Thread: I moved! page

sjmc is offline Senior Member

I moved!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To Amsterdam! Aahh! Doing a logic masters. I'm loving riding around on a bike, but I don't love getting my pants soaked when the rain comes out of nowhere. I think I've heard people here mention Albert Heijn and how awful it is. I get it now. It seems the Dutch love packaged food.

And bread. I ate very little the first few days at my introduction program. There's not even a substantial middle to eat out a sandwich. Slice of ham, slice of cheese (not both!). And juice.

I'm still waiting for my bank account to open and I'm losing so many euros on such good beer. I can't find really dark chocolate--maybe at an actual chocolate shop. And yesterday I ate the worst burger patty of my life--tasted like a fast food patty, like it had 'meat flavoring,' and super well-done. I haven't seen anything superior to the way most American eat, but I guess that's new.

Anyway, I'm doing well for myself so far...

Just wanted to share! : D

Luce is offline Senior Member
    A logic master, Amsterdam and beer? Oh my, I'd couldn't dwell long on that

You'll find the good stuff over there too, this is not the best time of the year to go looking for chocolate -there are some great belgium extra dark you'll probably love to pieces.

A logic master? Damn, that's cool.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Welcome here! I have been introduction coach for international students in Amsterdam, so if you have any questions, be my guest.

I think you haven't found the food markets yet? Where you can find all your veggies, fruits and nuts for a cheaper price. I have to admit you better do being a semi-vegetarian during your stay in Amsterdam, the meat is expensive and mostly of bad quality. You can however ask for bones at (again: market) butchers 'Slagers' and prepare nourishing soups and rely on eggs for protein. Albert Heijn isn't so bad once you have found your way. Try the 'toetjes' if you do eat dairy! Superior to whatever sweet stuff you can find in the US.

Depending where you live in the city, go to the open market 'Dappermarkt', or the food market in Noord on the 'Buikslotermeerplein'. Enjoy your stay and don't sweat the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    A logic master, Amsterdam and beer? Oh my, I'd couldn't dwell long on that

You'll find the good stuff over there too, this is not the best time of the year to go looking for chocolate -there are some great belgium extra dark you'll probably love to pieces.

A logic master? Damn, that's cool.

Luce
    Thanks Luce, I think it's pretty cool too! The program has tracks for philosophy, computer science, math, and linguistics --it's a great hodgepodge of interesting stuff. I'm excited to try some Belgian chocolate. I picked up a chocolate bar at the store, thinking 'puur' would mean super dark, but looks like it's just to distinguish it from 'melk' chocolate. Now I know to stay away from ones with 'suiker' high up on the list, at least.

One good thing about Albet Heijn: individual pots of full fat Fage yogurt. I brought some stevia packets with me... haven't seen that here. But the coffee tastes so good that I don't need to sweeten it, so they'll last me a little while.

: )

Small world! That's cool!

I will definitely check out those markets. I live on the East edge of the city, so they are both plenty close.

I have started to get the same impression about cutting down on the meat while here. I do love the little fish in tins, so that's good. And I ought to eat more vegetables anyway. Tonight I had a bunch of raw snap peas dipped in baba ganoush (with 'salami snacks' haha)-- I think I could just as easily dip them in one of the many fish pates I've seen for protein.

Thanks for the pointers! : )

Luce is offline Senior Member
    *_____* logic *_____*

Sulker bad being primal speeds up the learning process, at least when it is about foods/work out names. I'd be doomed though, most sounds I just can't produce (though reading I could learn fast enough for fish sake).
    My partner had family over there and he misses salted licorice from when he was a little boy and I buy it for him when I find it.

Anyway toetjes <3 (Hangop,and an apple tart. I was already too ill to eat or I would have tried them all).

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.