Thread: Fight the urge page

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

Fight the urge

Shop Now
    ...to do more shit? Anyone have this issue? My program is pretty basic with limited accessory work. Do you ever find yourself wanting to throw in some extra crap, "just for fun". I find this happening with back exercises more than anything. Some cable rows, lat pulldowns, maybe some breathing pullovers, hypers. These always come after weighted chins and barbell rows of course

For me, back is the one area that never feels like its worked, although a day or so later it does...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

AndyFossett is offline Junior Member
    I know the feeling well, and I always end up creating these uber-programs for myself that are impossible to follow.

The one thing I like to remind myself of is that, if I've got enough juice for a bunch of extra stuff, I'm not devoting enough effort to my priority areas.

Don't know if that helps necessarily, but... yeah, you're not the only one who does that.
    He who laughs last didn't really get the joke.
    Andy Fossett - Gold Medal Bodies

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Currently on my second whole30 and I have found that during the 2nd wk I get crazy amounts of energy in the gym. I'll run a few miles, complete an entire WOD, add some pull ups, a mini WOD, then maybe I'll feel satisfied.

I also find I teeter bw chronic cardio. Since I'm fit a few miles doesn't kill me, but add on a WOD and I think I'm headed that way.

So yeah, you're not alone.... But I'd rather it be this way than having zero motivation to work out. I know people struggle with that, but we're some of the few who enjoy it. Embrace that ahaha

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nah, I hit it hard with little to no rest between exercises all to failure. When I'm done I'm done. I did run 5 miles for no particular reason today.....but it was just a leisurely jog so may as well been walking it.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I've found away to ensure that my back feels exhausted after a workout. On my military press day (I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 program) I use chins as my assistance work but instead of doing it after my main lift I do 5 sets of chins before I start the OHP, then I do a set of chins after each set of presses. I do eight sets of presses (3 sets as the 5/3/1 program and then 5 sets of 10 as accessory work) so that makes 13 sets of chins. My back is smoked when I'm done.

I got this idea from Wendler's Q&A. He says he always does 5 sets of chins before every pressing workout (flat and military) and he always supersets the presses with a set of chins right after.

It works for me.

AndyFossett is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    I got this idea from Wendler's Q&A. He says he always does 5 sets of chins before every pressing workout (flat and military) and he always supersets the presses with a set of chins right after.
    As an aside, Wendler's Q&As are always hilarious and awesome.
    He who laughs last didn't really get the joke.
    Andy Fossett - Gold Medal Bodies

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I love Wendler's attitude and approach toward fitness and life. I was doing full body workouts and wasn't really interested in a split routine but after reading 5/3/1 I bought in to his philosophy so much that I decided to give it a shot and have been very happy so far.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 08-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.