/2 cup avocado oil
    OR
    --3/4 cup avocado oil
    OR
    --3/4 cup walnut oil
    OR
    --3/4 MCT oil**
    OR
    --any combination of oil that adds up to 3/4 cup

Whisk together the egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, salt and water by hand until frothy, about 1 minute. (It works best done in a narrow cup with an immersion blender instead of whisking.)

Continue whisking while drizzling the oil in very, very slowly. Once the mayonnaise starts to thicken, you can drizzle the rest of the oil in a bit faster, whisking the whole time. The mayonnaise is done when all the oil has been mixed in and the consistency is fairly thick.

*Note that because coconut oil is solid at "room" temp, it's not a good choice to use 100% because the mayo gets too firm.
    **Because MCT oil doesn't really have a taste at all, this is a good choice if you're planning on adding different seasonings.

I've read that melted bacon fat works very well, but I haven't tried it myself (yet)--although it may also need to be blended with another oil to keep the consistency of the mayo the way you want. But if you're going to blend the mayo with a thinner liquid, it doesn't matter how firm it gets in the fridge.

This makes about 1 cup, and so far that much has lasted about 10 days, refrigerated, before we ate it all!

cheekymonster is offline Junior Member
    Can your child have sesame oil? I love it and dribble it on my salads as is.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    sbhikes, that looks so delicious! What did you serve it with?
    I put it on salmon, baked the salmon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I put it on salmon, baked the salmon.
    Thanks, I will definitely be making that!

lexie is offline Senior Member
    What about a hollandaise sauce? I think I saw a thread here recently that talked about other fats to sub in for the butter in hollandaise or bearnaise? It would be somewhat similar to melted margarine, so it might satisfy the kiddos. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64964.html

Other toppers I liked as a kid were ranch dressing (now I mix some Penzey's spices ranch mix with yogurt to get a primal version), my brother loved barbecue sauce, particularly on broccoli which would be easy to primalize, or honey mustard, also pretty easy to DIY. Hope this helps!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Dude.

BACCCCCOOOOONNNNNNN!

Bacon on any veg is amazeballs!

Lard is insanely tasty!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Dude.

BACCCCCOOOOONNNNNNN!

Bacon on any veg is amazeballs!

Lard is insanely tasty!
    I recently had to nix all olive oil and nut oils from my diet... (oxalates)

When I told husband I couldn't use olive oil anymore his response was a confused "Then what are you going to do?"

My response to him was basically what I quoted above. More bacon fat/lard!

He's good with that.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast