Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Margarine Mayhem in My House! page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Coconut butter is a lot like that coconut cream block. I think it's just a little finer-ground.

I think this was the recipe I used for the dressing. I'm not sure I had exactly all those ingredients and yet it was still yummy.
    Green Salad with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

I don't make tahini ginger sauce. There's a restaurant in town that makes it. I have never found anything as good as that.

I kind of make special sauces my 20%. Tonight I'm putting Thai peanut sauce on our stir-fry. I can't really read the ingredients on the label but I'm sure there's MSG and sugar and soy and peanuts and god only knows what chemicals, but it helps make a meal both of us can eat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Is the Earth Balance going to kill them, no, in my opinion. They even make it soy-free. We still use that in our house for my kiddos---both allergic to dairy and I avoid it. Why fight the fight at all would be my answer!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Is the Earth Balance going to kill them, no, in my opinion. They even make it soy-free. We still use that in our house for my kiddos---both allergic to dairy and I avoid it. Why fight the fight at all would be my answer!
    Hi Solstice!

It would normally be my answer, too. They have lived eating it so far, haven't they? But I changed their fats to better reflect the Primal standard, and found that my Third has a major jump in language ability with a much-improved o-3/o-6 ratio, and I used to only be able to affect that by giving her huge amounts of fish oil DHA. I really want these improvements to stick around, and so far they have, only by adjusting this one thing (this is also the kid who uses a computer-assisted talking device, and is shy about talking to anybody other than trusted people, so this gets complicated fast). I won't bore you with any more special-kid talk, but I just wanted to say that her Mama just can't go back to that after seeing those kinds of improvements.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    What about Ghee mixed with wheat free Tamari? As far as pestos go I've made variations w/o Parmesan. Instead I've used garlic cloves cooked slightly in olive oil, to soften their flavor and then used what ever herb/nut combo I like parsley& walnut cilantro and pecan and instead of cheese I use brewer's yeast. I've even made it with kale and it tastes great.

Another yummy sauce is a roasted red pepper and walnut sauce. Roast peppers, maybe 3, combine with about 1/2 cup of walnuts, salt, lemon juice and olive oil and if you like spicy add red pepper flakes, a little honey and olive oil in a food processor. Process it until you like the consistency. It's great over grilled meats and on veggies. I love it on roasted cauliflower.

One other favorite is Charomoula Sauce; I'm not sure how kid friendly it is but your hubby may like it.

Classic Moroccan Charmoula For Fish Recipe - Food.com - 77613

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hi Solstice!

It would normally be my answer, too. They have lived eating it so far, haven't they? But I changed their fats to better reflect the Primal standard, and found that my Third has a major jump in language ability with a much-improved o-3/o-6 ratio, and I used to only be able to affect that by giving her huge amounts of fish oil DHA. I really want these improvements to stick around, and so far they have, only by adjusting this one thing (this is also the kid who uses a computer-assisted talking device, and is shy about talking to anybody other than trusted people, so this gets complicated fast). I won't bore you with any more special-kid talk, but I just wanted to say that her Mama just can't go back to that after seeing those kinds of improvements.
    Hi there! I didnt realize you had changed and you were seeing improvements...just thought you were trying to be more primal! I guess my go to would be bacon fat---I know it disappears quickly in our house as well. I render down lard in the winter from pastured pork, but there is something about bacon grease that is tastier---probably the salt!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Choco- If you read the entire post you would have found that this is primarily a kid issue...
    And one of the kids has some very particular sensory issues.
    I did read that, and it makes it more troubling. The fact that the kids "need" a topper is a problem in and of itself. This is exactly how bad habits develop, and they lead to all kinds of problems later in life (specifically obesity). Now's a great time to break that habit and get the kids eating real food instead of food with junk sloshed on top of it. Most Americans don't even have properly functioning taste buds because everything on their plate is coated in salt, sugar or butter.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    What about coconut cream, if the problem is that lard is too hard at room temperature to easily spread?

Coconut cream is actually cheaper here than dairy cream.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Most Americans don't even have properly functioning taste buds because everything on their plate is coated in salt, sugar or butter.
    I highly doubt salt or butter are causing any issues for the American palate.

To the OP - could you try making ghee for your kids? If you toast the ghee until dark golden brown and then triple strain it, it is very delicious and probably safe for those that are dairy intolerant. (Probably NOT safe for people with an IgE mediated true allergy though).
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Right... because a small amount of fat on a plate of steamed vegetables is going to really harm a kid.

Adding some extra flavor to the vegetables through some butter (or other fat) is not really any different than adding it through the addition of a sauce of herbs, citrus, wine reduction etc that you suggested as a perfectly acceptable way to alter the flavor of the vegetables... except that sometimes it's faster and easier for a busy mother of several children. Especially if those children each like different flavors!
    Altering taste is altering taste. Plain and simple.
    If there is room in the diet calorically there is no reason not to have some FAT.

Adding a a "topper" doesn't meant the food has to "swim" in fat...
    Adding salt doesn't mean that you can no longer taste the food...
    Adding sugar doesn't meant that it whatever you've added it to becomes like syrup.

BTW... don't you use salt. And also add sugar to foods?
    That's a lot of taste altering going on.
    Just because you are against adding fat, doesn't mean every one should be.

Also... as you obviously don't know... dealing with special needs children is not the same as dealing with other children.
    Regardless, if you're the kind of man who will make your kids spend their lives eating plain steamed vegetables with no flavor enhancement at all... I hope there are no women out there fool enough procreate with you. That would be a miserable food-nazi household indeed! LOL
    **Edit: Also... children with parents who are that strict tend to be awful about stealing/cheating with food later... it does not set them up for living with a healthy life long food attitude.
    I know some food-nazi moms.... you should see what those kids are like when they get out side of the moms direct control. It's scary, they will over eat the "bad" foods until they get sick all while doing the "OMG Mom NEVER lets me have these!!!". Not a healthy and responsible food relationship at all. I don't think you understand children at all.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast